Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AP Isolation possible cause

• 08-06-2017 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

daughter i spending the Summer working in the States. She is staying on a campus with wifi access (yet to establish if there are wall fitted ethernet ports. Wifi works fine. Gave her a chromecast to use for her stay but she hit a wall during setup last night. Message on the TV screen indicates that the setup was correct but just wondering about AP Isolation ? Would this be most likely set to ON, thus scuppering the chromecast comms ? If so, would a cheapo router circumvent this issue if setup correctly if functional ethernet port was available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

Yes - if there is an ethernet port giving out dhcp you could setup a small mini wifi network that the chromecast can use and your daughter just connects to it to cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yup, AP/Access Point Isolation is the blame - it is used on larger wifi networks to ensure wireless devices cannot talk to each other, just to the main network.

She could get a Wireless Personal Hotspot & Travel Router (not a GSM/cell unit) which would connect to the campus wifi and then rebroadcast a personal/custom wifi access point which wouldn't have isolation issues etc. There are a few of those devices out there, do some research to see which suits best.
    I've used that one linked to on travel abroad to use a Chromecast in hotels, with my phone and the Chromecast on the same network so they can see each other.

...but if she had access in her room to an ethernet port like jamesd mentioned, a simple wifi router would do the job also, most likely with less fuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Setting up her own AP thats connected to the network is a serious breach of discipline in most 3rd levels here. If their IT/IS lads are on the ball she could cause herself a right headache doing that.

Read the rules/lease before going any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Yes, if IT have a 'spectrum analysing AP router' they will spot her rouge router immediately, I fitted one in our office a few months back and found two tiny little WiPG AP's hidden behind the smart TV's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

.... found two tiny little WiPG AP's hidden behind the smart TV's.

Isn't that where WiPG's are supposed to be ?

http://www.wepresentwipg.com/

wePresent is the latest technology in wireless interactive presentation systems on the market

The wePresent device is connected with HDMI, VGA and Audio to any display or AV system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ED E wrote: »
    Setting up her own AP thats connected to the network is a serious breach of discipline in most 3rd levels here. If their IT/IS lads are on the ball she could cause herself a right headache doing that.

Read the rules/lease before going any further.
    Thanks for the info ED. I'm not going to risk any hassle so I'm just going to leave it. She's working in Disneyland Orlando for the Summer. Itll be a good incentive to stay away from the TV anyhow, even though it's been pissing down for the last fortnight. :)

Thanks for all the info folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

gctest50 wrote: »
    Isn't that where WiPG's are supposed to be ?

Not when the screen already has one fitted

The others where obviously put there by someone who thought no suspicion would be raised if one was spotted.

It was kinda clever but it was spotted none the less :)

Advertisement