Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for a 1.8 car

• 08-06-2017 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys just looking for help. Im a 20 yr old female. My dad recently bought a 2004 Mercedes CLK 200 1.8. I'm just wondering if anyone knows any insurance company that will give a quote for me under dads name? (Before you comment why we got a mercedes its because it was very cheap in excellent condition). For unnecessary comments thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only way to know is to call all the companies, to make sure that you get the best quote. Don't forget to compare the full package not just the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mi3tova

Del2005 wrote: »
    Only way to know is to call all the companies, to make sure that you get the best quote. Don't forget to compare the full package not just the price.

But any idea who would quote? I called a few hence I'm looking for help here :/
    Like i only have my full licence since March and i think the experience is my problem here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The big name companies are always the most expensive, try a few local brokers and see if they will do it cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mi3tova wrote: »
    But any idea who would quote? I called a few hence I'm looking for help here :/
    Like i only have my full licence since March and i think the experience is my problem here

Unfortunately there is no quick way, you or your Dad more correctly needs to call all the companies and brokers you can find. A company that gives me a reasonable quote could refuse to quote you.

Yeah licence from March is a big issue for this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Is your father the registered owner of the car?
    Who will be the main driver of the car?
    Also the age of the car may be an issue.

• Advertisement

Is your father the registered owner of the car?
    Who will be the main driver of the car?
    Also the age of the car may be an issue.

Hi, yes dad is the registered owner of the car. He's the main driver. I'll be using the car just at the weekends. The car is from 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Has he got quotes yet? And does he have another car?

Has he got quotes yet? And does he have another car?

Yeah he has another car which he's sharing with my mother. He's looking for another quote but without using no claims bonus as the other policy thats running includes the no claims bonus. My mum got a new job so she needs the car to travel down and my dad works too so he needs a car too hence he wants to insure this car..
    But since he'll have another policy I asked him to add me on for experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It might be worth looking at your mother insuring the first car in her own name (no necessity for registration change) as a lot of insurers will give a discount for long term named drivers, and because she is going to be the main driver of the first car, then your father moves his NCB to the second car.

Mum is a learner for 8 years and I think she has a gap of 5 months of not driving :( do you think this will be an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mi3tova wrote: »
    Mum is a learner for 8 years and I think she has a gap of 5 months of not driving :( do you think this will be an issue?

The only onnes that will give you definitive answers are insurance companies or brokers.

Advertisement