Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork council merger plans to be axed but extension of city boundary recommended

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

FMG wrote: »
    Thanks for this, with up to 45 km for redeployment it probably has a lot of newer entrants wondering how things will fare out.
    I was actually referring to people that were waiting on panels and have not been hired yet ( I am on a panel for Ballincollig but have not heard anything from County Council). Probably just part of the changeover with no better chance of been hired.

From what I've heard, something like 45 actual people are being "LIFO'd" into City, the rest of the 200 are (unfilled) posts and posts assigned to areas, i.e. litter wardens. "Yours" might be one?

Whats the panel for Ballincollig?
    Is it just Ballincollig, or Ballincollig-Carrigaline district?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

From what I've heard, something like 45 actual people are being "LIFO'd" into City, the rest of the 200 are (unfilled) posts and posts assigned to areas, i.e. litter wardens. "Yours" might be one?

Whats the panel for Ballincollig?
    Is it just Ballincollig, or Ballincollig-Carrigaline district?

That would be good, I'm on the Ballincollig-Carrigaline panel so maybe I'll hear something in the next few weeks. Thats if they get down to my position on the panel. Thanks Roger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

FMG wrote: »
    Thanks for this, with up to 45 km for redeployment it probably has a lot of newer entrants wondering how things will fare out.
    I was actually referring to people that were waiting on panels and have not been hired yet ( I am on a panel for Ballincollig but have not heard anything from County Council). Probably just part of the changeover with no better chance of been hired.

You may be hired initially by the County but there will be a caveat in the contract warning you that you may be designated for transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

As of a few minutes ago we've managed to take back control of Ballincollig, Douglas, Blarney and various rebel strongholds. First thing next week we demolish and turn them into golf courses for us sophisticated urbanites.

As of a few minutes ago we've managed to take back control of Ballincollig, Douglas, Blarney and various rebel strongholds. First thing next week we demolish and turn them into golf courses for us sophisticated urbanites.

And they say Cork people aren't funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I look forward to weekending in Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well you can visit the 'urban farm' of the O'Learys. Pic is on the front hard copy of the Irish Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

What happens now that County Hall is deep inside the city?

"Hello, City Hall? This is County Hall, there are some streetlights on the blink outside, could you come and take a look... hello? Hellllooooo?"

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

who_me wrote: »

"Hello, City Hall? This is County Hall, there are some streetlights on the blink outside, could you come and take a look... hello? Hellllooooo?"

They’ve to build a new county hall, right by the new border, say in Srelane.

Then the old county hall can be turned into student flats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The County Hall has been inside the city boundaries since the last extenstion, whenever that was.

• Advertisement

It was never in the County!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

kub wrote: »
    The County Hall has been inside the city boundaries since the last extenstion, whenever that was.

The last city boundary extension before this one was way back in 1965. The County Hall was built in 1968. Therefore County Hall was built AFTER the last boundary extension and within the City.

Anywho...this is all academic. Cork as of 3 hours ago now has 210,000+ souls, and incorporates Douglas, Blarney, Ballincollig and the airport.

All Hail the bigger new Cork!! :pac:

Refugees from Douglas, Togher and Model Farm Rd (West) continue to stream out from the city along the N21.

35lf2px.jpg

The refugee camps at Ovens and Glounthane are at capacity. Cholera and canabalism is rumoured to be fife. County Council staff are struggling to cope

2mzif0y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I am living in one of the areas that became part of the City, I have been living here now for over 20 years.
    In all that time I have never ever witnessed what I did during this week, a City Council sweeping truck cleaning the road.
    So far so good under the City Council

I am living in one of the areas that became part of the City, I have been living here now for over 20 years.
    In all that time I have never ever witnessed what I did during this week, a City Council sweeping truck cleaning the road.

Probably on his way back to the depot.

I dont even think the County have those scarab things. Like clockwork they come into our estate. Met one of them coming out against me in the western rd inbound cycle lane this morning, clearing glass and shîte. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nothing done in our part yet, grass is still really high etc (near wilton but just became part of the city).

The roundabout was cut but nothing else. Hopefully soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Nothing done in our part yet, grass is still really high etc (near wilton but just became part of the city).

I think your expected to cut your own grass Cork County Council won't do it for you or ask a neighbour with a lawnmower.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    I think your expected to cut your own grass Cork County Council won't do it for you or ask a neighbour with a lawnmower.

On a public road?.. All the road outside wilton shopping center, up sarsfields road is all high grass still atm.

Not on about my own estate which is done by the residents association and we do cut our own grass thank you

On a public road?..

How could you be living on a public road?

• Advertisement

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    How could you be living on a public road?

the grass on the public road outside the estates which is now the city councils land which the county council used to cut. Either your trolling or you really don't know how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Probably on his way back to the depot.

Their depot is next to the City Bounds Bar, used see them wholesale when i worked up that way.

the grass on the public road outside the estates which is now the city councils land which the county council used to cut. Either your trolling or you really don't know how it works.

Measure the grass then and take a few pictures maybe the Council can implement emergency measures I've seen a fella go by my estate with a lawnmower it's a big one and always on. Must be a Council worker I could ask him what part of Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

On a public road?.. All the road outside wilton shopping center, up sarsfields road is all high grass still atm.

Not on about my own estate which is done by the residents association and we do cut our own grass thank you

Wilton Shopping Centre was always in the City Council Area.

Higher grass is more beneficial for the bee population anyways.

Thats your new biodiversity/pollinators strip

Edit
    Oops
    Beeten by Enzo

They'll get to Togher soon.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Wilton Shopping Centre was always in the City Council Area.

Higher grass is more beneficial for the bee population anyways.

Ah I thought the boundry used to stop near the maxol station! Looks like my area was the boundry then :)

Those biodiversity strips are actually becoming quite popular though which I do agree with. Saw that UCC had a large one on their campus the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

Not sure where my post best sits, and threads on the Ballincollig Regional Park are years old, and now that the city covers Ballincollig ….

I have real concerns about the new walk way in the park. From a health and safety perspective (I an not an expert but can see with my own eyes) that there is a lot of dangers with the new stretch of walkway for children and dogs.

I know it is a work in progress at the moment but there is a high volume of people using it even now. There are 10 to 15 feet drops that are concealed along the new walk, covered by plants and trees, that any kid or dog walking only inches from the tarred path could fall into and cause serious harm.

In addition and far worst in terms of a potential accident, is the massive drop next to the mill wheel. It is right next to the path. At path level the small wall is about a foot high, on the other side is a 15 to 20 feet drop. Making matters worse is that the top of the 1 ft wall is not flat, it is slopped towards the drop (about 45 degrees). Around the wall is loose stone, a child running to the wall would have no grip if they realised late the drop of the other side, likewise the momentum of a curious dog running to jump on the wall ….

I hope someone can pass on my concerns, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

omerin wrote: »
    Not sure where my post best sits, and threads on the Ballincollig Regional Park are years old, and now that the city covers Ballincollig ….

I have real concerns about the new walk way in the park. From a health and safety perspective (I an not an expert but can see with my own eyes) that there is a lot of dangers with the new stretch of walkway for children and dogs.

I know it is a work in progress at the moment but there is a high volume of people using it even now. There are 10 to 15 feet drops that are concealed along the new walk, covered by plants and trees, that any kid or dog walking only inches from the tarred path could fall into and cause serious harm.

In addition and far worst in terms of a potential accident, is the massive drop next to the mill wheel. It is right next to the path. At path level the small wall is about a foot high, on the other side is a 15 to 20 feet drop. Making matters worse is that the top of the 1 ft wall is not flat, it is slopped towards the drop (about 45 degrees). Around the wall is loose stone, a child running to the wall would have no grip if they realised late the drop of the other side, likewise the momentum of a curious dog running to jump on the wall ….

I hope someone can pass on my concerns, thanks

If you have serious Health & Safety concerns then you need to get in touch with the City council directly. With all due respect, posting it on boards will achieve nothing. Contact details here.
    Tel. +353 21 4924000

Out of Hours / Emergency Contact Number

+353 21 4966512

If you have any comments, queries or requests regarding Cork City Parks or green spaces please contact us at recreation@corkcity.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

I am not a member of Facebook but I saw that they posted that they have acknowledged the hazard I pointed out and have locked or at least reinforced the fences, so no one is walking the route now

Advertisement