Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike

Options
  • 08-06-2017 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on new bike as kids now at the age they want to go on longer rides.
    I haven't owned bike in years, what I am looking for is something for family cycling and something I could use for maybe a 40-50 k spin at weekend.
    I currently do spinning 4 days a week in gym but looking to get out and do a bit.
    I have looked at hybrid but I like drop down handlebars...not sure a fully fledged road bike would do the job.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

If you like drop handle bars go for them as they are the best for giving you a range of hand positions and future proofs you a bit from upgrade-itus.
    If you can get the bike to work scheme then go for an aluminium racer with a carbon fork and shimano groupset. At this price it will prob be Sora or Tiagra.

Try a few bike shops, they are great for your first bike as you can get a feel for the size and shape and discuss options with the staff. I would prob go for a Giant defy or something similar. you can also check out Decathalon if you are ever near Belfast for great value on their Btwin range. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

it's worth thinking of a cyclocross bike too. they have drop handlebars but would be more rugged than a road bike, allowing you to go on 50k spins if you wish but also designed to allow you to go off road if that's where the kids want to go.

if you only expect to be on the roads then the road bike would be a better option but if allowing for more than that then the cx won't see you wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks for the suggestions,
    I only came across the cyclocross today never heard of them before now,and it does seem to tick all the boxes..we have woods near us with fairly good trails nothing to extreme easy enough for kids to use and probably not suitable for a full road bike..

yeah the geometry is slightly different than a road bike to allow for greater ground clearance as well as greater clearance between the wheels and forks. a lot of cx bikes will also have mounts on the frame for mudguards and racks.

i had one for a few years and used it for everything from commuting to spins up the dublin mountains to racing in gaelforce west! very versatile bikes :)

let us know here if you want opinions on any specific bikes or if you are working to a certain budget and want advice.

if you can avail of the bike to work scheme that'll help significantly with your budget ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

yeah the geometry is slightly different than a road bike to allow for greater ground clearance as well as greater clearance between the wheels and forks. a lot of cx bikes will also have mounts on the frame for mudguards and racks.

i had one for a few years and used it for everything from commuting to spins up the dublin mountains to racing in gaelforce west! very versatile bikes :)

let us know here if you want opinions on any specific bikes or if you are working to a certain budget and want advice.

if you can avail of the bike to work scheme that'll help significantly with your budget ;)
    As I mentioned I haven't had a bike in years, used to cycle to work when I lived in Dublin..was just checking prices and I nearly fell off the chair..was hoping not spend any more 600 :rolleyes:
    The cx bikes seem rare enough..which is just my luck now that I have my head set on one.

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    As I mentioned I haven't had a bike in years, used to cycle to work when I lived in Dublin..was just checking prices and I nearly fell off the chair..was hoping not spend any more 600 :rolleyes:
    The cx bikes seem rare enough..which is just my luck now that I have my head set on one.

can you avail of the bike to work? that way you can basically buy a €1k bike for €500 if on the higher tax band.

here are some examples online in irish stores. if you have bike to work most of these would net out around €600. you won't get a new one (that i'm aware of) for your budget without the b2w so if you don't have access to that it might be worth keeping an eye on adverts or donedeal. i sold mine on adverts a few months ago and it seemed like a buyer's market to me :(

stevens tabor €999

cube cross race €1,099

kona jake €1,199

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

If your budget is less:

TRIBAN 520 - £479 - review

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

harr wrote: »
    I only came across the cyclocross today never heard of them before now
    'gravel bikes' have cropped up recently too; often more relaxed geometry than a cyclocross bike, but decent tyre widths and drop handlebars.

Advertisement