Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade?

Options
  • 08-06-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

So I'm just wondering if I need to upgrade my entire system or just a graphics card upgrade will do?

System specs:
    Intel i5 3550
    ASRock B75 Pro3 Motherboard
    Gigabyte 7950 3gb
    8gb Ram
    I have an SSD for my OS and a HDD for my games.

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just a new card for most games though for a few (Battlefield 1, Fallout4, Battlegrounds) an upgrade to something like an i7-3770 would also see big gains alongside a new card.

i5-3550 is still decent enough though.

Card wise, you'd need to be hitting an RX580 or GTX1060 6GB and above for a worthwhile upgrade. The 7950 is still quite decent at 1080p mid-high settings.

You should get about €80 a piece for the 7950 and 3550 if you want to sell either or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 impop

Agree, I did that myself back in March. Upgraded i5-3550 for an i7-3770K (room for a bit of overclocking) and got a GTX1070. No bottlenecks detected so far although I am not a gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

If I was just to upgrade the graphics card would the i5 be a bottleneck? I'm running a ultra wide monitor btw so would the RX580 or GTX1060 be okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on the game. Something like Battlefield 1, there would be a bottleneck. Something like Call of Duty, Resident Evil, Rainbow Six or Overwatch, not really.

BF1 will still run fine, there will just be much better minimum/average frames on the i7 because it's a very CPU demanding game.

Just depends on the games you're playing.

I assume it's 2560x1080? RX580 or GTX1060 are perfectly fine for that resolution. The next step up is the GTX1070 which is over €200 more expensive.

Advertisement