Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear for 300km Ride with varying temperature

Options
  • 09-06-2017 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any advice on best clothing for a 300km next week? Our team has a start time of 01:04am. Weather can be pretty cold at that hour (was 5 degrees last year I'm told) but should warm up significantly (15 perhaps) by 6am. I'm thinking arm and leg warmers, shoe covers as my feet are always cold in low temp, a mesh sleeveless vest and club jersey over.  We are aiming for sub 9 hours so there's not much time for messing with clothes. No idea how to handle the hands. For sure at 1am I will need good gloves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Will you have anything in the way of support from a car or anything like that?

My advice would be to keep it modular; base layer, short sleeve and shorts as your core items and you can build it up from there. Start off with arm warmers and a light packable rain jacket, I'd probably go with knee warmers over leg warmers myself, light long finger gloves if you get cold hands. Then you can strip off as you/the temps warm up.

That's my 2c anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is this in Ireland?

I think you're on the right track. Layers and lots of stuff you can easily take on and off on the bike like arm warmers, leg warmers, gilet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Hi,
    Any advice on best clothing for a 300km next week? Our team has a start time of 01:04am. Weather can be pretty cold at that hour (was 5 degrees last year I'm told) but should warm up significantly (15 perhaps) by 6am. I'm thinking arm and leg warmers, shoe covers as my feet are always cold in low temp, a mesh sleeveless vest and club jersey over. We are aiming for sub 9 hours so there's not much time for messing with clothes. No idea how to handle the hands. For sure at 1am I will need good gloves

Average speed of 33km/h:eek:

Keeping cool may be your problem with that kind of speed and effort.

But good advice from Miklos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Given time frame do what Miklos says.

If in Ireland don't be so sure of 15C at 6am. I've started a couple of 300s in summer well below 10C at 6am

Given your speed start a little cool and you won't be cool for long, light gilet maybe with summer gear.

If you get it right shouldnt be much need for sheding clothing at all.

For next year cold adapt, it involves some unpleasantness but makes one more adaptable for this type of thermal challenge.

Best of luck with event

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Average speed of 33km/h:eek:....
    And that's without stopping?

Factor in a few food stops and it will require an even higher average.:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Not much danger of overheating in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you can, try a Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain jacket. It's incredibly versatile. Super light, but will keep you warm and squishes up real small. It's fairly breathable too and good in a light shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

I was on the bike at 6.30am this morning and it was nothing like 15C!
    As suggested, shorts, base-layer, jersey, arm and knee warmers. I would also probably start with a gilet or even a light jacket if I had someone to give it to when it got too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Vatternrundan, I'm guessing?

Advice above is fairly solid but my 2 cents - if you are driving for a quick time and want to minimise the amount of faffing and aren't opposed to wastage on cost or environmental grounds, consider very cheap arm / knee warmers / gloves / oversocks and bin them when you get hot if you can't carry them home.
    However, as you are expecting to start at 1 am and be done by 10am, you might be overestimating how warm you'll feel by the finish, particularly if you aren't used to riding through the night. Not unusual to suffer from the "long dark teatime of the soul" around 5 or 6 am and feel colder than you'd expect. Add in a cooler-than-usual day or a bit or drizzle and you'll glad of the extra kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Vatternrundan, I'm guessing?

Put a team together for next year; KOS, DC, JC (UK version), JC(West cork version), JL and the two of us swing off the back for 299km?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

ford2600 wrote: »
    the two of us swing off the back for 299km?

"I'm not swinging off the back - I'm sitting-in for the gallop"

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Yes it was Vätternrundan. Weather was fantastic, best in years so I finished with 8:49. We had a 1:02am start time and it was 14 degrees. I had a mesh base layer and short bibs, long gloves. No shoe covers. It worked out perfect. Thanks for all the advice guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes it was V?tternrundan. Weather was fantastic, best in years so I finished with 8:49. We had a 1:02am start time and it was 14 degrees. I had a mesh base layer and short bibs, long gloves. No shoe covers. It worked out perfect. Thanks for all the advice guys.

7hrs 47min

Thats about an average of 38.5km/hr.

Mental stuff, well done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read 8:49 as the time taken, not the finishing time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i read 8:49 as the time taken, not the finishing time.

It is too early in the morning to be reading numbers, still an average of close to 35kmph, hugely impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Fantastic effort, well done!

Advertisement