Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork council merger plans to be axed but extension of city boundary recommended

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Water John wrote: »
    With what lands they have acquired, I think a person will cross over the Carrigrohane Straight. A little inconvenience.

was there more than the outlined in this deal?
    be brilliant to have it as greenway/park/amenity

20930_photo_14944058461.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well this is the piece by Tommy Barker that I read.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-to-acquire-106-acres-for-green-amenity-in-cork-466972.html
    Note from the article that, the City Council already has purchased land to the west of Inchigaggin Lane.
    You're nearer to it and may be able to interpret it better.
    You might even be able to leave the car at home and walk to the city.
    Didn't realise the land north of th Carrigrohane was in the deal. Big addition to the Lee Fields.

snotboogie wrote: »
    And Little Island isn't separated by a green belt, yet here we are

it kinda is, and its kinda in it.

Remind me whats to the left and right after Glanmire roundabout heading east? "suburbs"?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Little Island is separated from the city by Lough Mahon.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Little Island is separated from the city by Lough Mahon.

A blue belt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

I seen the new Cork City boundary map in tonight’s Echo , but’s it’s very hard to make it out in detail . Has anyone got the new detailed map ?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

The residents of any area, are entitled to their voice and should be heard. Not at all sure what Alf Smiddy is doing at such a meeting. His role has passed and his work rejected.

Alf Smiddy was appointed chairman of ITF (into the future) in 2015. They are involved in some major developments around Cork and have had access to property that was in NAMA. The man has his fingers in too many pies for it to be healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

was there more than the outlined in this deal?
    be brilliant to have it as greenway/park/amenity

20930_photo_14944058461.jpg
    Separate buyers have emerged with offers of almost €1m for a publicly-owned historic derelict property and a nearby landbank in Cork.

Two reports are due before Cork City Council on Monday recommending the disposal of the city council-owned Inchigaggin House off Carrigrohane Road, and a 4.7-acre parcel of council land, with access to Model Farm Road, on the western fringes of the city.

Councillors will be told that following the placing of both the house and landbank on the open market, €535,000 is the "best consideration reasonably obtainable" for the landbank, and €420,750 is the highest offer for Inchigaggin House.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/separate-buyers-offer-almost-1m-for-historic-derelict-property-and-land-in-cork-890683.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

Cork City Council has agreed to sell an historic derelict house it acquired last summer but has decided to hold on to a nearby landbank despite an offer of over €500,000.The decision to dispose of Inchigaggin House, on Inchigaggin Lane off Carrigrohane Road, on the western outskirts of the city for €420,750 was signed off by city councillors during Monday’s council meeting.

But it is understood that members of the council’s finance committee decided for strategic reasons to retain ownership of a nearby 4.7-acre landbank, with access off Model Farm Road and located just inside the county boundary, which had an offer of €535,000 on the table.
    https://www.eveningecho.ie/nationalnews/Cork-City-Council-sell-historic-derelict-house-for-over-400k-1bc8f236-29be-4799-8453-70fb77e9fd9b-ds

Had the 4.7 acres been sold for €535,000, likelihood was the buyer would apply for planning and then flip it for a large profit as development land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Apogee wrote: »
    Had the 4.7 acres been sold for €535,000, likelihood was the buyer would apply for planning and then flip it for a large profit as development land.

Could be nice to see the council design a wide river-side park that can act as a flood plain, build a flood dyke then have a high-density development corridor out to Ballincollig...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Could be nice to see the council design a wide river-side park that can act as a flood plain, build a flood dyke then have a high-density development corridor out to Ballincollig...

Have you seen the councils record on delivering parks?

Or event centres

Sorry
    Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's pretty unreal. Meanwhile the County Council are about to open the new park at Haulbowline and continue to develop Spike Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Pity it took this long. Thankfully the ridiculous merger idea was abandoned

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

A new interactive map has been published with the new LEA's and boundaries. I find it odd that the LEA's are being reduced by 1 and the number of councillors are staying the same when the cities population is increasing by 85,000

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-city-council-launches-interactive-boundary-extension-mapping-tool-901719.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I find it odd that the LEA's are being reduced by 1 and the number of councillors are staying the same when the cities population is increasing by 85,000

Presumably that's the only way they could get the county councillors to sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

A new interactive map has been published with the new LEA's and boundaries. I find it odd that the LEA's are being reduced by 1 and the number of councillors are staying the same when the cities population is increasing by 85,000

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-city-council-launches-interactive-boundary-extension-mapping-tool-901719.html

Interesting, thanks for posting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Does anyone find it strange that Cork City Council haven't communicated with community groups about the upcoming changes?

We are due to become part of the city soon, but have no idea what will happen to our grants.

Traditionally Cork City Council doesn't have Municipal districts. Alot of the counties grants to community groups are funded by the Municipal districts such as the amenity fund etc. Does the city have an amenity fund grant? Does it have the community development initiative? It's not clear from their poor website. Will funding levels for grants be the same when we move to the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

People may be finding out that the level of service from Cork City Council may not be the same as Cork County Council.

• Advertisement

People may be finding out that the level of service from Cork City Council may not be the same as Cork County Council.

Fingers crossed, because what we had from the county was quite poor.

Edit: I'm just poking fun.
    I've just had poor experiences of the County Council, particularly in relation to sustainable infrastructure and planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

The level of support and grant aid to sporting and community organisations from the County was fairly good in my opinion.

Everything clearly laid out online and applications could all be made online. Cork county's public participation network was second to none.

The staff transfer is picking up. 200 odd to transfer. Not what the City were looking for, but more than the County were offering. A lot of clerical staff seem to want to go.

I've heard talk of a 'Section 85' agreement between the two where the County will continue to deliver services in the transferred area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The staff transfer is picking up. 200 odd to transfer. Not what the City were looking for, but more than the County were offering. A lot of clerical staff seem to want to go.

I've heard talk of a 'Section 85' agreement between the two where the County will continue to deliver services in the transferred area.

That is good, mind you the City and County Fire services always worked well together regardless of who's area they were operating in.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

How many Fire stations will be in the new City. Is it 3 , 2 in the old city and 1 in Ballincolig ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

How many Fire stations will be in the new City. Is it 3 , 2 in the old city and 1 in Ballincolig ?

3, Anglesea Street, Ballyvolane and Ballincollig.
    I imagine that Ballincollig will be made full time as the City does not have retained/ part time firemen

kub wrote: »
    3, Anglesea Street, Ballyvolane and Ballincollig.
    I imagine that Ballincollig will be made full time as the City does not have retained/ part time firemen

I've heard in passing from one of the personnel based in Ballincollig that they will be made full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

County Council have notified General Operatives placed on the recruitment panels that they can now be transferred to City Council panels, presumably where candidates have been successful in area's that will come into City council under the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

FMG wrote: »
    County Council have notified General Operatives placed on the recruitment panels that they can now be transferred to City Council panels, presumably where candidates have been successful in area's that will come into City council under the extension.

Not necessarily, it's LIFO( Last in first out), up to 45 km for redeployment. People working in County offices anywhere within this radius may be redeployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Not necessarily, it's LIFO( Last in first out), up to 45 km for redeployment. People working in County offices anywhere within this radius may be redeployed.

Thanks for this, with up to 45 km for redeployment it probably has a lot of newer entrants wondering how things will fare out.
    I was actually referring to people that were waiting on panels and have not been hired yet ( I am on a panel for Ballincollig but have not heard anything from County Council). Probably just part of the changeover with no better chance of been hired.

Advertisement