Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to buy new bike gear

• 08-06-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Hi all,

Think its time to get new textile bike gear, anyone know of any places doing deals on decent bike gear at the moment?

Cheers,
    G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭flatty

I just bought a rukka armaxion at fc moto for a decent price.
    Well decent price compared to rrp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Bought gear last year from http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/

Found prices to be good. Delivery is quick too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

platinum motorcycles doing a full suit of alpine stars for 420€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If it was me I would ride it out till the NEC bike show in November and go over and get some proper bargains. There is a huge range and if you are any good at haggling (like me) you will save a fortune.

It will cost you €20 return for the flights (book them around now) and the show is literally 5 mins from the airport without even going outside and its free in upon showing your Irish passport.

Result.

I have done this every year for the past 4 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hodge32

Like he said! The NEC is proper value..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can anyone recommend textiles that are waterproof? I got wet this morning from a bit of rain, lovely bit wet patches on my sleeves, chest and crotch. I have RST stuff its great but anything more than a quick shower and I'm getting wet

Why buy a whole new set of textiles? Just get a set of rain gear, you can get really neat packs that come in pouch or fit in a tank bag. Or do what I did and get the waterproof spray in lidl or aldi and spray the textiles.
    It says half a can per garment but at 3 quid a can I used a full can on the top and another on the bottoms and happy out...bone dry in Tarantula rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Zascar wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend textiles that are waterproof? I got wet this morning from a bit of rain, lovely bit wet patches on my sleeves, chest and crotch. I have RST stuff its great but anything more than a quick shower and I'm getting wet

Pop into Cotters......Richa Rain Warrior 2 piece rain overalls,they slip on over your existing textile gear and fold down to more or less nothing.:)
    Or go for a Richa 1 piece rain suit,but its a bit of a bugger to get on in a hurry.:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah good ideas. I was thinking of getting a rainsuit but the only thing I heard is that you sweat your bollix of and end up set fromt he inside! Is that true?

Waterproof spray is definitely a good idea - which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hurry up and buy it, that way we're guaranteed unbroken sunshine until at least October. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah good ideas. I was thinking of getting a rainsuit but the only thing I heard is that you sweat your bollix of and end up set fromt he inside! Is that true?

Waterproof spray is definitely a good idea - which one?

Waterproof spray will help but will not be at the same level as a rain suit. You would have to use the spray a few times and its not guaranteed to help in the long run.

With the sweat, id rather be a bit sweaty than wet as you described.

If you buy the cheap rain gear it will sweat the sack of you as it has no mesh liner inside. If you get a half decent one it will have the mesh inner and thats what stops you sweating. Also get at least a size TOO BIG for you to go over the textiles that are bulky and make sure it has a decent elastic wrist that will fit over you bulky gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    .bone dry in Tarantula rain!

Yeah, nah, **** that :D

man_file_1117269_spiders1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

flatty wrote: »

I'd avoid fc-moto (fc moto).

I have placed an order for an item and within an hour saw different color. Sent email to change, waited 5 days for response. Finally got reply to say no worries but the item in that color is not available followed by immediate cancellation of that item from the order.

Great you'd think, just place another order for right item. I wish. Status on their website is still the same, money still taken. Sent 2 emails to follow up - no reply.

Looks like some warehouse where everyone is operating like a drone. Ask for anything other than click and buy and you are in for a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Never had a problem with them myself and have bought a number of items from them.

listermint wrote: »
    Never had a problem with them myself and have bought a number of items from them.

Have you tried contacting them at any stage? It seems the usual for busy super competitive businesses - all works except customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Have you tried contacting them at any stage? It seems the usual for busy super competitive businesses - all works except customer service.

Yep had to Contact them once for a query took two days to get back but that was the extent of it

Yep had to Contact them once for a query took two days to get back but that was the extent of it

Maybe busy period or something. I sent them few emails to follow up - nothing. Another weekend without gear... :mad:

Sure one of the new members off here bought a scooter off them for 4K and it was falling apart after about a week, terrible trouble altogether they had. Ended up with a solicitors letter and money back after big dragged out event.

Sure one of the new members off here bought a scooter off them for 4K and it was falling apart after about a week, terrible trouble altogether they had. Ended up with a solicitors letter and money back after big dragged out event.

He bought a 4k scooter off a German online shop for use in Ireland?

FX Moto are top notch, think my alpinestars gear worked out 500 euro cheaper than had I bought it in Ireland and probably 300 euro cheaper than the UK. Their customers service isn't the best but when you save that much money I don't really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

How long does it usually take to get your items delivered?
    I placed an order on Monday, 3rd July but haven't heard anything since (despite the helmet being in stock).
    My credit card has been debited and the status on their website is invoiced.

Do they normally send a tracking number for DHL?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Just got an email from sportsbikeshop, they have a special on RST and Rukka.

He bought a 4k scooter off a German online shop for use in Ireland?

FX Moto are top notch, think my alpinestars gear worked out 500 euro cheaper than had I bought it in Ireland and probably 300 euro cheaper than the UK. Their customers service isn't the best but when you save that much money I don't really care.

LMFAO,

Sorry man, I was on the HOLY WATER last night. Seen moto and went on a mad one.

Its was that place in Rathfarnham "Moto 4 U" that they had terrible problems with. See how easy it is to slander people on the net!!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

LMFAO,

Sorry man, I was on the HOLY WATER last night. Seen moto and went on a mad one.

Its was that place in Rathfarnham "Moto 4 U" that they had terrible problems with. See how easy it is to slander people on the net!!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

Moto 4U is a rip off that's a fact. I went there with all my bits and bobs purchased for regular service. Got quote for around €150 for just work.

Went to local mechanic who allowed me to drain my oil into his disposal yoke, changed plugs, air, oil filters, done oil flush and change and off I went.

p.s. most garages in my opinion are out there in the clouds with their pricing and the worst is people are paying it

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Recently bought Alpine Stars textile Jackets and Trousers (Dry Star), pair of Alpine Star boots, all on clearance on motorcycleshop.ie.

Size guide is spot on, I also added few other bits and bobs on the order, all arrived in a week. You'll get regular updates, a text when its on the road and an option to change where its dropped if youre not at the original delivery so no worrying about being in etc. I'll definitely use them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Btw got my new lid from fc moto today. One week is not bad☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭flatty

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    flatty wrote: »

I'd avoid fc-moto (fc moto).

I have placed an order for an item and within an hour saw different color. Sent email to change, waited 5 days for response. Finally got reply to say no worries but the item in that color is not available followed by immediate cancellation of that item from the order.

Great you'd think, just place another order for right item. I wish. Status on their website is still the same, money still taken. Sent 2 emails to follow up - no reply.

Looks like some warehouse where everyone is operating like a drone. Ask for anything other than click and buy and you are in for a ride.
    I had no problems with them.

Latest update on my order is not giving me any information or confidence. No tracking information either, emails quiet as well. Funds obviously already taken.

Status Date
    Order was received 05/07/2017 (23:39)
    Rejected 12/07/2017 (07:00)
    In process 05/07/2017 (23:40)
    Dispatched 12/07/2017 (07:00)
    Delivered 12/07/2017 (07:00)
    Invoiced 12/07/2017 (07:00)
    Paid 05/07/2017 (23:39)
    Closed 12/07/2017 (07:00)

Funds being taken the minute an order is placed regardless of stock is all to common practice nowadays even if the website says item is in stock, most people wont bother getting a refund and re-ordering somewhere else they will just wait it out.

I really hate it when online stores do it and tend to never order off that company again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement