Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2017 - reports, queries and chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Nezamr wrote: »
    Has anyone recently had any luck in Clogherhead?

Was there today morning on tide up.... 4:30 am... and i wasnt alone... 4 lads...

No mackerel...cold and strong wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nezamr

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Has anyone recently had any luck in Clogherhead?

Was there today morning on tide up.... 4:30 am... and i wasnt alone... 4 lads...

No mackerel...cold and strong wind...

Thanks for letting me know. I might wait a couple more weeks before going!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi

Guys just wondering going out on a boat for mackerel but it will be in September will their still be a good few around, looking to get some deadbait..

Hi

Guys just wondering going out on a boat for mackerel but it will be in September will their still be a good few around, looking to get some deadbait..

Early sept in general the best time to get macks. They stay usualy till mid october..depending area and weather. But spet defo a good month

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Thanks biker

Should be in for a few so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

In blackhead in Clare this morning....25 macks in an hour and a half....few other lads catching the same....lovely fishing...2 at a time ...sometimes 1 sometimes 3 then 4.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Heard of 40 caught at Bullock Harbour Dalkey on Sunday. No further details about how they were caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Heard of 40 caught at Bullock Harbour Dalkey on Sunday. No further details about how they were caught.

Jesus thats bad. Only got out once last year in July and got well over 200 in 5 hours between 3

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

Anything down around Cobh from the shore yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Like to know myself as well.
    Must be quiet enough.
    We hear nothing coming back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Dgamblerbob

Anybody catching in dunlicky or bridges of Ross yet????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Like a load of junkies trying to get our fix hahaaa. Only 3 or 4 weeks left

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

no macks in cobh yet

Now... clogherhead... macks are in.... got 6 in one cast.... plenty of them and good size....but from the clifs not getting into harbour.

The water is full of sprat and once you hit them you have smile on face....

Now the only problem arw the bleeding seals...they took 80% of my fish... soemtimes even with gear.... how to avoid them? Any tips? Once i catch a fosh i have min 4 seals on the spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Now... clogherhead... macks are in.... got 6 in one cast.... plenty of them and good size....but from the clifs not getting into harbour.

Now the only problem arw the bleeding seals...they took 80% of my fish... soemtimes even with gear.... how to avoid them? Any tips? Once i catch a fosh i have min 4 seals on the spot

That's why I gave up anywhere near the harbour at Clogherhead. Seals take the fun out of it, you lose half your catch and most of your line and lures.

The trawler men and local fish processors dump waste into the harbour, so the place is a paradise for seals.

That's why I gave up anywhere near the harbour at Clogherhead. Seals take the fun out of it, you lose half your catch and most of your line and lures.

The trawler men and local fish processors dump waste into the harbour, so the place is a paradise for seals.

Talking about clifs.. seals following you and once you catch single fish its like a nursery there...they all come...

Yes you are right about the waste.... even the shops come all day long to dump fish waste over to the water in harbour... shops i am reffering fish shops/butchers from drogheda.... tons of waste a year... can be seen on daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Its going to get worst over the next few years thanks to the do gooders stopping the culls of them lovely seal pups .

Where is clogerhead? Any caught in Ardmore or Youghal yet.

Where is clogerhead? .

South County Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I was in Dalkey on Tuesday afternoon and a small amount of macks (4/5 in total) were caught by 6 anglers around high tide. Very slow indeed, of course a young lad on the pier said 'you should have been here yesterday, they caught waaaay more'.

The young lad to his credit pointed out that the sea was a bit rougher on Tuesday and that might have been a factor.

Hats off to local knowledge :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This week nothing in Clogherhead.... handfull macks were caught between 10+ anglers during the week...but the place is somehow avoided by macks now.... hm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

This week nothing in Clogherhead.... handfull macks were caught between 10+ anglers during the week...but the place is somehow avoided by macks now.... hm...

I was down twice during the week - both time I coaught a couple in about 30mins. Today we were out from Carlingford near the Hellyhunter and caught loads - we were throwing them back.

What could I spin for off the peer in Youghal with a 12 feet spinning rod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Avoiding the seals I reckon, or else they were too late and the seals saw them first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

bpmurray wrote: »
    I was down twice during the week - both time I coaught a couple in about 30mins. Today we were out from Carlingford near the Hellyhunter and caught loads - we were throwing them back.

Just an fyi, when putting back mackerel try not to touch the fish. Hold the hook and shake the fish off directly into the water.

I know that keeping any handling of fish to a minimum is best, but particularly so with mackerel.

:):):)

bpmurray wrote: »

I'm going to go and give Carlingford a try this afternoon. Can i ask what you mean by the hellyhunter?

I'm going to go and give Carlingford a try this afternoon. Can i ask what you mean by the hellyhunter?

It's a buoy.

Any luck up there?

Any luck up there?

I had a last minute emergency and unfortunately didn't get a chance to go today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Has anyone been catching much mac's on the west coast, my uncle has been fishing fanore his whole life and he said this year is the worst hes seen it. A handful of mackeral now and again. Is it the same all along the west coast. I remember 20 years ago goin up with him and youd be nearly guaranteed fish at high tide. Now he blanks most times. Hes nearly 70 now. He told me when he was a kid the sea would be black with mackeral. Its criminal whats being done to our seas.

Advertisement