Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2017 - reports, queries and chat

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Went out Saturday fishing off Lambay island Dublin had probably the best day I ever had catching mackerel .The only thing was a awful lot were small (put them back in )
    The sea was teaming with spratt I was on a boat, nearly every cast I made I had a bite

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Went out Saturday fishing off Lambay island Dublin had probably the best day I ever had catching mackerel .The only thing was a awful lot were small (put them back in )
    The sea was teaming with spratt I was on a boat, nearly every cast I made I had a bite

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

Went out last Friday for shark. Mackerel extremely scarce again and lots of tiny ones. Caught 5 blues. Heaviest 30lb, one about 20lb and the rest between 10 and 15lb. Never seen sharks so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

There were a lot of macks around the south wicklow area last weekend but all small fish. It hasnt been like thst in years in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

plenty of good mackerel caught by the charter boats in kilmore the past week or so, a few tuna been see following them as well although not as many as last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

going fishing next week on a boat spiddel, What ye think lads should we get much? need to stock up deadbait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

going fishing next week on a boat spiddel, What ye think lads should we get much? need to stock up deadbait!

You'd want to be careful as it's supposed to be very windy along the coasts this week, especially in the North and West.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    You'd want to be careful as it's supposed to be very windy along the coasts this week, especially in the North and West.

Should be sound out with a charter, just a question felt a bit sick last time out in the sea on a medium swel anything that would help before going out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Should be sound out with a charter, just a question felt a bit sick last time out in the sea on a medium swel anything that would help before going out?

Get a spot at the back of the boat, front is far worse for sea sickness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Worst year in living memory for mackerel??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

How did you get on. I was out on Inis Oirr this weekend with my family, not fishing, and I saw virtually no activity on the way out or around the three islands. Very few sea gulls and gannets feeding on sprat. Cant believe there is nothing that can be done about the commercial over fishing.

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    How did you get on. I was out on Inis Oirr this weekend with my family, not fishing, and I saw virtually no activity on the way out or around the three islands. Very few sea gulls and gannets feeding on sprat. Cant believe there is nothing that can be done about the commercial over fishing.

haven't been out going this week tho, anyone fished around spiddel?

cheers for the tips for the sea sickness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I've flogged the Prom in Galway a couple of times over the last few weeks and nothing:( Have been fishing the Prom for macks for the best part of 25 years and I've never seen it so bad. I saw one run of sprat one evening about a month ago but absolutely no action since. I hear of the odd one or two being caught but there doesn't seem to be any proper shoals coming near the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

Down Ballycotton at family doo last weekend. Plenty of small smelt (i think they were) caught off pier and mackerel were being caught in random batches of 2-3 every 45mins or so. Very poor return, in numbers but they weren't small. Wind was howling.

flended12 wrote: »
    Down Ballycotton at family doo last weekend. Plenty of small smelt (i think they were) caught off pier and mackerel were being caught in random batches of 2-3 every 45mins or so. Very poor return, in numbers but they weren't small. Wind was howling.

Small smelt how long where they? Hopefully the wind goes off for the weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

Small smelt how long where they? Hopefully the wind goes off for the weekend !
    Largest was 5 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Any tench, lads?

Are they feeding at this time of year? Looking to catch within Dublin region

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

lots of small mackerel again and lots of small sharkshttp://small%20shark.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

jme2010 wrote: »
    Any tench, lads?

Are they feeding at this time of year? Looking to catch within Dublin region

no, you can try but youd be better off waiting till next year

Advertisement