Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an iMac without a hard drive as a second display?

Options
  • 08-06-2017 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if it's possible to use an iMac as a second display (off another iMac) if the hard drive in one isn't working? I'm familiar with Apple's TDM, but I can't find a straight answer to this.

My current iMac looks like it's having issues with the hard drive & since I was thinking of upgrading anyway, I was going to swallow the loss of selling on as I'd need to get it repaired first & instead have the two of them on my desk with the "faulty" one acting as a second screen.

If there's no hard drive attached I get a grey screen with a question mark, so the display is working.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't believe it's possible. To use TDM I think you need OSX installed and obviously you need a hard drive for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OU812 wrote: »
    If there's no hard drive attached I get a grey screen with a question mark, so the display is working.

In that case you've already opened the case? Why not just swap in the cheapest drive you can get and reinstall OSX?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

ED E wrote: »
    In that case you've already opened the case? Why not just swap in the cheapest drive you can get and reinstall OSX?

Because the hard drive sensor is failing & it keeps shutting down the system thinking it's overheating. Solution is a new logic board & at that I may as well have a new mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres a hack to short out those pins so it forever reads 0*C. A paper clip and some tape is all it takes.

Have a google if you're interested.

Advertisement