Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bike Week - is it on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

That would be bike week in general. When you organise something no one's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hard to be interested if you don't know its on. Used to be great interest in previous years, with the city cycle and Phoenix park events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

as per the comments on the irishcycle.com article it's a bit ironic to have the bike fest in a park which doesn't permit cycling and doesn't have any bike parking facilities!

that said, i'm happy it's on there as i live nearby and will bring my 16 month old down to see if he has any interest in balance bikes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

beauf wrote: »

Apart from the lunchtime cycle that the Garda scuppered, seems similar to previous years to me but with the addition of the Velodrome thingy in Smithfield.

What would you like to see happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Apart from the lunchtime cycle that the Garda scuppered,

Is there a story behind that? Was wondering why they weren't doing it this year. Mind you, the route via the East Link was a bit of a disaster previously.

Hoping to get along to St Anne's Park on Sunday with the young lad who just got his first 'proper' bike. He doesn't do rain though so hope the weather holds out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The forecast looks okay so far.

I'll be marshalling at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There are three cycles around food gardens today (Saturday), though people were asked to register for them in advance:

419519.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've heard nothing about it and I'm subscribed to a plethora of bike related social medias.
    If you're not on top of your promotion then you're a candle in the end. I'm not into gardening but I knew all about Bloom...

Had to go looking to find out about events near us, nearest 30km away :(

Annoying given there is a festival running here in our town this weekend they could have easily had a bike event as part of it. Even for kids, our wee one is chomping a the bit after Skerries and the Rás a few weeks back, what a great day out even if team car mammy had to push her along a bit :D

• Advertisement

went to st anne's park this afternoon after the heavy rain - was a nice buzz around the place. big little bikes had set up a nice demo area for their balance bikes and there were a few other shops there with stands including 360 & dutch bike shop.

apart from that they had some courses set up and were running races for various age groups and had ramps set up for lads on BMXs. crowds were actually suprisingly good considering the rain maybe half an hour earlier.

went to st anne's park this afternoon after the heavy rain - was a nice buzz around the place. big little bikes had set up a nice demo area for their balance bikes and there were a few other shops there with stands including 360 & dutch bike shop.

apart from that they had some courses set up and were running races for various age groups and had ramps set up for lads on BMXs. crowds were actually suprisingly good considering the rain maybe half an hour later.

Don't mention the rain! I was marshalling cyclocross for the afternoon when that hit.

(I was in a colourful jersey, pink vest, and rain poncho)

Don't mention the rain! I was marshalling cyclocross for the afternoon when that hit.

(I was in a colourful jersey, pink vest, and rain poncho)

i was thinking while i was there that there might not have been enough gazebos to keep everyone dry! fair play though, was a nice event. our lad is too young to have gotten much value out of it yet though tbf it probably helped us to decide what kind of balance bike will work well for him :)

Made it to St Anne's Park for Bikefest yesterday. Cycled up with the young lad on his new bike - it was his first 'big' spin (just over 10k round trip) but God help him, the headwind on the Coast Road on the way up almost put him off cycling for life!! He did enjoy the tail-wind on the way back though and arrived home with a big smile on his face so that was a good result !

There was plenty to see and do and there was a pretty good turnout. It was fantastic to see so many families there all on bikes and there was a great atmosphere. We timed it well and managed to avoid any of the rain. The stunt show guys were good and the young lad really enjoyed the candyfloss!

66C93473-EA52-45E7-B9DC-57655E89B059.jpg

@robyntmorton-Fair play to you and the rest of the marshalls for giving up your time on a Sunday to give others a good day out. I'm sure it wasn't fun when the rain hit!

It was fantastic to see so many families there all on bikes and there was a great atmosphere.

yeah that's a really good point - you could see pretty much every bike related method of moving / carrying children as you looked around! great opportunity as well for families to see & test child seats, trailers, childrens bikes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

real pity this isnt promoted more. fair play to the hardy souls that marshaled at it. I think there were a good few there from IMBRC at the mountain bike trail...Kids loved it.

my young lad now wants a fat bike ... god help us....

jmrc wrote: »
    real pity this isnt promoted more. fair play to the hardy souls that marshaled at it. I think there were a good few there from IMBRC at the mountain bike trail...Kids loved it.

There was a good handful of IMBRC going around the mountain bike/cyclocross trail alright.

(You know the weather is serious when the marshals and instructors run for the trees though! There's only so long we can rule 5)

jmrc wrote: »

There was a couple there on fat bikes and the guy had a kid in a seat on the back of his. They were getting a lot of stares from the crowd as they cycled around!

Have to say the bikes looked pretty cool!

There was a good handful of IMBRC going around the mountain bike/cyclocross trail alright.

I never made it over to the trail as we had to head home. Pity, as I was on the hardtail that's never seen anything more exciting than grass! :rolleyes:

That's a shame. I didn't even get to walk through the forest off road bit, as I was too busy marshalling hyper kids (and adults) on bikes through a crossroads...

• Advertisement
Advertisement