Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Annual Leave

Options
  • 08-06-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked (and answered) before.

The company i work in (I've been here 10 years) have mandatory annual leave at Christmas each year, so 3-4 days.
    This isn't an issue as i'd be taking them anyway, and the remaining days are mine to take whenever suits myself and the company (ie as long as there's cover, there's no problem).

We were told last month, that we all had to take CIF builders holidays, so the last week in July / 1st in August.
    We're neither part of the CIF or unionised.

I'm aware that it states on the citizens advice website, that annual leave is at the discretion of your employer.

As it has never been company policy, do I have any recourse?
    I've already mentioned to them that my partner can't get time off, as she's just started a new job. I'd be sitting at home for 2 weeks while she's in work which is infuriating tbh.

It's a bit of a red line issue for me, and it's unlikely i'd be working there this time next year if they insist on the mandatory leave.

Is it just a case of tough titty?

Comments

Tough titties. Ask nicely and take no for an answer. Those are your options.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Are they closing the place down for the two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

That's their plan.
    We all have keys though (it's office work), so could work through no problem.

It's worked great in the past, as we get loads done in the 2 weeks that (most of) the building sites are closed, as it's much quieter.

That's their plan.
    We all have keys though (it's office work), so could work through no problem.

It's worked great in the past, as we get loads done in the 2 weeks that (most of) the building sites are closed, as it's much quieter.

Yeah, that's a bit crappy then. Just negotiate it, tell the boss it's a problem.

Maybe the boss has another issue like everyone wants the same weeks off and there's no cover in the office? Maybe you could all compromise?

There has to be some reason after 10 years that he's decided to change things?

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a bit crappy then. Just negotiate it, tell the boss it's a problem.

Maybe the boss has another issue like everyone wants the same weeks off and there's no cover in the office? Maybe you could all compromise?

There has to be some reason after 10 years that he's decided to change things?

Nah we've always worked around each others holidays, to make sure there's always cover.

Not sure what the reasoning is tbh. It's counter-productive imo.
    it's fine for him as he gets to take these holidays and another 6 or so on top of that. It's good to be be boss eh.

• Advertisement

Nah we've always worked around each others holidays, to make sure there's always cover.

it's fine for him as he gets to take these holidays and another 6 or so on top of that. It's good to be be boss eh.

All you can do then is ask what the reasoning is behind it.

If your business supplies the construction industry it makes perfect sense to align company holidays with the industry norms.

I guess by boss you mean owner. Try running your own business and see if your sentiment remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Unfortunately a case of tough titty yeah.

JayZeus wrote: »
    I guess by boss you mean owner. Try running your own business and see if your sentiment remains the same.

Incorrect but thanks for jumping to conclusions.

Thanks to others for their input.

Mods, you can lock this. Query has been answered.

Advertisement