Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions after Irish Water instilations.

Options
  • 08-06-2017 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭

How are I.W. allowed to get away with this?
    The roads and streets of the town of Dundalk are a mess. Holes and over-filled strips everywhere.
    It's a total disgrace that the Council are not pulling them up on this.
    It looks like the surface of the moon.

Comments

How are I.W. allowed to get away with this?
    The roads and streets of the town of Dundalk are a mess. Holes and over-filled strips everywhere.
    It's a total disgrace that the Council are not pulling them up on this.
    It looks like the surface of the moon.
    Council are part of the problem. Every time they re-do a road they have people digging it up (MacSwiney St., Toberona) within a while, and not just Irish Water. The Demesne is another great example, re-did the footpath, took bloody weeks. There was an application for a gas vent to be put in there, it was denied, it's back up, it'll be approved and the spanking new footpath will get messed up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It's not just Irish Water - it's also Virgin fibre going in - the same stretches of footpaths around Barrack Street have been opened and badly reinstated twice in the past 6 months - just shows there's no co-ordination between service installations and no monitoring of reinstatement either (in both cases IMO the Council's responsibility)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Virgin Fibre seem to have torn up half of Drogheda at this stage too, and the same issue of the roads look like **** when they finish :(

It's not just Irish Water - it's also Virgin fibre going in - the same stretches of footpaths around Barrack Street have been opened and badly reinstated twice in the past 6 months - just shows there's no co-ordination between service installations and no monitoring of reinstatement either (in both cases IMO the Council's responsibility)

Completely down to the council. It's really simple, there should be a window for doing work (before the council resurface anything) and fines for doing work outside those times. And fines for leaving it in ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I think they can be fined for leaving it a mess

Same problem all over the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Completely down to the council. It's really simple, there should be a window for doing work (before the council resurface anything) and fines for doing work outside those times. And fines for leaving it in ****e.

If there were fines then the Council would be owed a lot of money.
    It's an unacceptable state of affairs and I wonder why I pay Road Tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I wonder why I pay Road Tax.

You don't

You don't

Yes I see it's been used now to fund the very people that's causing most of the problems instead of it's original purpose to fix the roads. Greta stuff :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/motor-tax-cash-used-to-fund-irish-water-30968852.html

It's a carbon emissions tax - hence the reason I pay zero to cycle on the roads (although those in cars think they have the right to run all other road users off it :rolleyes:)

It's a carbon emissions tax - hence the reason I pay zero to cycle on the roads (although those in cars think they have the right to run all other road users off it :rolleyes:)
    Yet I could have a car sitting in my garden emitting carbon 23 hours a day and not have to pay it. Funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

i've had to replace 2 wheels on my bike over buckling along church st/ bridge st! :( but to be honest the roads in the county are as bad especially the secondary roads... the Armagh rd has been getting worse lately

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nationwide problem that utilities are given licence to perform civils but the CoCos never inspect after completion.

Very easy to fix:
    1. X applies for licence to break ground
    2. Gets it
    3. Completes works
    4. Inspection, in bits
    5. X applies for another
    6. Rejected until previous works are repaired and reinspected.

Takes ten minutes for a CoCo employee to go out and take a picture and submit it to the relevant person.

Yet I could have a car sitting in my garden emitting carbon 23 hours a day and not have to pay it. Funny that.

You'd be paying for a lot of fuel just so that you could make a silly point :pac:

ED E wrote: »
    Nationwide problem that utilities are given licence to perform civils but the CoCos never inspect after completion.

Very easy to fix:
    1. X applies for licence to break ground
    2. Gets it
    3. Completes works
    4. Inspection, in bits
    5. X applies for another
    6. Rejected until previous works are repaired and reinspected.

Takes ten minutes for a CoCo employee to go out and take a picture and submit it to the relevant person.

Or as they do in places like Chicago - after step 1 the Council invites all other registered utilities to review the application in order to determine if they are planning work in the same area and to co-ordinate with X to only open and reinstate the road/footpath once - not rocket science really

You'd be paying for a lot of fuel just so that you could make a silly point :pac:

Better than being a pedant on the internet. :pac:

Better than being a pedant on the internet. :pac:

After reading some of your contributions I'd say it takes one to assume someone else is

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sections of Clanbrassil St have now been restored to good conditon. As everyone knows it is a two stage process, six months apart.

http://talkofthetown.ie/irish-water-vow-to-permanently-restore-local-roads-to-the-highest-standard/

I cycle a lot of roads although not much in Dundalk town. There are good and bad stretches in different areas. But the worst are in the North especially from Culloville to Ballymacarry Bridge and between Newry and Camlough and and the stretch outside Newtownhamilton heading for Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

A lot of cutting and patching going on here in Drogheda between IW, SIRO and Virgin Media. How often would council resurface roads in estates, anyone know? Or are these cuts and patches for life?

They're digging up outside the GPO again.
    Why can't all the underground work be done at the same time?

They're digging up outside the GPO again.
    Why can't all the underground work be done at the same time?
    Be so simple wouldn't it?

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    A lot of cutting and patching going on here in Drogheda between IW, SIRO and Virgin Media. How often would council resurface roads in estates, anyone know? Or are these cuts and patches for life?

It's the footpaths I have issue with. They look dire after Virgin Media have been at them in Rathmullen, Ballsgrove, Finians Park and Marian Park.

The issue here mostly being that I've never seen a footpath being re-done for cosmetic reasons. Effectively meaning the footpaths are going to look siht for the rest of the their lives.

They absolutely should never have been allowed to only dig up a section of path. It should have been all or nothing, and all the paths freshly laid again when done. They look dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Have cutbacks at local government(LCC) become so deep that there is now nobody available(from the planning or engineers dept,not certain which if either tbh) to go out and supervise these path and road openings and make sure they are re-instated in a proper manner when the work is complete?? Not that you'd need to be educated to degree level anyway to do the job!! :D

Have cutbacks at local government(LCC) become so deep that there is now nobody available(from the planning or engineers dept,not certain which if either tbh) to go out and supervise these path and road openings and make sure they are re-instated in a proper manner when the work is complete?? Not that you'd need to be educated to degree level anyway to do the job!! :D
    They just don't seem to care and nobody seems to complain and if they do then it's obviously ignored.
    Shur it's only the taxpayer's money after all.

Advertisement