Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing expired Irish passport - how to get witness when moving countries?

Options
  • 09-06-2017 8:05am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Irish passport expired in 2015 whilst living in Oz. For the past couple of years I've been travelling on my Oz passport.

I wish to renew my Irish passport. The issue is that I have now moved to the Middle East since beginning of 2017 and there is no witness here who knows me for a prolonged period.

How can I handle the witness requirements to reapply for a new Irish passport?

Should I fly back to Ireland and get the police in my old home town (where I haven't lived for 14 years) to witness the passport application form? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any constructive info.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well is you read the instructions carefully you'll see that some of the witness classes do not have to know you personally! All that is required of them is that they can satisfy themselves as to your identity. Call your local Irish Embassy and discuss it with them, they should be able to suggest someone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Since last month you can apply for passports online. There is no need to have any witness sign photos.

https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks guys. Just back from submitting the paper applications here in Dubai. Turn around time is 3-4 weeks. Forms get shipped from Dubai to Abu Dhbai and then back to Dublin for processing. So I should be certified Irish again in a month or so :D

Jim2007 - I took your advice and found a local professional who could witness for me from that list.

Ponster - I saw that online process whilst doing my research but think it only works if the Passport is still valid. Mine expired a couple of years ago.

Cheers for the tips.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> I saw that online process whilst doing my research but think it only works if the Passport is still valid. Mine expired a couple of years ago.

Not that it matters now but no, you're current passport does not have to be valid. :)
    • You must have previously held an Irish Passport which has expired less than 5 years ago"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You are correct. It is possible to apply online to renew an expired passport if the applicant is over 18 (i.e. myself). However I was also reapplying for a junior (<18) which is not possible online.

Nearly had a heart attack there until I realized that the time spent visiting Enterprise Ireland in Dubai, getting the forms witnessed and driving around etc was actually required :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement