Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But it was because of that film I heard Almost Unreal which I liked. Though the video for it just means I always hear the "Daisy!" "Luigi!" exchange. And how could we forget the dancing goombas and koopas (that totally looked like goombas and koopas) on the elevator. Classic moment. 😁

I am curious enough to watch again since saw it as a kid on TV and want to see how bad it really was. Don't think I saw it in the cinema

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, it's time for another episode of "set the sliders to the lowest settings and call it a day" for Switch ports; today it's WRC 10. I had heard the port was pretty terrible - but yeah, this looks like another Zero Effort job. And with games like Grid it's not like racing games on Switch can't look pretty. I wonder was it a lack of time, money or direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It seems like more laziness on the part of developers.

In fairness, most consoles have seen this kind of thing, I remember Bayonetta on the 360 being fantastic but the PS3 version being relatively lousy, yet the Switch edition is probably the definitive, the 360 being the target hardware, the PS3 a lazy port and the Switch version rebuilt from the ground up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

How good is Shovel Knight Treasure Trove ?

Still seems to maintain a relatively high price for a 3rd party game.

Thinking of getting the physical version.

Grid was originally an Xbox 360 game so not really surprising that something developed 2 generations back originally works well on the switch

Something like WRC 10 has the PS4 gen as a base level really and something like that just won't sell much on switch in the first place so not worth putting much cost in (dev time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

RUMOR: Mario movie info leaks (plot, characters, musical numbers, redesigns, and much more)

The GoNintendo article is fine to read, it's just light information. There's much more spoiler information contained in the video below, starting at 1:02:50. Which I will be avoiding myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

But that doesn't explain why, according to Switch Up at least, WRC 9 is considerably better looking than WRC 10.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Can't say

The most likely explanation would be that the new or upgraded WRC game engine to cater for PS5 level graphics just can't run well on a low wattage 2015 tablet cpu and/or that it just wasn't worth extensive work to make it work better

Especially given that the WRC developers would know very well the sales figures on Switch of previous versions (8 and 9). This sort of game is never going to be a big seller on switch from the start and even more so given that it's a "number series sequel series game in short order" (8,9,10 all released in a short timeframe of 2 to 3 years)

Putting significant dev time (e.g. money) into overcoming the big challenges would be simply setting money on fire for effectively a vanity project and companies don't last long doing that!

Whereas Grid Autosport is based off a game released in 2014 that ran comfortably on the Xbox 360, the sort of software which the Switch handles well enough as more demanding re-releases from that era on the system have shown (e.g. Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands etc)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Switch hits 107.6m as Nintendo claims its ‘highest annual software sales ever’

Lots of interesting information. Metroid Dread has sold 2.9 million copies as of the end of March, it's possible it's crossed the 3 million mark since. The game deserves far higher sales.

They sold 23 million Switch units for the year and project to sell another 21 million this year.

Software sales grew by 1.8% year-on-year to 235.07 million units, which is the highest annual software sales figure ever for a Nintendo platform. 39 titles sold over 1 million copies during the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose, while we all rightly love the franchise, the great unwashed were never that interested in the Metroid games.

And that is a real pity, as you say Sligeach.

Fingers crossed the long delayed releases of Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster and MP4 will ignite interest finally among the more casual Switch player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What an unbelievably success the Switch has turned out to be. One wonders where they'll go from here.

Well, following the success of the Wii they followed it with a console no one wanted.

Let us hope we don't have a repeat of that performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Well said!

I guess the Switch "brand" is so ubiquitous now, it would make sense for them to build upon that with a Switch 2, 3, etc. a la Playstation. It's long been rumoured of a Switch 2 with updated graphics, higher resolution, etc. but, if following Nintendo for 25+ years has taught me anything, they never do the obvious thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I still think the chip shortage will delay any thoughts of a new console for a few years. Latest estimates from Intel big wigs is that it'll be 2024 before we see things starting to ease there

Agree. Earliest for a reveal I can see is maybe E3 time, or just before it, 2023 and a release for 2024.

Current Switch has too much momentum still going to pull the rug out from under it just yet.

Though if history is to repeat its time for a failure console. It’s been that cadence since Gamecube to Wii to Wii U to Switch :)

Although in the handheld space it’s always been success after success so maybe the next system will find a happy medium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, yeah. Why get in your own way when your existing product line is an unqualified success? The market says the Switch is still an incredibly popular console; despite its increasing lack of technical parity, clearly this isn't an issue to those purchasing the thing (though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous of some releases existing on other consoles).

Yep, Nintendo doing very well. Also, remember they hardly/rarely discount their software either, so it's $$$$ for them.

The next Switch will probably be as powerful as the Steam Deck.

I'd like a home console Switch, that just plugs into the TV, small, quiet, up to 4K, but 60 FPS as standard on all first party games, including BOTW2.

So, opposite of Switch lite, maybe like half an Xbox Series X in size... (But they can't call it GameCube 2). 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Next one they'll be talking about how they want to interact with the player more and get them more involved. They want to engage with them, you could say.

So it will be called Nintendo Gage.

😁

• Advertisement

I used to do mobile app development in a company before iPhone changed the world. We had all the quirky Nokia devices, but the N-Gage really took the biscuit. Awful phone and gaming device.

I had the thing, still do, as well as the Nokia phone around the same time, the Nokia 6630, running on the Symbian series 60 OS.

It was quite a phone for the time, I remember getting some emulators on there, including Picodrive

If anybody is looking for some more BOTW magic and hasn't tried Skyrim, I'd say give it a go.

Not sure how it plays on Switch (good reviews on Switch), but it's definitely given me a lot of the relaxed exploration and wonder vibes that BOTW did and then some. I've played on Xbox.

But, probably best to wait for a Switch sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I tried Skyrim, I think goat simulator would be better controls

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Absolutely crazy sale happening in GAME stores in the UK currently, people are grabbing Zelda Links Awakening for £14 unfortunately nothing in Newry yesterday I did get Game Builder Garage for £7 and Kingdom Hearts for £4 some barstard got Pokemon Shield with the expansion pack for £18 ahead of me.

Anyone else breaking out BOTW tonight before the lunar eclipse at 4:30am The blood moon rises once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

anyone got Switch games off amzon UK (sold/dispatch by amazon) only to receive an empty case with cart missing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

What game? Amazon do sell codes in boxes for some releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

I am aware of that, but either way the box was empty. it was the switch card version of breath of the Wild

I just used the amazon bot chat thing, it just auto issued a refund. looking at reviews from switch games it seems to have happened to a few people

• Advertisement

Yep, I often find the low ball reviews are because the cart was missing/stolen from the case.

Advertisement