Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on an "in-between" car?

Options
  • 08-06-2017 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

The OH is looking to sell her car, I'm suggesting the following to her:
    - sell her car first, so she knows how much she has for the new purchase
    - drive a car that's in my name (it's not being used, is nct'd but not insured) and that way, she's not rushing into buying a car
    - when she sees a car that she likes, purchase it

For insurance reasons, what would be the easiest thing to do with it? It's not currently insured and I'm wondering if I have to transfer ownership to her for her to get insurance on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Married or not? If not transfer ownership, if you are then there's already insurable interest so no need to transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

If you have driving other cars extension,is your policy still in operation after you have sold your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

We are married, what do you mean by insurable interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

vandriver wrote: »
    If you have driving other cars extension,is your policy still in operation after you have sold your car?

Depends on your policy. In some cases, yes but the 'driving other cars' cover often excludes cars owned by you or your spouse, precisely to avoid this situation.

Example: Axa exclusion.....

• the car does not belong to you or your husband, wife or partner;

Aviva says you must still own the principal car...
    • you still own and insure your car under this policy and your car has not been damaged beyond economic repair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

coylemj wrote: »
    Probably yes but the 'driving other cars' cover usually excludes cars owned by you or your spouse, precisely to avoid this situation.

Example: Axa exclusion.....

• the car does not belong to you or your husband, wife or partner;
    It was worth a try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

vandriver wrote: »
    It was worth a try!

Zurich doesn't exclude 'driving other cars' cover for a car owned by your spouse and they don't say that the original car must still be owned by you.

The answer as with most questions about motor insurance is simple: read your policy document.

Advertisement