Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy usage of individual items

Options
  • 09-06-2017 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi,

Want to start monitoring the electricity usage of each machine we have in work. I have seen energy monitors online like this one:
    http://www.maplin.ie/p/efergy-elite-wireless-energy-saving-monitor-n26gg
    They seem grand and get good reviews, but am I right in saying they just tell you how much power your meter/supply is using at any one time. People use these by looking at the screen and then switching on their television, and see how much the load jumps by? We cant turn machines on and off, they run 24/7, so i have no way checking how much each machine is using.

Is it possible to get a piece of kit that I can put on the power line to each machine and see what it is using for a period of 24 hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, there are inline gadgets which will monitor the power consumption over a period and tell you how many units the appliance has consumed. You plug the gadget into the power socket and the appliance into the socket on the front of the gadget so all the power passes through and is monitored.

It should also show actual consumption in realtime i.e. number of watts being consumed right now, useful if the appliance has different settings so you can see the effect.

Example....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-429-856UK-Power-Meter/dp/B003ELLGDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497007609&sr=8-1&keywords=power+meter

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Sorry I should have explained more detail. All our machines are wireddirectly into the sockets, we have no plugs. The machines are fairly critical so the idea is, if there is no plug, there is no chance of someone coming along and plugging out something critical to charge their phone!!

Is there anything that can get around that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

D001
    yes there is but it depends on the setup.
    For example on my domestic CU, I have a MCB for each room and I can get a Current transformer fitted to the phase on each MCB and that will give me the usage.
    The key is separate access to the phase, so if the cable is standard PVC/PVC three/4 core with phase(s)/neutral and earth in the one then it can't be done easily.

However if you have the wattage off the name plate, combined with run hours it will get you started.

HTH

ps is this 1 phase 230 V or 3 phase

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

D001
    yes there is but it depends on the setup.
    For example on my domestic CU, I have a MCB for each room and I can get a Current transformer fitted to the phase on each MCB and that will give me the usage.
    The key is separate access to the phase, so if the cable is standard PVC/PVC three/4 core with phase(s)/neutral and earth in the one then it can't be done easily.

However if you have the wattage off the name plate, combined with run hours it will get you started.

HTH

ps is this 1 phase 230 V or 3 phase

Cheers

Both single and 3 phase in use. Every machine has its own dedicated line and thus its own MCB on the board.
    Can you link me to one of the current transformers you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

delaney001 wrote: »
    Cheers

Both single and 3 phase in use. Every machine has its own dedicated line and thus its own MCB on the board.
    Can you link me to one of the current transformers you use?

You will need some sort of a data logger as well, I am trying to get some work out so will PM you later

If the phases are balanced on the machines then a cheaper way to do the 3P is just measure one and gross up

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement