Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Half Marathon & 10k

Options
  • 08-06-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

So is anyone else doing the Achill Half Marathon on the 1st of July.

http://www.achillmarathon.com/

It looks to be a fairly challenging route - http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/westport-c/achill-half-marathon-route-172723346
    If you really want the gory details: Climb: 121m. Elevations: 78m at 3.4m/5.5km, 30m at 8.4 miles/13.5k, 42m at 10 miles/16k, 18m at 12.4 miles/20k.

Has anyone done this previously and if so what are your thoughts. Going to be making a weekend of it. The fact that it starts and finishes at the beach will hopefully keep the wee ones entertained for 2 hours or so!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Doing the 10k myself this year ( having done the half before).

The half is a tough aul route but its a fantastic place to run - expect plenty of long climbs but then a few fast sections too as the route drops back down to the start\finish area.
    There's a great atmosphere on the day - weather can be a bit hit and miss but sure its all part of the experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

HigginsJ wrote: »
    So is anyone else doing the Achill Half Marathon on the 1st of July.

http://www.achillmarathon.com/

It looks to be a fairly challenging route - http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/westport-c/achill-half-marathon-route-172723346

Has anyone done this previously and if so what are your thoughts. Going to be making a weekend of it. The fact that it starts and finishes at the beach will hopefully keep the wee ones entertained for 2 hours or so!!

Tough course , but a good challenge and one you will remember. Did it back in the day when i could get around a half, four seasons in one race day, great road trip up from Galway , loads seemed to stay up for the weekend , still remember trying to chase down a certain female Olympian and failing miserably!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Great to hear, what sort of activities are on around the start/finish area? Is it far from Keel beach? The idea is my wife is going to take our 2 wee ones to the beach for a couple of hours. Is there food stalls etc. around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great to hear, what sort of activities are on around the start/finish area? Is it far from Keel beach? The idea is my wife is going to take our 2 wee ones to the beach for a couple of hours. Is there food stalls etc. around?

Its a hundred metres or so from the beach - pretty sure there is a BBQ on during\after the race ...definitely an ice cream van....and possibly a small funfair ( going on previous years there is anyway).
    Actually, if you pop the organisers a message they'll fill you in, I think Achill Tourism get behind the event big time so they should know what else is on during \after the race

Will do and will stick up anything I get back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Another island based race? Don't tempt me. :o

Enjoy it, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

As others have said, tough course but beautiful. Start/finish is practically on the beach. Ice cream can, crepe van, chicken van etc & shop & cafe nearby so they won't go hungry :) Depending on the age of the kids there is a good playground, you can hire surfboards & wetsuits on the beach. Kayaks for rent in Keel lake across the road or the beach may be enough. Plenty to keep them entertained. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Ran this race last weekend. Nice drive down in the sunshine on Friday but was greeted by mist, rain, wind and cold on Saturday morning. Our B&B was close to the start, so didn't have to long to hang around at the start but I was still frozen, everyone was a bit subdued.

However once we got going the conditions were ideal. It was a lovely day for a run. The course is tough. Your are working from the very beginning, the first four miles are uphill but the wind and rain was side on so it could have been much worse. Next few miles (5 - 7) were flat with a downhill. My plan was a relaxed first 7 miles and then push on for the remainder.

As we came round the corner at mile 7, the wind was in our face but I stuck with my plan and pushed on. I really enjoyed this section, there were 3 big hills with the toughest been at mile 10. Then we had a steep downhill, merging with the 10k where it became a bit congested but nothing to major. There was a slight drag around mile 12, which I didn't expect, and then on to the finish. There was plenty of runners in the sea, myself included, afterwards for an ice bath and it was freezing

This is not a PB course by any stretch but is definitely a race I would recommend. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, great craic in Keel that night and in the afterparty later on. Stayed down on Sunday to do some sightseeing, which was well worth it.

It was a really well run & enjoyable event. As Caprica said Friday evening was lovely, the guys had great fun at the beach after we picked up the race pack Friday. There is so much to do & see on the island so we will def be coming back next year, although will try get somewhere on the island as Mulranny is about 30 minute drive from Keel.

Advertisement