Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2017 - reports, queries and chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Dundalk bay is a sheltered nursery for fry.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ligertigon wrote: »
    Dundalk bay is a sheltered nursery for fry.:)

Yes, I've fished it for 65 years. Still needs mackerel to feed on the fry and they hit either side long before Gyle's Quay get's them to the pier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

They'd need to be hitting big time in Clogherhead and Greenore before the pier at Gyle's Quay could offer much hope.

+1

looks like good few weeks away before they will come.... water is full of sprat tho....when using feathers and castin into them easy to hook them...as well as small minows.. silver belly with sky blue back..nice looking wee fish i have to say...

caugh at least 30 last evening after 10pm on white feathers.... 3 other lads there as well.... i took 9 fishes out...and all of us walked away with 3 fish.... all the same size...and dont ask me how but i was only one who got all the fishes on the hook.... anyway i made some fellow fishermans happy....

good day out...

Clogherhead

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

4 Mackeral caught out near Loreto school in Dalkey, probably could of gotten more but only 1 of us was using feathers, decent size too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

Bikerguy wrote: »
    caugh at least 30 last evening after 10pm on white feathers.... 3 other lads there as well.... i took 9 fishes out...and all of us walked away with 3 fish.... all the same size...and dont ask me how but i was only one who got all the fishes on the hook.... anyway i made some fellow fishermans happy....

good day out...

Clogherhead

Funny looking mackerel! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

good day out...

Clogherhead
    the mackerel I catch are of a different colour !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 redstreak1961

nokiatom wrote: »
    the mackerel I catch are of a different colour !

Wat part of the moon u on mate. Being fishing in clougherhead for the last 2 weeks. And not a macker in sight

Wat part of the moon u on mate. Being fishing in clougherhead for the last 2 weeks. And not a macker in sight

pollock all the way.... yesterday got one over 1kg.... i know it may not be a monster but hey... it was a bit of fun.

no macks there yet... redstreak i wonder if i saw you there....i am there at least 5 times a week... #adicted

hint:one of the boats brought back macks.... acording to the crew they were only couple of miles away from harbour (he said no more then 5) ..... hopefully soon they will hit us.

here we go.... 2 decent size..resting in my belly...bit of butter and as fresh as you can get... delicious i can tell.. my son (3) loves them... they were nice taste for first one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

here we go.... 2 decent size..resting in my belly...bit of butter and as fresh as you can get... delicious i can tell.. my son (3) loves them... they were nice taste for first one
    Were these from Clogherhead? We've caught a few out in the boat, drifting from the Imogene towards Carlingford, but only a few. I haven't seen any sign of them from shore though.

bpmurray wrote: »
    Were these from Clogherhead? We've caught a few out in the boat, drifting from the Imogene towards Carlingford, but only a few. I haven't seen any sign of them from shore though.

near by... not from harbour....from the far walk over the cliffs but from shore... i could see them feeding... sprat jumping out and they chasing.... but they were rather in small groups 3 or 4 bigger ones... at least what i saw... near surface..... i had 30 min only as the tide was going out.... once the tide was out they were gone... but the pollock there this year is amazing.... getting 3-4 on one cast... not depending tide... as they are there... bellow rocks no matter what... good size as well... i mean around 1kg.... delicious... its close i can feel it... i mean close to macks kick in fully... sprat everywhere...looks like dirty water at times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Got one small one (maybe 5 - 6 inches) from a boat north of dalkey island last week. Didn't think it was possible to catch only one mackerel when we had two hand reels with 3 feathers each but we are total noobs and that was as good as it got (very disappointed young man with me).

What is the knack to catching them? You just need to either know or get Lucky as to where the shoal is? Beyond that a chap told me to find the bottom and bounce it off there or try mid water? That good advice?

a148pro wrote: »
    Got one small one (maybe 5 - 6 inches) from a boat north of dalkey island last week. Didn't think it was possible to catch only one mackerel when we had two hand reels with 3 feathers each but we are total noobs and that was as good as it got (very disappointed young man with me).

What is the knack to catching them? You just need to either know or get Lucky as to where the shoal is? Beyond that a chap told me to find the bottom and bounce it off there or try mid water? That good advice?

Find them and bounce the weight of the bottom.... the hard part is finding them.... once you do catching them is easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

a148pro wrote: »

Try going to where the gulls are diving into the water. They would be feeding on sprats that have been pushed to the top by the mackerel below. By jigging, the bouncing motion, the feathers up and down the macks will go for them. Be sure to use white or silver feathers. If you are drifting then be sure to use a heavy weight.

Thanks lads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Nothing in skerries today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Mate of mine caught loads from the rocks in Waterford today. All big ones aswell. Finished with over 70 in just over an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Finished with over 70 in just over an hour.

Out of curiosity what does he do with 70 mackerel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Can be used for deadbait I think? I don't know what I would do either lol.. fish for a few months ��

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I always drop a few in to my parents, another few to my brother, a few to my friends. I eat some and I keep some for deadbaiting. I caught over 100 in Youghal last Sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Me and a mate fished off the pier at Helvic last Saturday. Caught 16 pollock but no macks. A guy up from us caught 2 and some pollock too. We also saw about 10 dolphins swim in towards the coast. Nice to see as you don't see them too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Eat em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

You'd be surprised how fast you'd give them away. A lot of people I know love to get a few fresh ones

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Any thing being caught in Cobh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

have about 20 people ringing me caught over 100 last year in about 2 hours they were gone in less than a hour people must of taught i was selling drugs with the number of people calling to the house for them top class wild food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

dmc17 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how fast you'd give them away. A lot of people I know love to get a few fresh ones

Yiz all have more fish loving friends that me!

Fresh mackerel is hard to beat as a fish, breaks my heart to see those wrinkled specimens laid out on ice in the supermarket.

I agree. Very underrated fish.

Any thing being caught in Cobh

Was there... on the boat...2 macks... in sesion..on sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Nezamr

Has anyone recently had any luck in Clogherhead?

Advertisement