Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to work beyond scheduled hours

Options
  • 08-06-2017 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone. I work in retail environment and I have a common problem which everyone who works in similar area might have. Almost every working day my manager asks me to work longer than my scheduled hours for the day. In my contract I have an article about overtime, and it says that employer can change my start and finish working hours to meet their business needs. I do understand that and agree. But I don't know whether my working hours can be changed without any discussion with me and without any time notice. It's fine when I'm asked a day before or so, so I can adjust my own plans, but when it happens right now and I have my private commitments I don't think it's alright.

So the question is, when my working day is about to be over according to my schedule, can my employer force me to stay at work as long as they need ( and as a result to cancel all my commitments)? Is it legally? If it's not, so how would I describe this? bullying? or something else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Is it legal? Yes, it says so in the contract you agreed to but they must pay you or give you time off enlieu. And you must be allowed the statutory break period.

Is it bullying? No, is this an affront to your dignity at work?

Is it something else? Yes, bad management.

It's up to you whether you put up with it or not, maybe try and look for a job in a more organised and professionally run store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Northerngal

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

"Provision of information about working hours
    For many employees the hours of work are specified, for example, in their contract of employment or in an Employment Regulation Order or Registered Employment AGreement. If the hours of work are not specified, under Section 17 of the Act, the employer must notify the employee of the starting and finishing times at least 24 hours before the first day or the day of each week the employee is required to work. The employer can do this by putting up a notice in a conspicuous place in the employee's workplace on a day when the employee is working. If the employee is required to work additional hours the 24 hours' notice must be given in the same way. However, in unforeseen circumstances such as another employee off work sick, the employer can ask the employee to work at less than 24 hours' notice."

Your under no obligation to oblige your employer by law, but with retail work if dont, your hours will be cut, if you refuse to do a shift with less than 24 hours notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Is there a union? Does the union or your contract advise that hours must he posted a week in advance? If so then your doing them a favour. The part about yours hours being changed to meet the needs of the business would, in my opinion having worked in retail for 20 years, mean that you wouldn't have set hours but they could roster you more or less hours to meet the needs of the business. Are they asking you to stay? If so say yes or no to suit yourself if they are telling you well that's when you need to check your contract or get advise from your union rep

Advertisement