Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No insurance, nct or tax

Options
  • 08-06-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

A friend of mine was stopped with no insurance nct or tax on a car.now she is insuranced on another car.what will happen when she go's to court and it is a first time offence and she has never been in trouble before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Ah the "friend" strikes again. I take it this friend of yours had the car taken by the Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Your 'friend' will hopefully get the book thrown at him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gavincfc1990

degsie wrote: »
    Your 'friend' will hopefully get the book thrown at him/her.

Ye I think that is what will happen to her.
    I can't see her getting away light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

A friend of mine was stopped with no insurance nct or tax on a car.now she is insuranced on another car.what will happen when she go's to court and it is a first time offence and she has never been in trouble before.

Is she insured on her own policy to drive a car that has no insurance ? Most policies won't allow u drive another car unless it's insured by someone else . Whilst I have sympathy for someone who has just got a car and it has no tax or Nct it's just a money generating exercise but if someone drives without insurance they are potentially hurting other people and they don't deserve any sympathy .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are caught without any form of insurance, it could result in:
    A fine of up to ?5,000;
    5 penalty points; and
    At the discretion of the court, a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months.
    https://www.chill.ie/blog/driving-without-insurance/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Alan_007_

dev100 wrote: »
    Most policies won't allow u drive another car unless it's insured by someone else .

Not true.

Normally* they just need to be "roadworthy", meaning taxed and NCT'd, which is still of no use to OP's "friend".

*There are exceptions, such as Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

With what people I know of have got recently, you,ll prob only get a couple hundred fine and 5 points!!!.

Advertisement