Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Banjo wrote: »
    While I can appreciate where you're coming from now you state it plainly, my use of the word was in the classical chemical sense rather than playground. In many ways, me being educated beyond the ability to empathise in this situation makes me the victim.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

While I can appreciate where you're coming from now you state it plainly, my use of the word was in the classical chemical sense rather than playground. In many ways, me being educated beyond the ability to empathise in this situation makes me the victim.....?

I can appreciate where you're going The ICU

Youre not the victim not yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You'll have to catch me first. And how will you do that? How can you tell the difference between me and the visions that haunt you, memories of what those eyes saw before they were plucked from a 9 year old boy working in a blood diamond mine and sewn into your face? (I'm going to have to butch up, carry a machete everywhere and wear full black-face for a while but if you ever do catch up to me, you're going to be crippled by flashbacks to poor little Ngode's horrifying ordeals.)
    Also, what did you do with the buttons those eyes replaced? I need to repair a favourite jacket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think we should take a moment and think of today's real victims....

Disgruntled WiiU Owners.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Justice For The 7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thanks for the replies folks. Did they ever sort out that issue with the dock marking the screen?

I'm kind of hoping Gamestop do some sort of Switch summer bundle next year like they did for the Wii-U a couple of years back. Or if by that stage there are rumours of an upgrade I'll hold out for that. Truth is a Nintendo machine is always about the exclusives for me so I can hold out until there's a stack of them to choose from.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Disgruntled WiiU Owners.

Sometimes I think I'm in that camp but when I look at the games I got for it, and the brilliant deal Gamestop had when I picked it up - I can't complain too much. Yep, I never liked the gamepad, the console itself was a bit puny and didn't last too long but the exclusives were amazing. Wii backwards compatibility was handy too.

Looking at the games on my shelf I can honestly say that it was a stunning machine and it's tragic it didn't make the sales it deserved to.
    From Wonderful 101 to Super Mario 3D World, from Yoshi's Woolly World to Mario Maker, it was a great platform for innovation, and a source of sadness when it didn't get the love it should have.
    That said, it's five years now since it's release and we would be due a replacement, I like to think we got the Switch a year early, and those WiiU titles aren't going anywhere and remain as good now as when released, and are still worth playing.

Ahem, quite a lot of those Wii U titles are going somewhere - specifically, to a list marked "Full price ports for Switch". That's where a lot of the disgruntledness comes from. That these games were so good they'll be sold to us twice, but somehow the WiiU wasn't good enough to advertise or support once...

(this is not the truth, this is a subjective impression of the truth. In that respect I'm not sure which is worse - the idea that W101 would get ported to Switch or that it would not get ported and would be denied so many. Which I suppose betrays my inherent bias - that I want it to get ported, but then I want the port for free as an existing owner)

That's where a lot of the disgruntledness comes from. That these games were so good they'll be sold to us twice, but somehow the WiiU wasn't good enough to advertise or support once...

Who is buying it twice though? I know I wouldn't.

If the portability of these ports is drawing you in, weigh up whether a portable version is worth €60.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Who is buying it twice though? I know I wouldn't.

If the portability of these ports is drawing you in, weigh up whether a portable version is worth €60.

Man, you just don't get it, do you....

I own the Wii U gamecube adapter and I don't even play Smash. I have a tub full of Amiibo that I don't scan. I have Nintendo coasters on my kitchen table.
    "Who is buying it twice..." - stop acting like I have a choice!

• Advertisement

Man, you just don't get it, do you....

I own the Wii U gamecube adapter and I don't even play Smash. I have a tub full of Amiibo that I don't scan. I have Nintendo coasters on my kitchen table.
    "Who is buying it twice..." - stop acting like I have a choice!

You're just lucky there's no numbering system on the spines of the boxes!

Oh you're missing number 6? You can't jump from 5 to 7. You'll need to get it.

It's Amiibo Festival Deluxe but that hardly matters. It's number SIX.

If a game is good enough I'll buy it again.
    I think the ideal way, aside from using a disk or downloaded one on a user's account unlocking the content for download, which is what MS have been doing, would be a reduced price edition for everyone, like the Nintendo Classics series.

You'll have to catch me first. And how will you do that? How can you tell the difference between me and the visions that haunt you, memories of what those eyes saw before they were plucked from a 9 year old boy working in a blood diamond mine and sewn into your face? (I'm going to have to butch up, carry a machete everywhere and wear full black-face for a while but if you ever do catch up to me, you're going to be crippled by flashbacks to poor little Ngode's horrifying ordeals.)
    Also, what did you do with the buttons those eyes replaced? I need to repair a favourite jacket.

I need a psychiatric evaluation to discuss my Kevin Spacey encounters now, how am I supposed to buy the snes mini at €515 from you now.

I've bought quite a few games on different formats also bought platinum or re released versions of games I'd already own for new functionality or bonuses. Kinda like a directors cut of movies or Malibu Stacey with NEW HAT...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Looking at the games on my shelf I can honestly say that it was a stunning machine and it's tragic it didn't make the sales it deserved to.
    From Wonderful 101 to Super Mario 3D World, from Yoshi's Woolly World to Mario Maker, it was a great platform for innovation, and a source of sadness when it didn't get the love it should have.
    That said, it's five years now since it's release and we would be due a replacement, I like to think we got the Switch a year early, and those WiiU titles aren't going anywhere and remain as good now as when released, and are still worth playing.

Sure the Wii U may be 5 years old(it's not really until the middle of November) but the last couple of years were overall fairly terrible. In the last year, the really good games I think were just Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Paper Mario: Colour Splash and of course BOTW. There was a 5 month gap between the last 2. BOTW was the last truly major release back in March so it lasted 4 and a half years. Nintendo ceased production back in 2016. It does have great games, I don't regret any purchases except maybe Star Fox Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And the Switch has sold many units in 6 ya as the Wii U did in its lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Star Lord wrote: »
    And the Switch has sold many units in 6 ya as the Wii U did in its lifetime.

Good attractive hardware along with great software from the get go works wonders as well as a clear message of what the system is. They pretty much nailed it so far since launch.

There's a lot of factors that led to Wii U's demise. It's stupid name, lack of advertising, muddied advertising, weak specs, lack of content, Nintendo really struggled with the transition to HD. failed to show the usefulness of the gamepad and so much more. One of the biggest problems was that 3DS got off to a disastrous start, Nintendo had to knock €100 off it within months, the 3DS had its own problems initially. Nintendo couldn't focus on both and chose 3DS over Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

dunworth1 wrote: »
    officially?

The only event Nintendo are supporting officially is Games Expo Ireland in the RDS. You can even see it in some of Nintendo sponsored social media posts promoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

sligeach wrote: »
    There's a lot of factors that led to Wii U's demise. It's stupid name, lack of advertising, muddied advertising, weak specs, lack of content, Nintendo really struggled with the transition to HD. failed to show the usefulness of the gamepad and so much more. One of the biggest problems was that 3DS got off to a disastrous start, Nintendo had to knock €100 off it within months, the 3DS had its own problems initially. Nintendo couldn't focus on both and chose 3DS over Wii U.

The name was the biggest mistake in my view. People (the casuals) were sick to the teeth of the Wii and it was a mistake to think they could trade further on that name.
    Also, the name itself muddied the water, sure everyone thought it was an add-on like the WiiFit.
    Even Wii2 would have worked better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The WiiU name doomed it to failure. The Wii, while I think is a fantastic console unfairly labelled as terrible, was a flash in the pan success with casual consumers that had since moved to mobile, that market just wasn't there. The name also lead consumers to believe it was another add on for the Wii. All the marketing was screaming 'a brand new console' when Nintendo realised their mistake but it just didn't work, their marketing was just all wrong.

I can't blame Nintendo for the lack of software either. They are the most prolific console developer, producing far more games than any other publisher but if your console sales are so weak it's hard to be the only source of games on an entire platform. In my eyes they went above and beyond in delivering games and found the WiiU had far more worthwhile exclusives than the PS4 and Xbox One which are near homogenous and utterly redundant next to a gaming PC.

I think focusing solely on the Switch is the best course of action for Nintendo and the sales figures back that up. The 3DS is in dire need of a replacement and they can't compete against Sony and MS, especially as their (very successful) marketing push has been focused of building up a rabid cultish fanbase. They have totally pulled all support from the 3DS but haven't abandoned it yet. There's still two years of sales left in the system so Nintendo are relying on 3rd party support and funding second party development, including a final Pokn game to give it one last death gasp.

With the whole might of Nintendo's development teams now focused solely on the Switch Nintendo are in a good position. If the Switch fails like the WiiU they could at least avoid the content droughts that were on the WiiU. If it succeeds then they will have a wealth of quality titles to see it through the first xmas. And the Switch looks to be a winner. It will be a big seller this xmas and once it has exposure it's going to explode in xmas 2018. Honestly it's a sound business plan and I can't see how people can complain about it.

I really don't see the butthurt over the WiiU, Nintendo supported it the best it could and it was pretty much the only console with a wide variety of decent exclusives. As long as you had a second console to support it it was a fine machine, and really you were fooling yourself if you bought it thinking it would be a success. I traded my PS4 launch pre-order for a WiiU because it was quite frankly a far better machine (and as a PC gamer, still maintain it is) and have not regretted it. Now if I didn't have a PC then it might be a different story but I still think the PS4 took way too long to become a worthwhile purchase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also just want to add about people thinking that 2018 will be a very sparse year for game releases from Nintendo. Unlike other companies Nintendo doesn't go on multi year hype build ups for games. A lot of their games get announced very close to the end of development and released a few months later. They did this with Mario Odyssey, Arms and Splatoon. Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 seem to be exceptions but then nothing gets the fans worked up like those two franchises.

Surely any replacement for the 3DS is going to suffer for not being as powerful as the Switch? And the mere existence of a 3DS successor hurts the Switch. Where's the "win" in bringing out a new dedicated handheld?

I don't want to be one of those "do a Sega and go Software-only" people, but maybe they need to take stock of what works for Mobile and what should stay a proper console game, then move the appropriate experiences to Android. Bolster it, by all means, with an awesome range of peripherals to create the full Nintendo experience on the go (personally I pray for a Moto Mod that turns my phone into a system with the playability of the 3DS and the hardware grunt of a Dodge Interceptor V8) but I can't see the benefit of a dedicated mobile platform competing with both phones and their hybrid platform. Unless it's a "Newer 3DS" with full backwards compatibility, the DS Mini and GBA Mini cartridges full of classics and with upgraded screens and specs.

Obviously, to put this in perspective, I thought the Switch was a terrible idea that really only benefited me at the expense of all other gamers. And I was flattered but deeply worried. So if a 3DS replacement is on the way, it's probably a better idea than I think it is. Like maybe it's basically 2 screens stuck together, the top screen can be detached to be used in a VR headset and the bottom half has the controller buttons. But you can pair Joycons with it for a more immersive experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I thought the Wii U name stuff was somewhat overstated until two people I'd call decently dedicated game fans expressed surprise when I presented mine to them for a whirl of something and their first response was "oh, it's actually a new console." That said, it was something like 3 months after launch that Nintendo starting running ads stating "Wii U: the new console from Nintendo."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 seem to be exceptions but then nothing gets the fans worked up like those two franchises.

They announced Shin Megami Tensei 5, Yoshi, Kirby, Project OctoPath & Pokemon in particular early too.
    Its the way games practically get made now; announce early, show as little as possible to excite & appease fans and then sort out the rest later :cool:

Surely any replacement for the 3DS is going to suffer for not being as powerful as the Switch? And the mere existence of a 3DS successor hurts the Switch. Where's the "win" in bringing out a new dedicated handheld?

I don't want to be one of those "do a Sega and go Software-only" people, but maybe they need to take stock of what works for Mobile and what should stay a proper console game, then move the appropriate experiences to Android. Bolster it, by all means, with an awesome range of peripherals to create the full Nintendo experience on the go (personally I pray for a Moto Mod that turns my phone into a system with the playability of the 3DS and the hardware grunt of a Dodge Interceptor V8) but I can't see the benefit of a dedicated mobile platform competing with both phones and their hybrid platform. Unless it's a "Newer 3DS" with full backwards compatibility, the DS Mini and GBA Mini cartridges full of classics and with upgraded screens and specs.

Obviously, to put this in perspective, I thought the Switch was a terrible idea that really only benefited me at the expense of all other gamers. And I was flattered but deeply worried. So if a 3DS replacement is on the way, it's probably a better idea than I think it is. Like maybe it's basically 2 screens stuck together, the top screen can be detached to be used in a VR headset and the bottom half has the controller buttons. But you can pair Joycons with it for a more immersive experience...

It's pretty much confirmed that there will be no 3DS replacement, the switch is combining the handheld and home console markets. Nintendo are milking the 3DS but they know it's on life support. They have pulled all their teams off 3DS game development and all Nintendo internal developers are solely working on Switch. Nintendo are focusing on one console now.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    They announced Shin Megami Tensei 5, Yoshi, Kirby, Project OctoPath & Pokemon in particular early too.
    Its the way games practically get made now; announce early, show as little as possible to excite & appease fans and then sort out the rest later :cool:

I'm pretty sure Kirby, Yoshi and Octopath will be out early next year. What they showed looks like they are very far in development with Octopath having a playable demo. SMT5 is an Atlus game and they announce their projects very early. As for Pokn, it's a bit like Metroid Prime 4. It's too early to show anything but they announced them to make it clear that they will be coming to the switch, which for Pokn and Metroid is a one two punch aimed at the casual and hardcore gaming audience.

Thar be some long posts yonder... Looong posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I thought the Wii U name stuff was somewhat overstated until two people I'd call decently dedicated game fans expressed surprise when I presented mine to them for a whirl of something and their first response was "oh, it's actually a new console." That said, it was something like 3 months after launch that Nintendo starting running ads stating "Wii U: the new console from Nintendo."

No I don't think it was.
    The manager of an argos thought it was a wii add-on and tried to sell me the wii mini becuase it was cheaper.
    I run a mario maker club in my library and I've gotten over being surprised from the lack of awareness of the WiiU from parents.
    'The Wii still going strong.'
    'We have a wii at home'
    'Oh it's a different console'
    'Mario Maker didn't work on ours'
    Etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ugh.

Bought a Wii u in GameStop. Simply wanted to play Zelda twilight princess before considering getting a switch.

20 hours play logged and the screen on the controller went on the blink. Brought the whole kit back to game stop and they replaced it.

Came home to find they’d replaced the whole thing, new Wii u and new controller.

Saved game gone.

Really don’t wanna go through it all again.

Anyone any ideas on what I should do?stuck between Resell it or go back and ask can I have the one I had back?

Any ideas welcome.

*would they buy it back and does anyone know what rate they give? Bought it used off them with Zelda for €230

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Ugh.

Bought a Wii u in GameStop. Simply wanted to play Zelda twilight princess before considering getting a switch.

20 hours play logged and the screen on the controller went on the blink. Brought the whole kit back to game stop and they replaced it.

Came home to find they’d replaced the whole thing, new Wii u and new controller.

Saved game gone.

Really don’t wanna go through it all again.

Anyone any ideas on what I should do?stuck between Resell it or go back and ask can I have the one I had back?

Any ideas welcome.

*would they buy it back and does anyone know what rate they give? Bought it used off them with Zelda for €230

There was your first mistake, buying something from Gamestop. Rip-off merchants. Was it the white or black Wii U? Boxed? You would have found far better deals on Adverts, Donedeal, etc. Bring it back, tell them you want the first Wii U they sold you, explain about the save file and tell them to replace the gamepad. Or if you could somehow, ask for a refund. When did you buy it? Can't have been long ago if you've only played 20 hours.

Advertisement