Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, Living Room/House Speaker ideas

Options
  • 08-06-2017 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

So, if you were planning a new build, wanted good sound in the living room for speakers and didn't mind chasing the wires because your chasing anyways, what setup would you use?

TV will be wall mounted using a cat6 cable running back to a central room with Logitech controlling some smart features,

Considering sound system to put music-tv sound to all lower level rooms.

What I dont want: Another 4 bluetooth speakers that needs power supply in each corner.

Maybe a sub on the floor and ceiling speakers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    So, if you were planning a new build, wanted good sound in the living room for speakers and didn't mind chasing the wires because your chasing anyways, what setup would you use?

TV will be wall mounted using a cat6 cable running back to a central room with Logitech controlling some smart features,

What I dont want: Another 4 bluetooth speakers that needs power supply in each corner.

Not 100% clear on your intention so based on some assumptions based on your description you plan a "central room" with equipment and just a floating tv aesthetic.

If so put the amp (presume you'll be spending a decent chunk on the amp for multi zone) in the same place and pull heavy duty speaker cable to the desired locations.

Pull as much cat5 or cat 6 cable to everywhere while you can too. Never have too much of it.
    And it can be used for low voltage home automation circuits too not just LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a nice JVC amp with mission speakers. The four corners, center and sub.

I spent about 1200 pounds on it. Not huge money but not rubbish either. That's 1200 when on sale I think the speakers are still about 800

I've loads of IO on the amp. It's smart but I never use the features. I've it on a group of power sockets that turn on hue lamps and the TV etc.

I've a chromecast and fire TV in it.

I can include it in groups with my two Google home speakers it's nice as it's a zone now on Google home so I get Spotify with it.

I wouldn't bother with smart amps I'd get the best sound and IO I can for a Budget. Wired is the way to go if you can cable it.

Cheap devices can be added to the set up to give you huge extra connectivity

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting question, I have to say it is something that I've struggled with myself.

I've a Denon AV (hidden away in the study) with 5.1 speakers in the living room, but I have to say we rarely use the 5.1 speakers and I do wonder if they are a waste.

We mostly just use the TV's speakers. Though I should point out, that while stereo only, they are massive and have incredibly good audio quality. It is a separate sound bar type thing that attaches to the length of the bottom of the TV and made by Pioneer. So certainly not your typical TV audio.

But we just find it more then good enough for the majority of TV, while being very easy to use. The 5.1 on the other hand is a bit of a pain to setup and use and I've never really felt like it enhances the movie experience, maybe just not well positioned, but then I'm not too sure how to position them better and just way too many modes on the remote that do all sorts of weird stuff. Overall just too complicated.

I do wonder if I'd be better off with a simple to use, 3D audio sound bar and subwoofer. Easier to use and less clutter and complexity.

I'd love to hear what other people think and have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have speaker cables terminating behind the TV, at the back of the room, and in the kitchen for multizone. They all feed back to a Marantz amp. Speakers were the hardest thing to purchase because of the wife acceptance factor. I finally was able to please her with white Focal Domes. I have them hanging on the wall and they actually look pretty good and give out great surround sound considering their size. Plus the base is nice and blends in nicely with the furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

jester77 wrote: »
    I have speaker cables terminating behind the TV, at the back of the room, and in the kitchen for multizone. They all feed back to a Marantz amp. Speakers were the hardest thing to purchase because of the wife acceptance factor. I finally was able to please her with white Focal Domes. I have them hanging on the wall and they actually look pretty good and give out great surround sound considering their size. Plus the base is nice and blends in nicely with the furniture.

Probably showing my audiophile-noob-neas here but for a non-audiophile, apart from 5/7.1 surround sound setups, is there much to be gained over the likes of Sonos via wired speakers? Guess for me convenience beats sound quality once quality is above a certain threshold. I have Sonos in my current house and am trying to gauge whether to go with it or wired speakers in my new house. So it's not a loaded question pushing Sonos, I'm genuinely curious and open minded trying to make a decision so appreciate perspectives.

Always found surround sound systems flaky to setup when primarily streaming videos for TV, so in my tight space open plan living room spot, may go with soundbar but consider wired surround for the loft living room space I'm planning. Bedrooms and kitchen I was planning Sonos but would be interested in hearing how others approach ot not just from hardware but software side too (anything that isnt easy via an app won't get ised in our house).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

B-D-P-- wrote: »

I would plan for this run your speaker wire to the locations from where you want the amp .

get one these you can add extra speakers (more than 5) as you want(need) :D
    I don't know what the speakers on my tv are like , as I use the amp and speakers all the time .

Advertisement