Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork council merger plans to be axed but extension of city boundary recommended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

FMG wrote: »
    I see the County Council are setting up panels for General Operatives, I wonder will the city council need more tradespeople to maintain the increased housing stock it inherits ?

I was talking to a manager in the City Council not so long ago and he told me that quite a few County Council workers will be transferring to the City Council when the boundary changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Thanks Kub, I was hoping the City Council would begin to replenish the Trades as they are undermanned according to lads in there but I suppose the transfer of workers could put a hold on recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 corinthion

Hi guys im from the county side that will be joining the city council , iv looked on google etc but i cant find out what difference this is going to make to me personally .if any? i know bus rates have come down. but with all the fuss the counselors are making in the county what are the pros and cons of it.
    it may be a stupid question but nobody has decided to tell the people what it is will be for them(or at least i cant find it) only the counselors worried about their election area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

corinthion wrote: »
    Hi guys im from the county side that will be joining the city council , iv looked on google etc but i cant find out what difference this is going to make to me personally .if any? i know bus rates have come down. but with all the fuss the counselors are making in the county what are the pros and cons of it.
    it may be a stupid question but nobody has decided to tell the people what it is will be for them(or at least i cant find it) only the counselors worried about their election area
    Bin collection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

corinthion wrote: »

vestal virgins will scatter rose petals in front of you, while angels with clarions accompany you about your business once the City subsumes your area.
    You'll notice more fawns and red squirrels among the newly planted flower beds, and the grass will be billiard table like. Your children will have whiter smiles, and shinier hair, and they'll be 34% smarter.
    All this has been prophesied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 corinthion

vestal virgins will scatter rose petals in front of you, while angels with clarions accompany you about your business once the City subsumes your area.
    You'll notice more fawns and red squirrels among the newly planted flower beds, and the grass will be billiard table like. Your children will have whiter smiles, and shinier hair, and they'll be 34% smarter.
    All this has been prophesied.

great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

How local government failed Cork
    http://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2018/0207/939021-how-local-government-failed-cork/

Interesting article here saying among other things that the expansion of the city towards the under populated, semi rural north and west around Tower and Blarney instead of the south and east towards the more populated and jobs centred suburbs and port is madness and will encourage further car dependency and low density sprawl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2018/0207/939021-how-local-government-failed-cork/

Interesting article here saying among other things that the expansion of the city towards the under populated, semi rural north and west around Tower and Blarney instead of the south and east towards the more populated and jobs centred suburbs and port is madness and will encourage further car dependency and low density sprawl

Yet another missive from UCC, most of the problems he highlighted are failures of central government and state agencies.
    I also fail to see why Cork County Council shouldn't allow development in the County.
    Is the County supppsed to remain stagnant or a quasi national park for City folk to visit at the weekend.
    The County Council have tried to support the City and almost uniquely ( take the example of Limerick and Waterford where the County Councils in their hinterland refused to acknowledge their enhanced role) have had an official policy of recognising the City as the engine of growth of the Cork Region, the fact that the City can't get their own house in order is not the CoCo's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yet another missive from UCC, most of the problems he highlighted are failures of central government and state agencies.

He spends the entirety of the first two paragraphs outlining this exact point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I also fail to see why Cork County Council shouldn't allow development in the County.
    Is the County supppsed to remain stagnant or a quasi national park for City folk to visit at the weekend.
    The County Council have tried to support the City and almost uniquely ( take the example of Limerick and Waterford where the County Councils in their hinterland refused to acknowledge their enhanced role) have had an official policy of recognising the City as the engine of growth of the Cork Region, the fact that the City can't get their own house in order is not the CoCo's fault.

The whole bloody problem is that Cork Co Co were doing disjointed developments right on the border with the City, with the city having no say.

Cork Co Co have lead to urban sprawl and a lack of road density which cause huge traffic issues in such areas like Douglas, Grange and Donnybrook. The state of Lehenaghmore is an absolute disgrace with no pedestrian access to the city as is both Clarke’s Hill and Coaches Hill in Rochestown.

One of the biggest insides of this expansion is that the City council now have the power to stop this bloody urban sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

ongarboy wrote: »

Yeah sure what would a pesky economist know anyway....

The whole bloody problem is that Cork Co Co were doing disjointed developments right on the border with the City, with the city having no say.

Cork Co Co have lead to urban sprawl and a lack of road density which cause huge traffic issues in such areas like Douglas, Grange and Donnybrook. The state of Lehenaghmore is an absolute disgrace with no pedestrian access to the city as is both Clarke’s Hill and Coaches Hill in Rochestown.

One of the biggest insides of this expansion is that the City council now have the power to stop this bloody urban sprawl.

What's an inside ? Cork CoCo have lead to urban sprawl? The state of Lehanghmore is an absolute disgrace? Is Lehanghmore an semi autonomous unit within a Federal system? As are both Clarke's Hill and Coach Hill.

mire wrote: »
    Yeah sure what would a pesky economist know anyway....

He clearly doesn't know that Glanmire is in the new City area.

What's an inside ? Cork CoCo have lead to urban sprawl? The state of Lehanghmore is an absolute disgrace? Is Lehanghmore an semi autonomous unit within a Federal system? As are both Clarke's Hill and Coach Hill.

I meant upside. It’s Cork County Councils responsibility to provide adequate access to these areas for pedestrians and car users alike and they have failed miserably.

Do you think the level of access in these areas is sufficient?

I meant upside. It’s Cork County Councils responsibility to provide adequate access to these areas for pedestrians and car users alike and they have failed miserably.

Do you think the level of access in these areas is sufficient?

I don't, but unfortunately CPO powers are piss poor in Ireland meaning that at times it's hard to deliver infrastructure.
    If the County Council had refused permission for a lot of these developments they would have had to pay compensation to the developers.
    There's plenty of poorly connected areas in the City area as well, infrastructure doesn't magically improve when you cross an invisible line.

I don't, but unfortunately CPO powers are piss poor in Ireland meaning that at times it's hard to deliver infrastructure.
    If the County Council had refused permission for a lot of these developments they would have had to pay compensation to the developers.
    There's plenty of poorly connected areas in the City area as well, infrastructure doesn't magically improve when you cross an invisible line.

Could you name some developments within the city that have lacked road density. Any new estates with poor access. I can think of plenty on the outskirts which have only one point of entry / exit.

Do you think eagle valley is a good design for instance. Only one exit / entrance and a nearly 15 min walk for people in the apartments in the bottom to get to a bus stop. Appalling planning. Truly awful.

Could you name some developments within the city that have lacked road density. Any new estates with poor access. I can think of plenty on the outskirts which have only one point of entry / exit.

Do you think eagle valley is a good design for instance. Only one exit / entrance and a nearly 15 min walk for people in the apartments in the bottom to get to a bus stop. Appalling planning. Truly awful.

Eagle Valley is appalling.
    Milestream, Blarney Road, the whole Western side of Shanakiel Road. Rossa Avenue a significant residential area missing footpaths at various locations.

A lot of the developments you bemoan are the result of political decisions,usually against the advice of the executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is Eagle Valley in the city area?

kub wrote: »
    Is Eagle Valley in the city area?

County.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting that Cork City Council seem to have purchased Inhagaggin House and lands. Intend using it as a greenway link to Ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

At least the article mentions the madness of including blarney and Tower in the city. Essentially a rural village.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

FrStone wrote: »
    At least the article mentions the madness of including blarney and Tower in the city. Essentially a rural village.

Blarney and Tower are hardly rural villages. They are urban areas on the edge of Cork City , they are suburbs of the city.

rebs23 wrote: »
    Blarney and Tower are hardly rural villages. They are urban areas on the edge of Cork City , they are suburbs of the city.

they're not even contiguous to the existing "suburbs" of the city.
    the green belt separates them from the current suburbs

Water John wrote: »
    Interesting that Cork City Council seem to have purchased Inhagaggin House and lands. Intend using it as a greenway link to Ballincollig.

wouldn't it be a fantastic amenity to have; a park going from Fitzgerald's park to Inniscarra bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Quite a lot of those living in Blarney, Tower and Cloghroe don't even have access to the public water scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With what lands they have acquired, I think a person will cross over the Carrigrohane Straight. A little inconvenience.

rebs23 wrote: »

With potential for a Rsilway station at Blarney.

As it does with Ballincollig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

As it does with Ballincollig.

And Little Island isn't separated by a green belt, yet here we are

Advertisement