Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2017 - reports, queries and chat

Options
  • 14-05-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Anyone caught any mackerel this year in Ireland yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

kisugem wrote: »
    Anyone caught any mackerel this year in Ireland yet?

Good few being caught off ballycotton but very scattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

I caught a good few but only brought a few home to test what they tasted like. they were just ok to eat but a lot of flavour lacking. late next month the will have built themselves up better and will taste a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Where did you catch these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Where did you catch these?

+1

outside of Youghal

• Advertisement

Went again to Clogherhead.... lovely weather.... water was clear but there was some kind of residue in it... i cant describe it...but it was getting on the line while retrieving...like a glue covering the line... i didnt make a pic... ;( so imagine clear mono covered in the brownish residue..discusting.... the tide was up... no fish caught tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mattcullen

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Went again to Clogherhead.... lovely weather.... water was clear but there was some kind of residue in it... i cant describe it...but it was getting on the line while retrieving...like a glue covering the line... i didnt make a pic... ;( so imagine clear mono covered in the brownish residue..discusting.... the tide was up... no fish caught tho...

Were your hands stinging a bit after taking it off? I've got this boat fishing before and it's from Jellyfish but not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

mattcullen wrote: »
    Were your hands stinging a bit after taking it off? I've got this boat fishing before and it's from Jellyfish but not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

Went there today again....the same... it can be scrubbed of the line....it sticks only on mono not on braid..but it makes the line from clear to dark brown in 3 casts from the pier in harbour. It doesnt smell tho....feels like a dirt some kind of... but its not nice.... the feathers needs to be washed after 3 casts only...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Went there today again....the same... it can be scrubbed of the line....it sticks only on mono not on braid..but it makes the line from clear to dark brown in 3 casts from the pier in harbour. It doesnt smell tho....feels like a dirt some kind of... but its not nice.... the feathers needs to be washed after 3 casts only...

Why didnt you take a pic today?

ardinn wrote: »
    Why didnt you take a pic today?

Me idiot left my phone home.... will go there tomorrow or saturday again and if ocuring i will make the pic.

Just realised i didnt clean it after ...moment brb

• Advertisement

Pic
    This is after one cast....3 casts and its like a dark brown and has to be scrubbed

More..

NOTE THIS WAS AFTER ONE CAST

The feathers were brand new....as i though maybe the mono is the culprit...so brand new used for 1 hour...thats how they looks like now

Any ideas whats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Cannot see very well but rotten weed or meat of large animal? I hope it is not oil....

Hm..was there today again...the same...i am no expert but i asume its kind a dirt to me...kinda plankton... but why it sticks only to mono...thats strange to me.... as if its dirt it would stick to braid...as i said i am using main line blue braid and the end are feathers only on mono. But its really bad..i cant see any fish breathing in the water with this in it. I was there like 5 days in the row and i caught 0 fish....

It could be an algae bloom. I've seen monofilament nets destroyed with it in years gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I think nokia has it correct algae would probably be the problem sticks to mono alright.. don't know what else it would be..

I think nokia has it correct algae would probably be the problem sticks to mono alright.. don't know what else it would be..

Thats not the thing....defo not... at least looking at it it doesnt look to me...

judging by your photos it does look like algae bloom. I can recall seeing that on monofilament nets many years ago. we would spend hours tryin to get rid of it by shaking the nets vigorously as we pulled them into the boat. we would catch nothing as the nets looked like a wall in the water and the fish could see them without any problem

nokiatom wrote: »
    judging by your photos it does look like algae bloom. I can recall seeing that on monofilament nets many years ago. we would spend hours tryin to get rid of it by shaking the nets vigorously as we pulled them into the boat. we would catch nothing as the nets looked like a wall in the water and the fish could see them without any problem

Well then it must be the algae....i was only googling pics and its not the same.... but i am no expert by any means. I will check again next week and see if its still there... thank you.

On another note does it go away? Or can it harm a fish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well then it must be the algae....i was only googling pics and its not the same.... but i am no expert by any means. I will check again next week and see if its still there... thank you.

On another note does it go away? Or can it harm a fish?

We've wandered a bit from a Mackerel thread but that is definitely a plankton bloom. It's a result of the recent weather, will dissipate, and does no long term harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

We've wandered a bit from a Mackerel thread but that is definitely a plankton bloom. It's a result of the recent weather, will dissipate, and does no long term harm.

Back on topic ;)

mackerel_zpsldaxle2v.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dmc17 wrote: »
    Back on topic ;)

mackerel_zpsldaxle2v.png

Where and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Where and when?

Yesterday in Clare

Yes it always happens in hot weather.

No macs in Clogherhead yet...3 lads fishing...water was muddy as the deep "trollers" (boats) were digging near harbour and the water was like a milk - sandy...hopping for this weekend that it will give some fish.... nice weather outhere....

Anyone getting any fish...the weather outhere is stunning....planning to go tomorrow... hopefully it stays like that

Just came back home... 1 hour in... got at least 50+ polocks....took 2 big with me and 6 small for dead bite.... rest back...

Every single cast got 2-3...it was one of my best day out there....even better then with mackerel... i was just beside harbour casting from rocks...

It was really amazing...mother nature rewarded me for patience.

Superb

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Just came back home... 1 hour in... got at least 50+ polocks....took 2 big with me and 6 small for dead bite.... rest back...

Every single cast got 2-3...it was one of my best day out there....even better then with mackerel... i was just beside harbour casting from rocks...

Superb

If you put the time into anything you will see the rewards. Well done on a good days fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Superb

Good job. Where were you?

Advertisement