Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provission for future EV

• 08-06-2017 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently having a house wired. While I don't have an electric car now I would like to allow for it in the future. I haven't asked for this when getting the ESB connection organised. Should I get it done from their side now or wait until later? Is it just a case of them changing out a fuse or do I need a higher rated cable from the ESB pole to my meter. Do I need a higher rated cable from ESB meter to fuse board?
    I was thinking a run of 10sq cable from fuse board to an external junction box would be appropriate for now, can people advise me on this? This means when I do need the connection I do not need to go to the hassle of routing a cable from outside back to the fuse board.
    Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Get wired up for a 32A external socket. 10sq is perfectly fine, but 6sq will do for runs of less than 20M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The run to outside would be less than 20M but to where the car would be parked would be just about on the 20M mark.
    I've put PV panels in as well which may be a good way to charge the car in future. There may be a feed in tariff in years to come but still better to use the power myself rather than what they would offer.
    Also not running anything else at 32A other than the cooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Effects wrote: »
    I was thinking a run of 10sq cable from fuse board to an external junction box would be appropriate for now, can people advise me on this?

The above is all you need.

Maybe terminate it as an outdoor socket so you can actually use it in the meantime.

You say you wont have anything else at 32A... no electric shower or heat pumps? What is heating the house/water?

No electric shower. Heating and hot water is by combi boiler and stove for open plan living area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Run the cable to the side entrance or roughly where you will put a charger.
    Have the RCBO in the fuse board all done etc so that when you get a charger it's simply disconnect from outdoor socket and connect to charger.

It's relatively simple and I'm asking builders on new developments to think about incorporating it.

• Advertisement

I'm putting in a shed foundation so I think I'll run it out to there. Then build the shed when I can afford!
    I'll probably just run cable myself back to board but not connect it at the moment. Not sure the electrician would like that!

Advertisement