Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

What a terrible article that doesn’t even report what he said and makes assumptions.

Try this instead

“I think we would consider [putting Call of Duty on the Switch’s successor] once we had the specs but we don’t have any at present”.

and

“Given closer alignment of Gen 8 platforms and our previous offerings on PS4 and Xbox One, it’s reasonable to assume we can make something compelling for NG [next-gen] Switch as well.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nintendo must be hearing all this wondering what their future plans have to do with the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo hasn’t asked for Mortal Kombat characters to appear in Smash Bros.

Super Smash Bros. has brought in characters from all sorts of legendary franchises – including fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken, and Fatal Fury – but Mortal Kombat has been left out of the mix.

Do you know what the ironic thing is? Switch has had a new Mortal Kombat game, it hasn't from the others. I've said it before, there's a lot of guest 3rd party characters in Smash that don't deserve to be, having had little to no history on Nintendo consoles.

I'd be more surprised at the lack of Resident Evil or even Ace Attorney characters than Mortal Kombat especially since they try and work something in that relates to be what they're known for. So can't see them having Sub Zero rip out Mario's spine, since violence and Fatalities are what the franchise is best known for.

Though now curious how that would work for Kirby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Be interesting to see how they market a straight upgrade a la the GCN or SNES as it's been so long since they even attempted to sell something on improved specs alone, the odd 3DS/DS redesign notwithstanding.

The delineation may be in the controller. The rumour above notes that the dev kit does not include controllers. Differentiating in the control scheme has been Nintendos thing for decades in both console and handheld systems.

The best bit I take from the rumour is this:

"they are using the pro controller with the devkit, not the controllers because they do not want it to leak under any circumstances".

I cannot express adequately enough how much I detest the Joy-Cons. They're the worst Nintendo controller ever, no mean feat for Nintendo's most expensive controller ever. They are tiny pieces of 💩. They're uncomfortable to hold, tiny control sticks, no d pad, tiny buttons, tiny shoulder buttons(no analogue triggers) and they feel cheap.

If you want a good way to play, you've to spend another €65 on the Pro Controller. Which itself isn't perfect. The Pro Controller was around €90 I think at launch, and a pair of Joy-Cons were €110 iirc. They have come down in price since though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I suppose a compromise had to be met to allow the handheld / docking console concept to work.

I wouldn't want anything bigger than the joycon sized sticks/buttons on a Switch when it's in handheld mode. As you said, you can just use a pro controller then when it's docked.

Saying that, the omission of a D pad an the drift issue which still persists to this day are really big annoyances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Agree re joycons. They should at least offer a Switch with either a pro controller or joycons, based on your preferred play style, either docked or mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hey,

my son's Switch console has experienced the 'blue screen of death' (I didn't even know blue screen of death was a thing for the Switch until it happened!!)

I had a look online and didn't find much.. tried a method of letting the battery completely run flat, then pressing the on/off button, and then plugging it into its charger again... but nothing, still blue screen of death!!

Would anyone know any other things to try to maybe fix/restore it? or is it completely goosed? Also are there reputable repair options available (North Dublin).

And lastly, if it is indeed goosed, would there be any way to extract the game data from it to put onto a new console (if we go down that route)? It would be mainly for his Minecraft stuff as he has some quite extensive worlds built up...

I set up a Nintendo account when he got the console (Christmas 2021), so would any of the data have been backed up in some way?

Also with the console being only 18 months old, would there be any warranty available on it? (bought from Argos who are now gone from Ireland).

Appreciate any help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

That's not good, I'd never heard of that either.

You should have a 24 month warranty - https://fs-prod-cdn.nintendo-europe.com/media/downloads/support_1/nintendoswitch/NSwitch_HardwareWarranty_EN.pdf

Contact Nintendo support they should be able to help - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Contact/General-Customer-Service/Contact-Us-1106389.html#/

Save data is only backed up online if you have a paid for Nintendo Switch Online account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Definitely don’t have a paid account so I guess the data is lost unless they can somehow fix/recover it…

I’ll get onto their support and see what I can do… I’m pretty sure I have the receipt kept, and I deffo have the email from when I reserved it…

Nintendo Spaceworld 2000: The Ultimate Video (2023) Unseen & Remastered Footage

Seeing that Rebirth trailer was cool, haven't seen that in years. It was really impressive, it still is. I've posted the full clip below, I'd like to see it in HD. Also, we don't get events like this anymore, which is a shame.

GameCube Rebirth Tech Demo (Spaceworld 2000)

(Rumour)Nintendo’s Next Console May Have Scroll Wheels

POS. Pinch of salt. 🧂

So this was NWPlayer123 back in 2016.

RUMOR: Nintendo’s Developer Portal Updated & Gearing Up For An NX Reveal?

NX was added to the Nintendo Developer Portal a month before Switch was revealed in October 2016.

So fast forward to the present day, this was an image from a Tweet that they posted yesterday but have since deleted.

Nintendo Developer Portal Allegedly Updated To Support Switch Successor

But then they also posted this.

Post edited by sligeach on

Looking back.

Switch Lite was announced in July 2019.

Switch OLED was announced in July 2021.

So I wonder could we see a new hardware announcement in July 2023.

I can exclusively reveal the first image of Nintendo's next gen controller.

What if?

We could have been stealthily given the name of the Switch successor before it's been officially revealed. I know this is a stretch but maybe it's a launch game for the Switch Wonder this holiday.

Wasn't there a console called the wonder swan ... So I don't think it'll have wonder in the name ... yes a handheld console too ...

• Advertisement

Apparently that Dev Site rumour was fake.

Nice Zelda site on Nintendo.co.jp but has an English version. Doesn't look to have TOTK spoilers, but visit at your own risk. It does seem to confirm the timeline placement of BOTW and TOTK

Or lack thereof ;). Taking place in a separate timeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone gotten or are getting the Nitro Deck for Switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Got the joycons I sent for repair back from Nintendo and theyre worse! 😄

Picture of piano and candels from St Andrews Church Dublin Zelda piano recital last night. Was a pretty good show, but expensive for what it was and a ton of brilliant music from Ocarina of time just ignored.

The place was pretty full. Zelda has definitely become a very popular franchise after BOTW and TOTK, and rightly so.

New EU regulations mean the Nintendo switch 2 will need a reusable battery

The document states that the batteries in the devices will need to be "readily removable and replaceable by the end-user at any time during the lifetime of the product" and that: "a portable battery shall be considered readily removable by the end-user where it can be removed from a product with the use of commercially available tools, without requiring the use of specialized tools, unless provided free of charge with the product"

The original source says...

What you need to know:

■ EU regulation wants all devices to have replaceable batteries;

■ An EU official confirmed to overkill this applies to gaming devices;

■ Legislation won't go into effect until 2027, four years from now;

Will likely only impact new products;

■ The regulation will likely face pushback from hardware makers.

So I'm not sure if it will apply to Switch 2 if it's already on the market. The Switch battery isn't consumer friendly to replace for the average person. All previous Nintendo devices that used batteries were, to the best of my knowledge. From the Gameboy which was just a straight forward plastic cover to the Wii U where the cover was held in place by 2 Philips head screws, and the batteries were directly behind the cover.

To get to the battery on the Switch you have to remove the kickstand first, then the back cover, disconnect the micro SD card reader, remove an internal metal plate. There's a mix of 16 tri-wing and Philips head screws in all to remove.

Plus, I don't know if opening up the Switch like that voids your warranty.

• Advertisement

Wonder why it takes so long for it to come into effect. Even if they went with 2025, that would be enough warning.

Of course it would face pushback considering the number of people who just change their phone due to the battery not holding the charge.

Advertisement