Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwaving Vegetables

Options
  • 09-06-2017 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I need to increase my consumption of vegetables and thought microwaving might be quick and easy, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Should work - put them in a bowl with a bit of water, cover with a plate. They should come out just like steamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I do that from time to time. Not as nice as other methods of cooking them (they don't always cook evenly throughout) but works when you're in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A different idea but homemade vegetable soup is easy to make, make a batch at the weekend, keep some, freeze some. Or certain cooked veg keep well for the next day so do double and keep half so you aren't always needing to cook multiple things at once.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As Shenshen said above, a small bit of water and cover them. For root vegetables, you'd typically give them maximum power and if you're doing spuds, be sure to run a metal skewer through each one about 2 or 3 times to allow steam to escape, otherwise the bigger ones will burst. Also for spuds, leave them to stand for several minutes after microwaving them, they will still be cooking in the middle when you take them out.

You may feel that there's a raw taste off some vegetables even though they're cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Usually, we use a Pyrex bowl with lid.

1) Broccoli.
    Stand the cut florets upright in a couple of millimetres of water. With any luck, the stems will be cooked at the same time as the florets. Comes out with a wonderful emerald green colour.

2) Carrots.
    Couple of millimetres of water, salt (and sugar if the carrots are old), and a knob of butter. Single layer in the bowl. After nukeing, drain and add another knob of butter.

3) Green/French Beans.
    As carrots, but no sugar.

4) Potatoes.
    We don't usually cook these to completion, but more "parboil" them before a second cooking in, for example, sautéed potatoes or stovies. We don't use the bowl for these: just stab them a few times with a pointy knife and lay them on a plate. Turn at halftime.

Some people part-cook baked potatoes in the microwave before putting them in the oven. Haven't tried myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You could also look in a discount store and get a microwave rice steamer for things like broccoli, potatoes and carrots. Used to use one in college and it cooked veg quite well. Used to freeze the left over water in ice cube
    bags and used to use it instead of veg stock in receipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As an alternative - Stir-frying is another quick way of cooking veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If you are trying to cook and eat more vegetables, the single most important thing is to cook them in such a way that you like the taste.

I know if sounds obvious, but you risk making it a chore to eat, if you use a microwave for convenience and you don't like the veg.

In my opinion, microwaving isnt always more convenient or always quicker that using the cooker, so its a mistake to assume that it will encourage you to eat veg.

If you are talking about green beans, carrots, broccoli, etc, just heat some water on the cooker until its boiling, put in the sliced veg and cook for 2 -3 minutes. Drain the water and add a nob of butter and some salt/pepper to taste.

If you tell us what veg in particular you want to cook, we can give advice how how to cook it best so its really tasty.
    Theres lots of great veg out there, and loads of ways of cooking them. with a bit of experimenting, you'll really enjoy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

What would you be eating them with? I'd be all for one-pot dishes, I'd often chuck a load of frozen veg in towards the end, with whatever meat and sauce I'm having. They cook very quickly, and no additional washing up. It's every bit as convenient as microwaving, in my opinion.

By the way I'd definitely recommend trying frozen veg as well as (or instead of) fresh veg, they've great selections in Lidl and Aldi. Less chance of wastage.

Another option would be to get lots of veg in by having a salad with your meal, it's meant to be better for you eaten raw anyways. Say for example baby spinach leaves, cucumber, grated carrots, peppers, onions, whatever else you fancy. Chop it all up in a big bowl and it'll be good in the fridge for a few days, just have a good big portion of it with your lunches/dinners, with a bit of whatever dressing you like.

Or it's very easy to do a tray of roasted veg in the oven, e.g. sweet potato, courgette, carrots, butternut squash, etc. Not as fast as microwaving but just as convenient, and in my opinion the taste is better (marinate the veg first if you have time.)

Nothing wrong with microwaving if you're stuck for time, but I reckon veg tastes nicer when cooked other ways, and you're more likely to eat more of it then - even if it does involve a bit more time and organisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Want to eat more Cauliflower, carrots and broccoli. I don't like green beans. I do like Sugar Snaps though and often add them to stir fry.

I tried roasting the cauliflower but it gave out an awful smell. I do like roasted veg though and sometimes do parsnips and carrots.

When I think about what you guys have said about other ways of cooking you are correct, if it takes a little longer and tastes better it would make sense.

Salads are a great idea as well. I do try to eat some but find it a pain to try to think of things to put in it. At the moment my salad is usually, lettuce, sweetcorn, tomatoes and some beetroot. We are not keen on cucumber or radishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

oven bakes/casserole suit cauliflower and broccoli and frozen too so little prep, some sauce/cheese recipe and you are good to go plus you have a portion for next day

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Zelda247 wrote: »
    We are not keen on cucumber or radishes.

Cucumber gives me indigestion, and I'm not a fan of radishes - but lately I've been pickling both (separately), adding thinly sliced onion to each and they're delicious if you like pickled foods. They add a lovely crunch and flavour to salads.
    It's easy too - equal parts cider vinegar and sugar, and a generous pinch of salt. Add to the thinly sliced veg in a large bowl and mix it really well. Let it sit for half an hour or so then pop it into jars and it keeps for ages in the fridge.
    And no indigestiion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Cucumber gives me indigestion, and I'm not a fan of radishes - but lately I've been pickling both (separately), adding thinly sliced onion to each and they're delicious if you like pickled foods. They add a lovely crunch and flavour to salads.
    It's easy too - equal parts cider vinegar and sugar, and a generous pinch of salt. Add to the thinly sliced veg in a large bowl and mix it really well. Let it sit for half an hour or so then pop it into jars and it keeps for ages in the fridge.
    And no indigestiion :)

Sounds like a great idea, not sure about the sugar bit though as trying to cut down on sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea, not sure about the sugar bit though as trying to cut down on sugar.

When you consider the amount of pickle you'd eat, the amount of sugar is tiny.
    Most of the sugar would be in the liquid - just don't drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Claudia99

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah I do that from time to time. Not as nice as other methods of cooking them (they don't always cook evenly throughout) but works when you're in a hurry.
    Got an idea during travel. Hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sam_Doyle

In any case, the microwave is not a good idea and everyone should get rid of it. Raw vegetables is the best, don't even cook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Not sure if it's mentioned already (did a quick ctrl+f), but steam bags might suit too?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WWMTZ1Q/ref=sr_1_1/259-1646081-1296620?ie=UTF8&qid=1497279381&sr=8-1&keywords=microwave+steam+bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You can buy tubs of frozen veg in aldi that you just pop in microwave for 6 mins. You get 3 different ones with a vairtey of vegs.

Sam_Doyle wrote: »
    In any case, the microwave is not a good idea and everyone should get rid of it. Raw vegetables is the best, don't even cook

OK, I'll bite. Why is a microwave not a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

OK, I'll bite. Why is a microwave not a good idea?

Rumour mill I'm assuming.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stark wrote: »
    Not as nice as other methods of cooking them (they don't always cook evenly throughout) but works when you're in a hurry.
    Try them at lower power, loads of people only ever use the microwave on full power, but would never dream of having the hob on full all the time, or the oven on highest heat. People have it in their head that microwaves have to cook fast, like its their only function or something. If people insisted on using hobs or ovens on full power they would also get a bad name.

I would either boil the water you are using to steam, or microwave it on full until boiling, then add the veg and lower the power. You need to allow time for the heat to conduct through the veg. You do not really need specific microwave steamers, if you save tubs you can microwave in them with the lid cracked a little, the steam helps give more even heating.

If cooking frozen veg you can leave them in room temp water or warm water while your cooking water is boiling in the kettle/microwave. This will help defrost them. Ice/frozen stuff does not really absorb microwaves, liquid water readily absorbs it.

This is why if you try to defrost a burger you often will see a brown cooked bit while the rest is frozen. You might have touched it with your finger and defrosted a tiny bit, now all the microwaves focus on that wet spot and heat it up like crazy, this in turn defrosts the ring around it which also heats up, you have huge power going into a tiny spot while the rest is still frozen and not absorbing microwaves. Run a burger under the tape and it helps hugely.

Advertisement