Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Grand Canal Dock from airport

Options
  • 08-06-2017 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Apologies, i don't know Dublin very well, so looking for some suggestions.

I have an appt at the Australian Embassy (fitzwilton House, Cumberland Rd Grand Canal Dock) next week. I will be out near the airport on the same day in the morning. I will have free parking there and could catch a shuttle bus to the airport to get public transport into the city.

Am I better doing that or to drive into the city. Where would be the best place to get parking? My appt is for midday and i will need to go back out to the airport afterwards. I'll only be at the embassy for half an hour or so (need to get my passport renewed).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bus.

The 747 will drop you off at the Beckett Bridge and from there it's maybe a 15-20 minute stroll to the embassy. Bus will likely take 15-20 mins and no need to worry about parking or traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

mel.b wrote: »
    Apologies, i don't know Dublin very well, so looking for some suggestions.

I have an appt at the Australian Embassy (fitzwilton House, Cumberland Rd Grand Canal Dock) next week. I will be out near the airport on the same day in the morning. I will have free parking there and could catch a shuttle bus to the airport to get public transport into the city.

Am I better doing that or to drive into the city. Where would be the best place to get parking? My appt is for midday and i will need to go back out to the airport afterwards. I'll only be at the embassy for half an hour or so (need to get my passport renewed).

Fitzwilton house isn't at grand canal dock :) you could get the Airlink 757 (not 747) and walk the final 10 minutes each way but it's €10 return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

breathn wrote: »
    Fitzwilton house isn't at grand canal dock :) you could get the Airlink 757 (not 747) and walk the final 10 minutes each way but it's €10 return

Thanks. That's the address on google maps. Actually looking on the embassy website it just says says Fitzwilton house, wilton tce.

What stop would I get off at with the 757?

Here's where the last 757 stops are http://imgur.com/a/iPm8I
    And here's where your building is http://imgur.com/a/hgxrE
    So there's a little bit of walking involved
    I don't know about parking ☺

Brilliant, thanks :)

• Advertisement

No problem 😠get off at Stephens green. I was was wrong about the last stops... The route continues on a bit further than that.

You can buy a €10 return ticket at the airport stop and on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There are always lots of on street car parking spaces at Wilton Place. It would be cheaper, easier and more convenient to drive into town than to park at the airport or near there and get a bus then walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

I noticed that all the price stickers have been taken off the 747s and 757s, price has been increased to €12 return.

Aircoach is the same price I think and will drop you slightly closer on Leeson Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,413 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aircoach routes 700, 702, 703 and Dublin Bus 757 are the direct routes. You could take normal city buses, but the time would add up and you would be looking at fares of €5 (Leap Card) to €9 (cash).

Put your exact locations (airport and embassy) and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. Make sure you have selected "take neighbouring stops into account for origin and destination maximum 20 min walk".
    Marcusm wrote: »
    It would be cheaper, easier and more convenient to drive into town than to park at the airport or near there and get a bus then walk.
    Not necessarily if parking at airport is free. Not everyone wants to drive in the city.

Parking in Cumberland Road area is €2.90 per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Victor wrote: »
    Aircoach routes 700, 702, 703 and Dublin Bus 757 are the direct routes. You could take normal city buses, but the time would add up and you would be looking at fares of €5 (Leap Card) to €9 (cash).

Put your exact locations (airport and embassy) and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. Make sure you have selected "take neighbouring stops into account for origin and destination maximum 20 min walk".

Not necessarily if parking at airport is free. Not everyone wants to drive in the city.

Parking in Cumberland Road area is €2.90 per hour

It is indeed and the OP suggests that they will be there less than an hour - much cheaper to park than take the bus. As the OP had commented on driving in, I take it that they are not put off by the prospect. Given the highly unpredictable heavy rain showers recently, I'd be wary of the walk when a car is available.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, my plans have changed and I won't be out near the airport first now, so I'll be driving directly in. From reading above, Wilton Place and Cumberland Rd seem to have parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,413 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks everyone, my plans have changed and I won't be out near the airport first now, so I'll be driving directly in. From reading above, Wilton Place and Cumberland Rd seem to have parking?
    There is a fair bit of on-street parking. Availability would be reasonable, especially with summer, eh, here.

Thanks everyone, got into the city without any trouble and parked right near the embassy, again, no trouble finding a park at all :)

Advertisement