Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitten by dog while on work duties

Options
  • 08-06-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

A job I left recently had me doing outdoor duties which involved calling to people's properties.

One day, I was nipped on the leg by a dog outside one of the properties. I conducted my business at the property, and was on my way. When I got back to the office, I noticed that the dog had partially broken the skin and my colleagues advised me to get a tetanus shot immediately, which I duly did.

Anyway, I reported the incident to our Health and Safety person, did an incident report, and was told that they would refund me the €20 that I had to pay to get the tetanus shot.

This was over a year ago and despite numerous emails (about 9) from both myself and my manager from the job, they have not reimbursed me. I am seriously frustrated. Its only €20, but its the principle of the situation now, as much as the money.

I last heard from them on 25 March, when they told me they'd be in contact in a few days.

Where do I go from here? I'd almost go to a solicitor (although I might be laughed at if I did!) just to shake them up a bit, but for such a small sum, it wouldn't be worth it.

What would you do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Get a solicitor go €20? You have to be joking.

But since you went to the effort or writing an essay a fair response is due.

I'd say just leave it. They are probably deleting every email your are chasing them with and you seem to be causing yourself too much stress over such a small amount.

Forget it and move on. I'm curious to see other suggestions mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

€20, this has to be a joke. A solicitor for €20. You've little to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I understand you're still going after this over the principle of it. Think of the time/effort/frustration you're putting yourself under. Drop it, forget it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭CPTM

I had a similar gripe with my last employer. It wasn't the money, more the principle of it all.

Edit: Sorry hit submit by accident..

In the end I realised it was just part of a long list of things I didn't like, so I left after they all added up.

Here's an idea - Leave early someday to the tune of 20 euro. It's a small protest, probably not much impact, but you've made your point and you get your claim in time instead of currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

CPTM wrote: »
    I had a similar gripe with my last employer. It wasn't the money, more the principle of it all.

Edit: Sorry hit submit by accident..

In the end I realised it was just part of a long list of things I didn't like, so I left after they all added up.

Here's an idea - Leave early someday to the tune of 20 euro. It's a small protest, probably not much impact, but you've made your point and you get your claim in time instead of currency.

Think he has left the job!

Small claims court maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

TallGlass wrote: »

Oh jesus...He's already gone..I didn't cop that.

Seriously OP..Move on from the €20!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

FFS not another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

That'll cost €25

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

The SCC will cost €25 to open a claim.

OP is out of pocket for €20. That makes no sense.

Swallow your pride and move on OP, there's more important things to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OK, I think one or two of ye have taken me up wrong. I'm not actually going to get a solicitor, I said that in jest.

It isn't that I "have little to worry about". Its the principle of the thing. I'm not losing sleep over it. I got bitten by a dog while performing my work duties and the employer hasn't even had the good grace to pay me the money I had to give over. I was sore as a boil for a few days after aswell (ever get a tetanus shot?) Believe me, I wouldn't have been next, nigh or near the area I was in only for my job.

In response to the "FFS not another one!", I'm not on the make here. I literally want my €20 back. This all seems quite silly in isolation, but I have been treated with almost contempt by the employer and it isn't good enough in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

How much time have you spent emailing and mulling this over?

For the sake of the price of three pints I'd let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Small claims change court maybe?

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

OP,

They are probably afraid that if they paid you €20 they'd be admitting some liability. I'd be fairly sure that's the reason.

Anyway, the company doesn't owe you anything unless they owned the dog that bit you. So, the advice from your fellow employees was to get a tetanus. I presume you would have done this regardless.

It looks like the H&S lady acted out of turn saying you'd get it back, she probably genuinely thought you'd get it back. Company management said no for legal reasons.

You could go back to the house where you got bit and ask for the €20. Be careful of the dog at that house though. He bites. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If you have left youare unlikely to get the €20 especially as they probably got you to sign a document on leaving that closes off any claims you may have has.

However I would just ask them what procedures they have put in place to prevent a recurrence and maybe notify the HSA, the paperwork and time involved will hopefully cost them more than the €20.

However I would just ask them what procedures they have put in place to prevent a recurrence and maybe notify the HSA, the paperwork and time involved will hopefully cost them more than the €20.

How is the company negligent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I assume you submitted the receipt for payment of the shot. If not they will not pay out until they get it. Otherwise give the accounts department a shout and see what the story is.

OP,

They are probably afraid that if they paid you €20 they'd be admitting some liability. I'd be fairly sure that's the reason.

Anyway, the company doesn't owe you anything unless they owned the dog that bit you. So, the advice from your fellow employees was to get a tetanus. I presume you would have done this regardless.

It looks like the H&S lady acted out of turn saying you'd get it back, she probably genuinely thought you'd get it back. Company management said no for legal reasons.

You could go back to the house where you got bit and ask for the €20. Be careful of the dog at that house though. He bites. ;)

Both the company and the dog owner have liability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

You've now developed a fear of dogs and have a permanent scar. 20k easily.

Both the company and the dog owner have liability.

Why does the company have liability. They provided employment that entailed the OP to go to houses. Were they supposed to provide training as to what to do when approaching people at houses. Would it not be reasonable to assume this is a skill a person should be proficient at.

But, it just goes to show why the company didn't pay the €20. They would have opened the door to liability. The home owner lost control of their dog and are possibly liable.

How is the company negligent?

If an employee is injured at work then unless the company had fully risk assessed and controlled any hazards (as far as reasonably practicable) then they are negligent.

Was the employee issued any PPE? was the employee adequately trained?

If the answer to those and other questions is no then the company is usually considered negligent.

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »
    You've now developed a fear of dogs and have a permanent scar. 20k easily.

:pac: And strangers, and doors the colour of the house he visited.

Was the employee issued any PPE? was the employee adequately trained?

What PPE's would be required going door to door :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

A dog repeller for starters.

Here's one in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiY5vThzMVY

Also, you may be entitled to Medical Care from the Department of Social Welfare. Employer will be obliged to fill in a report for them acknowledging accident

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/medical_care_scheme.html

A good pair of steel toe cap boots to kick the dog :D

In reality probably no PPE would be suitable, however the OP should have received training in how to deal with dogs etc.

Also there should have been a procedure for obtaining medical attention following the dog bite...not just colleagues suggesting a tetanus shot.

In hindsight the OP should have reported to their Safety Person immediately following the injury who should then have sent them immediately for medical attention.

Murt10 wrote: »
    A dog repeller for starters.

Here's one in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiY5vThzMVY

:) I must be half dog, that thing was setting off something in my ears!

If you gave those to employees you'd have a deafness case to defend :)

In fairness, I was waiting on someone to say shin guards.

In reality probably no PPE would be suitable, however the OP should have received training in how to deal with dogs etc.

WALKIEEES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

E20 for a tetnus? my last one cost me E60 including doctor visit.

selous wrote: »
    E20 for a tetnus? my last one cost me E60 including doctor visit.

GP only card?

Were they supposed to provide training as to what to do when approaching people at houses. Would it not be reasonable to assume this is a skill a person should be proficient at.

On what basis should that assumption be made?

Employers cannot "assume" a person has skills without some form of proof, lack of that proof will cause some problems in any case.

The main reason most of us are given "manual handling" courses is that it puts the onus back on us not to lift incorrectly etc., the companies that provide the most "safety" course tend to be the ones with bigger HR/legal departments who know the courses can limit exposure to claims.

No course=No proof of training=No proof the person knew how to perform the task safely.

• Advertisement

On what basis should that assumption be made?

On the basis that employees don't have to be trained not to incorrectly use the toilet bowl for fear they end up drowning.

Maybe there is case law on such. I would think the liability is with the householder.

Advertisement