Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2017 - reports, queries and chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Anyone out and about around Dublin catching from the shore at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Was that in Clogherhead bikerguy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Merkin wrote: »
    Was that in Clogherhead bikerguy?

Yeh it was..back on friday when the water was crystal clear...but it wasnt from the harbor itself but from the rocks instead harbor gave me no fish at all.

Still no mackerels in Drogheda area.... caught again some pollocks.. not big tho but its fun... they fight and if you get 2 or 3 in one throw its not bad at all.... but the seals are back in business....

Lost 3 rigs to them.... 1 seal is now with pink feather hook on his lips swimming around... lol

Anyway...probably a few weeks before macks arrive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

MOD - I split the most recent post from the 2016 thread and put them here for the 2017 mackerel thread, although the 2016 never really stopped reporting catches throughout the winter! :eek:

• Advertisement

Was out good few times in clogherhead.... Drogheda area... the dirt aka plague bloom is all over the harbour again..... i was talking to some fisherman....he said its never been so bad..... acording to him its because of pesticides used by farmers....

I am no expert...just saying what i have been told...the water is a mess and no sign of mackerel neither..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Was out good few times in clogherhead.... Drogheda area... the dirt aka plague bloom is all over the harbour again..... i was talking to some fisherman....he said its never been so bad..... acording to him its because of pesticides used by farmers....

I am no expert...just saying what i have been told...the water is a mess and no sign of mackerel neither..

It won't be down to pesticides. They don't cause algal bloom. Fertilisers and slurry will because blooms are often caused by excess nutrients along with warm and sunny weather. Likely it's down to nutrient runoff due to spreading slurry and or fertilisers along with the recent warm spell. I would guess the fisherman has mixed up pesticides and fertiliser.

Human sewage could also be a contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fisherman1997

Anybody know when i will catch loads of mackeral and where? I was in howth many of times somedays i caught nothing and only on one day i caught 5,was in greystones and dalkey and caught nothing either? Whats wrong am i too early or late ??

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mattcullen

Anybody know when i will catch loads of mackeral and where? I was in howth many of times somedays i caught nothing and only on one day i caught 5,was in greystones and dalkey and caught nothing either? Whats wrong am i too early or late ??

More than likely not doing anything wrong. If you caught before chances are the tackle is ok . Watch what others are doing and ask them for advice. I'd say more than likely there's just no shoals around when you've been out. If the fish are there you'll catch. As for when they'll be there, just keep trying and keep your ear to the ground. They're not that predictable but settled weather in July and August should see you right.

mattcullen wrote: »
    More than likely not doing anything wrong. If you caught before chances are the tackle is ok . Watch what others are doing and ask them for advice. I'd say more than likely there's just no shoals around when you've been out. If the fish are there you'll catch. As for when they'll be there, just keep trying and keep your ear to the ground. They're not that predictable but settled weather in July and August should see you right.

Yes howth seems to be best spot but the mackerel were very small althought when i was there last week everybody caught mackerel i think when the tide came in

• Advertisement

If anybody catches anything in dublin please share your post here. Thanks

Bio Mech wrote: »
    It won't be down to pesticides. They don't cause algal bloom. Fertilisers and slurry will because blooms are often caused by excess nutrients along with warm and sunny weather. Likely it's down to nutrient runoff due to spreading slurry and or fertilisers along with the recent warm spell. I would guess the fisherman has mixed up pesticides and fertiliser.

Human sewage could also be a contributor.

Yeh i did some " google research " and yes your theory seems to be 100% acurate. Will go there overweekend again and i will see whats the story.... fingers crossed it will clear up a bit....

Last year i was there almost every day work permitting and i havent experienced such a issue.... as i said the mono is getting dirty and as per my research the water is starved i mean lack of O2 will either kill the fish or make them to avoid the area... ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Yeh i did some " google research " and yes your theory seems to be 100% acurate. Will go there overweekend again and i will see whats the story.... fingers crossed it will clear up a bit....

Last year i was there almost every day work permitting and i havent experienced such a issue.... as i said the mono is getting dirty and as per my research the water is starved i mean lack of O2 will either kill the fish or make them to avoid the area... ;(

With the warm weather forecast it might take a while to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Im going on Sunday for a while (might even skedaddle tomorrow if i can). Hope it will have cleared a bit, been years since I had a line in the water

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    Im going on Sunday for a while (might even skedaddle tomorrow if i can). Hope it will have cleared a bit, been years since I had a line in the water

Was there all afternoon....4pm till 9pm..

Water in harbour mess.... 0 fish to be seen or caught.... from the rocks "on open" sea it was a bit better and i hooked few pollocks.... but in 5 hours i say 20... i didnt take any..all went back... but no sign of mackerel....

Hint; the algea bloom was still present but only in harbour.. people mad were swimming in it and jumping.... the mono was getting dirty there... +it didnt move away with tide....

Anyway good day out.... defo positive experience topped with some facial sunburn....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

I caught a few mackerel today, all rather small.
    Got them behind irelands eye, then the resident seal showed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Anything around slade/hook head??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What's the water like in Youghal or Ardmore at the minute? Thinking of heading down tomorrow for a blast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

no mackerel ashore in Youghal yet. was out in the boat last weekend and caught one for the day and we were out 7 miles from Youghal. Other angling boats had the same reports but things might have improved with the good weather during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Catching them by the box load in Clew Bay County Mayo for over a month now. All from the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SimonS1237

Anything being caught in the Balbriggan area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

What's the water like in Youghal or Ardmore at the minute? Thinking of heading down tomorrow for a blast

Nothing in Ardmore.

Mornington, clogherhead all the way up to dundalk.... no mackerel to be seen yet....strange....howth is giving fishes for about a month now....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Two of us fished Clogherhead on Saturday from kayaks - not a nibble (apart from two tiny Dab).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anything doing in Galway? Tempted to flog the Prom some evening this week as the tides are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

I heard a report that Mackerel were being caught from the shore in Carraroe. Has anyone heard any reports from closer to town such as in Spiddal or Barna.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ThomasGSAC

I was talking to someone who caught 4 last Wednesday at the docks in Galway. Others fishing beside him had one after around 5 hours fishing. Looks like they are in but in low numbers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Spent about 2 hours either side of high tide at Bertra channel , Clew bay last night. Lovely evening & nice to get some distance casting practice but unfortunately, no macks about yet.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Gyles quay dundalk, nothing so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ligertigon wrote: »
    Gyles quay dundalk, nothing so far

They'd need to be hitting big time in Clogherhead and Greenore before the pier at Gyle's Quay could offer much hope.

Advertisement