Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kryptonite locks

Options
  • 08-06-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

I've decided to buy a Kryptonite New York Lock, but there seems to be at least three different types (Fahgettaboudit, Standard, Mini)

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fahgettaboudit = Super thick

So you can have a NY Mini or NY Fahgettaboudit Mini.

I use a Series 2 (slightly cheaper) and wouldnt get any of the mini versions. Yes, fits in your belt etc, but really limits what you can lock to. I lock seat tube and rear wheel and then a lamp post so a mini just isnt big enough.

If you need the extra thickness of a Fahgettaboudit then maybe your bike is too valuable to be left in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just be careful with the ultra small D locks. Whilst safer from brute force attack, they make locking to lampposts a bit more troublesome.

I've a Evolution Mini for the last 7-8 years and it's never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

The fahgetaboutit is best forgotton (It's very heavy, if you use it for anything other than designated cycle stands, it's generally too damn small to be useful. It's so thick that a thief would be better off cutting your bike or the thing it's locked to).

If I were buying now, I'd buy the courier favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've a Mini 7 which I kinda got my accident.

Halfords are doing a web deal at the moment on the Mini 5 for €24 ~ incredibly cheap for a good Kryptonite.

When I went into the Coolock (Dublin) store to collect the lock I was offered the Mini 7 [with the steel cable] for an extra five Euro, so I snapped it up.

I like that when I lock my bike up at the gym that its tight against the pole and a thief can't get a jemmie bar into it to try break it.

They're heavy, but I only use it on my commuter bike. My road bike is used for training only, and besides I can't walk too far in my shoes so I've no need for a lock.

I think if you could get the deal I got then you'd be mad to miss it, and the Mini 5 offer is still available so you might get lucky. I use the frame clamp to carry it. It looks poxy but its very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just to be awkward ... I've been using the Fahgettaboudit mini for years and have had no problem with it. I do need a second lock to secure the rear wheel, but I would always use two locks anyway, and the very odd time I can't find a piece of street furniture that can accommodate the Fahgettaboudit, I can use the other lock to secure the frame, and lock the rear wheel to the frame.

It also can be carried very neatly on the rear rack, on my bike at least.

I like it a lot. On the other hand, as said already, if a thief can cut through a Sheffield stand (or whatever you're locked to), it's not quite so advantageous that they can't cut through the actual lock.

• Advertisement

The Kryptolok Series 2 can be defeated with hand tools, so I wouldn't recommend it as a single lock for high-crime areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

2 of the kids survived 4 years in UCD/TCD and all around town with their bikes and a standard NY Kryptonite (yellow one) so it gets my vote

Security skewers on quick release wheels as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I just got a mini 5 to carry on the bike along with an existing Messenger mini. A NY Fahgettaboudit mini lives on the rack at work while the mini lives on the bike for casual nip-into-the-shop stops. Both require effort to find a suitable stand/pole as they won't fit lampposts. OTOH, there's no room to get a jack or lever into the lock which is an issue with bigger locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ED E wrote: »
    So you can have a NY Mini or NY Fahgettaboudit Mini.
    These are both the same, its the new york Fahgettaboudit range.

NY is meant to be bad for bike theft so this lock is supposed to stand up to the worst theives.

The NY mini has a 18mm diameter shackle, the standard NY is 16mm, and going cheap on amazon at £44.99 with free delivery
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cycling-Locks/Kryptonite-York-Standard-FlexFrame-Bracket/B005YPK9SY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496997899&sr=8-2&keywords=Fahgettaboudit

There is a large size one with 18mm but is rarer to find on sale, intended more for motorbikes. It is long but narrow, CRC have it

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/kryptonite-new-york-m18-u-lock/rp-prod28854

Heavy locks can be left locked at your destination, a U lock is less likely to be nicked than a decent chain lock -I mean thieves cutting locks just to rob the heavy chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Does anyone use an Abus Bordo folding lock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Does anyone use an Abus Bordo folding lock?

I do. The Granit X plus. No complaints. I do use it in combination with the Krypto Fahgeddaboudit though. And an aux cable. Overkill? Maybe. But I've left a nice bike parked in some dodgy areas and have come back to see others have been nicked. The best form of bike security is to lock close to a nice bike that's been locked badly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have the Fahgeddaboudit Mini, and use it for locking my frame to fixture; such as 'Sheffield' bike stands which are thick of diameter. I use the lock in conjunction with a Kryptonite cable lock looped through wheels/frame and onto the the arms of the Mini lock. Requires a bit of a think on how you lock your bike but otherwise it's grand. The [mini] lock is heavy though.

Edit: that said about weight; in an age where people whinge about their shoelaces being too heavy, whenever I have carried the lock in a backpack, I haven't notably 'felt' that I was carrying excessive weight. If I was carrying nothing but the lock I might feel different of course. But the lock is still heavy by lock standards considering its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

rubadub wrote: »
    Heavy locks can be left locked at your destination.

+1 I don't get that seeing commuters carrying their locks home with them ffs.:confused:
    If you have a job buy a 2nd cheaper one for home just for nipping the local shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2nd cheaper one for home just for nipping the local shops etc.

Id be more inclined to use the expensive one outside the local tesco and leave the cheap one for the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Id be more inclined to use the expensive one outside the local tesco and leave the cheap one for the workplace.

Local shops as in popping into a newsagents for 3 mins just to stop an opportunity thief wheeling
    it around the corner etc.

If peeps are gonna use their bikes as their main transport even at home then both locks should be chosen
    with the same 'Bike = X value, lock cost should be proportionate to the value and/or risk of area and time it's left'.

An hour 15 isles deep inside the back of Tesco Finglas is about as bad as 8 hours unnattended to a railings in town.
    Mebbe worserer :D

A €100 2nd lock can be resold for half price if ever finished needing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

As always, remember the number one rule about locking bikes. Always lock up beside someone who's silly enough to use a ****e lock for a decent bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I've read the entirety of the Stolen Bikes Thread and only recall two instances of orange kryptonites being the lock broken. Unfortunately, people aren't encouraged to share that information, so we're missing out on huge amount of useful data.

Personally, New York M18 lock left at Barnardos Square (across from the Olympia) with a Mini 5 and Series 2 carried around with me. Specialized Allez locked outside on Dame Street for the majority of nights for four years.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    The Kryptolok Series 2 can be defeated with hand tools, so I wouldn't recommend it as a single lock for high-crime areas.

Interesting. Any more info on this? Bolt cutters?

Here's a Mini 5 of mine being cut with a hand angle grinder, it took under a minute: https://youtu.be/mfgkJN2kMyQ. Nobody walking past blinked.

I've read the entirety of the Stolen Bikes Thread and only recall two instances of orange kryptonites being the lock broken. Unfortunately, people aren't encouraged to share that information, so we're missing out on huge amount of useful data.

Personally, New York M18 lock left at Barnardos Square (across from the Olympia) with a Mini 5 and Series 2 carried around with me. Specialized Allez locked outside on Dame Street for the majority of nights for four years.

Here's a Mini 5 of mine being cut with a hand angle grinder, it took under a minute: https://youtu.be/mfgkJN2kMyQ. Nobody walking past blinked.

If anyone else finds themselves in that situation at least make an effort to avoid showering car bodywork and glass with hot steel sparks. Ignorant, careless carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭josip

tomasrojo wrote: »

It also can be carried very neatly on the rear rack, on my bike at least.

I like it a lot. On the other hand, as said already, if a thief can cut through a Sheffield stand (or whatever you're locked to), it's not quite so advantageous that they can't cut through the actual lock.

http://newatlas.com/saw-resistant-bike-racks/50042/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dont forget about leaving the lock somewhere and cycling to it, Ive got a big heavy OnGuard Bulldog brick left at my nearest DART station for the last 5 years and its great, would never cycle with it though.

• Advertisement

Mentions bolt cutters here:
    http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/kryptonite-kryptolok-series-2-review/

Someone I know had her bike stolen and the thief seemed to have opened the Series 2 without cutting it.

Might depend on the workplace and local tesco. I have 2 decent ones with heavy chains. I bring a NY on its own if going to local shops, I bring the lot if leaving anywhere for any length of time. I regular see lads looking for anything to nick in work.
    I have often asked in the bike forum. I had a kryptonite with a broken key, I brought a decent hacksaw to the spot but could not even get a start on it. I had to saw through the kryptonite cable that came with it, which also took a while. At home with a grinder I was through it in a couple of minutes. This was a angle grinder with a grinding wheel, with a cutting disc it is faster. It was regular size series 2
    Thargor wrote: »
    Ive got a big heavy OnGuard Bulldog brick
    I like the onguards, I have one and a mate has one. Came with loads of keys and the keys look good & strong, the locking mechanisms look decent too. I have never had an issue opening or closing it. I have with kryptonites, and oxfords are totally crap. The on guards seem very good value next to comparable abus or kryptonite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I regular see lads looking for anything to nick in work.
    Do you work in a prison? :pac:

Do you work in a prison? :pac:
    haha, I mean outside, lads in vans drive around an industrial estate robbing anything that is not nailed down. Though some actually do just stroll into the place to rob, or send kids in.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

I have the fahgettaboudit and the standard NY one. They're both very heavy and I usually leave one at work and one at home as they're not ideal to carry around.

Also use both with the kryptonite cables for the front wheel.

the f'boudit is my favourite as the shackle is thicker and shorter, so when locking to poles etc it's very snug and no one is getting anything in between it.

I was quite surprised with how thick and small it is which means for some poles its difficult to get between the back wheel, frame and pole.

But again, once you get it locked in you know it's not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

haha, I mean outside, lads in vans drive around an industrial estate robbing anything that is not nailed down. Though some actually do just stroll into the place to rob, or send kids in.
    Before my time, but apparently in my business park one of the bike cages (that had been left open) in one of the other blocks. Just followed someone in under the barrier into the car park, so I wouldn't go too light in work to be honest!

Advertisement