Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a 13 year-old drink alcohol?

Options
  • 08-06-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I heard this on the radio a few days ago and saw a thread about it here, and I realised that I was in the exact same situation.

Myself and my husband have a son who is 13, and he genuinely wants to 'try' a pint of Guinness. I called into a radio show about this last month, I can give you the URL for proof that I'm not out for a wind-up. I have also heard that if you start drinking early, it reduces your risk of alcoholism. Is that true?

I believe, as Guinness has a low alcohol volume, if, for example, he was going out with his father or grandfather, he could have some of their pint if they bought it themselves? Please explain why Guinness would do any harm. It's hardly vodka or whiskey.

Am I being a responsible parent? Please share some useful advice.

Than you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A 13 year old CAN drink alcohol. In fact, most kids in France have wine with their main meal I believe (obviously not every day). The problem is it is illegal to supply alcohol to minors under the age of 18 in this country. So, if your son was out with his father or grandfather and was caught drinking, they could be in a lot of trouble.

I wouldn't let my 13 year old drink. I'd maybe let a 15/16 year old have the odd one at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

MODS; please move thread to After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't know about starting early reduces alcohol problems, it would be a bit more complicated than that. My philosophy would be don't give alcohol any bragging status or make it exciting because "its illegal" or you've banned your kids from drinking. We have a 12 year old son and he has had tiny amounts of beer/wine at the main meals of the year xmas, easter. We have also let him have non alcohol beers from time to time as they sell something like it on the continent that kids are able to drink and he liked them.
    If he is going to a bar with dad/relations the non alcoholic beer is probably the best bet , I'd assume that is allowed

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In some sense giving a 13 year olds a try of stout is likely to put him off beer for years...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Is this you by any chance? - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103720682&postcount=32
    Or this: http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumThread/141508806/ForumPost/4248532/ForumView/0/Default.aspx#4248532#4248532

And the deleted thread from 4 days ago as well. No more threads of this type will be approved.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement