Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Waterford Get Senior Minister by Leo?

Options
  • 08-06-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭

Leo was talking about regional balance for his new cabinet....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

subpar wrote: »
    I dont think so.

Long shot alright, few commentators mentioned him in relation to justice dept, who knows, he's done admirable work on grace case,PAC, and has gone long way in recent years to building up his reputation.couple years back,I think it was the times that nominated him best td/backbencher think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Max Powers wrote: »
    Long shot alright, few commentators mentioned him in relation to justice dept, who knows, he's done admirable work on grace case,PAC, and has gone long way in recent years to building up his reputation.couple years back,I think it was the times that nominated him best td/backbencher think.

Who the eff are your rabbiting on about....'Deasey' I assume? Zero chance of him getting a snr minister....Coffey maybe if he had gotten re elected and after that there is on JP Phelan..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford is a political void

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Who the eff are your rabbiting on about....'Deasey' I assume? Zero chance of him getting a snr minister....Coffey maybe if he had gotten re elected and after that there is on JP Phelan..;)

Coffey backed the wrong horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

He talks about regional balance yet is unaware of an Ireland outside the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

longshanks wrote: »
    He talks about regional balance yet is unaware of an Ireland outside the M50.

It's like an independent country inside of the M50.
    It's where it's all happening. An Irish Mecca!
    Jobs, jobs and more jobs. Property prices booming!
    Restaurants and bars are packed on a daily basis.
    Shops and I mean those on the high end are busy, busy, busy!

Why would anyone want to look beyond the M50?

Road-Hog wrote: »

Jeez road hog, no need to be so aggressive, you're right about jp phelan, seems certain from political anoraks that he in for promotion.the same anoraks saying possibly deasy, only repeating what I heard/read on radio/paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I wouldn't rule him out for a junior ministry. He seriously got himself on Kenny's wrong side and had no chances until now. He would have been seen as having a bit of a rebel streak but that might change as he's older and maybe happier with new leadership. One difficulty will be regional rivals. John Paul seems to be up for promotion and Kehoe in Wexford is being tipped for promotion too. Might not be room for a third minister/junior minister in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

So did this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

So did this happen?

No. Nothing for Waterford and nothing for Deasy. A career politician who's as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

No. Nothing for Waterford and nothing for Deasy. A career politician who's as useful as a chocolate teapot.

It was never on the cards. I said it before and I’ll say it again Deasy is a complete outcast in FG. I really believe they want shot of him and have another FG Waterford TD. And quite frankly I can’t blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭goochy

His other half looks well in current vip magazine

To be fair, there were only two cabinet posts up for grabs. There had been speculation that there might be more but clearly Varadkar decided not to make wholesale changes. Those that were promoted were previously junior ministers and it would have been a fair shock if someone from the back benches was promoted straight to senior minister. In theory, Deasy could still be appointed junior minister next week but it looks unlikely now as Varadkar will probably keep most of the current junior ministers so less room for newcomers.

To be fair, there were only two cabinet posts up for grabs. There had been speculation that there might be more but clearly Varadkar decided not to make wholesale changes. Those that were promoted were previously junior ministers and it would have been a fair shock if someone from the back benches was promoted straight to senior minister. In theory, Deasy could still be appointed junior minister next week but it looks unlikely now as Varadkar will probably keep most of the current junior ministers so less room for newcomers.

I'd guess there will be more changes at junior level than yesterday, fingers crossed positive for Waterford/SE.everyone had jp phelan tipped do must be disappointed, to be fair, this doesn't seem like varakars cabinet, had to keep old faces for party unity I suspect, I'd guess we will see his real cabinet if only elected again after general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

yep, JP was highly tipped to get a good promotion, i believe he feels very hard done by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

we have the second worst unemployment blackspot in the country and we can't get a senior minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Irrespective of whether Waterford gets senior minister or not the City has consistently under achieved over he last 50 years. When you compare and contrast its lack of development with its neighbour Killkenny.

There appears to be a lack of ambition , civic pride , imagination and the sheer hard work required to properly develop the city and see it reach its true potential. Its not all the politicians fault .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

subpar wrote: »
    Irrespective of whether Waterford gets senior minister or not the City has consistently under achieved over he last 50 years. When you compare and contrast its lack of development with its neighbour Killkenny.

There appears to be a lack of ambition , civic pride , imagination and the sheer hard work required to properly develop the city and see it reach its true potential. Its not all the politicians fault .

I honestly don't get this myth that's constantly spun about Kilkenny being so far ahead of Waterford.

Kilkenny pedestrianised outside the castle and that's pretty much it. No major IDA developments apart from glanbia & banking 365. Granted they also built one of the countries worst performing shopping centres in McDonough junction and have a smithwicks factory that no longer produces much smithwicks.

I'd suggest people take a midweek trip to Kilkenny from September to may. It's a ghost town despite having one street.

It's rocking every Saturday night and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Gavlor wrote: »
    I honestly don't get this myth that's constantly spun about Kilkenny being so far ahead of Waterford.

Kilkenny pedestrianised outside the castle and that's pretty much it. No major IDA developments apart from glanbia & banking 365. Granted they also built one of the countries worst performing shopping centres in McDonough junction and have a smithwicks factory that no longer produces much smithwicks.

I'd suggest people take a midweek trip to Kilkenny from September to may. It's a ghost town despite having one street.

From the hundreds if not thousands of Waterford/Kilkenny threads someone has finally said it how it is in a simple non argumentative way. Fair play.

I said it before and ill say it again Kilkenny is a nice town to live in and visit, it is small and compact so it gives the impression its hopping all of the time but that is not the case. Overall it has less to do and see than Waterford.

When it comes to government representation Waterford like many counties do not have the luck or draw of any influentual politicans so its not like Waterford is on its own.

Dublin is an hour and a half away Cork is two Limerick also two so Waterford is never going to get the love, infastructure or money we all like to believe it deserves. WCC have done a fantastic job on the Greenway, Viking Triangle, Waterford Crystal etc and the potential of our coast and mountains is huge so lets promote those. People also forget how busy Tramore/Dunmore are over the summer so that is another thing we have we makes us a more attractive place to visit over somewhere with just a castle.

We put too much attention on our neighbours and i can never fathom why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

alta stare wrote: »
    From the hundreds if not thousands of Waterford/Kilkenny threads someone has finally said it how it is in a simple non argumentative way. Fair play.

I said it before and ill say it again Kilkenny is a nice town to live in and visit, it is small and compact so it gives the impression its hopping all of the time but that is not the case. Overall it has less to do and see than Waterford.

When it comes to government representation Waterford like many counties do not have the luck or draw of any influentual politicans so its not like Waterford is on its own.

Dublin is an hour and a half away Cork is two Limerick also two so Waterford is never going to get the love, infastructure or money we all like to believe it deserves. WCC have done a fantastic job on the Greenway, Viking Triangle, Waterford Crystal etc and the potential of our coast and mountains is huge so lets promote those. People also forget how busy Tramore/Dunmore are over the summer so that is another thing we have we makes us a more attractive place to visit over somewhere with just a castle.

And the weird obsession with kilkenny goes on and on...is there ever a thread without comparing? To fact you have to continually tell yourself this tripe just Says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

road_high wrote: »
    And the weird obsession with kilkenny goes on and on...is there ever a thread without comparing? To fact you have to continually tell yourself this tripe just Says it all really

Somebody else referenced Kilkenny, I simply pointed out that there is no comparison. Don't be so precious.

A bit silly road high, considering you're on here yourself regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Do you always find it hard to read something and also pay attention to what it actually says?

This Waterford/Kilkenny comparison does come up a lot for whatever reason.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/63zjq6/megaregions_of_ireland_based_on_commutes/

I think that the above is a useful way of comparing cities/towns in Ireland if that's what you want to do. Simple population of a town or city can sometimes be deceptive as it doesn't take into account hinterland. The attached shows the effective working population of the top ten towns/cities in Ireland. I'm sure that you can pick holed in this as a means of comparing towns/cities but in my view it's a useful shorthand for showing where they all stand in size/importance. It's based on CSO statistics.

As for the rest of what you say, you're perfectly correct that Waterford has a huge amount to offer. In many ways, it doesn't really matter which is bigger/better, Kilkenny or Waterford - they both have lots to recommend them. The most important thing is doing all that can be done to improve your own city/region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Gavlor wrote: »

I completely agree with you both. But the answer to the question is also in your posts. What has p’ed people of is that some sections in Kilkenny are trying to push Kilkenny as that main city in the southeast and the economic driver. Which for the reasons you highlighted is just a fantasy. Not making any excuses for Waterford’s shortcomings, the fact that tourism and retail is only being properly developed now in Waterford is ridiculous. But the politics of pushing Kilkenny as a city has done a lot of damage to the southeast. That is where the attention comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

John Deasy left out in the cold again with John Paul Phelan getting the nod for a Junior Ministry.

The fact that he was given Local Government and Electoral Reform I'd imagine will put to bed the issue of the Waterford boundary, unless he wants to find himself contesting in the Waterford constituency next time!

I think there is a full and junior in wexford...if fg to have hope in next election here in Waterford, they need to front up what is needed for north quays as a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

FG don't want Deasy to be elected again. Coffey was their primary candidate in the last election and couldn't get over the line. Any promotion for Deasy (assuming he even wanted it in the first place) would only hurt Coffey's chances of being elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

BBM77 wrote: »
    I completely agree with you both. But the answer to the question is also in your posts. What has p?ed people of is that some sections in Kilkenny are trying to push Kilkenny as that main city in the southeast and the economic driver. Which for the reasons you highlighted is just a fantasy. Not making any excuses for Waterford?s shortcomings, the fact that tourism and retail is only being properly developed now in Waterford is ridiculous. But the politics of pushing Kilkenny as a city has done a lot of damage to the southeast. That is where the attention comes from.

Jesus "what pushing of Kilkenny as the main city"?? Look at the reality. Anything in Kilkenny is put there and worked on pretty much by the local people. Sweet FA to do with central govt.... Who do even less for Kilkenny than for Waterford. It doesn't even have a college ffs.
    This is paranoia taken to new heights. Kilkenny has been growing on its own merits, regardless of central govt.
    Retail is a private business- again I don't see how Waterford could be behind in that regards...it has more diverse retailing- Kilkenny has a different focus i.e. small retailers in it's core. For example Waterford has 5 Tescos- Kilkenny has none. BTW I love a trip to Waterford the odd time for a change and some shops not in Kilkenny.

Advertisement