Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portumna Forest Run 2017

Options
  • 09-06-2017 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Surprised there's no current thread on this.

Heading up to run the 100k myself, hope to go sub-10, but will be happy to just finish in my first ultra.

Was going to camp out, but given tonight's forecast I'll drive up in the morning, so 4 o'clock start for me.

Looks like it will be fairly warm and humid, hopefully the trail dries out after the rain.

Any other boardsies taking part?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Best of luck with the 100k, im doing the half marathon, had booked to do the May event but was postponed to tomorrows event. Really looking forward to it, have heard so many good things about the race itself.Weather looks humid but to drop as the day goes on. They have put the start of the half back to 10am instead of 9am now, probably to make the route less congested with the 5k and 10k going on too..

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

how did you get on Jakey? i did the 50, really enjoyed it until my legs seized up, found it very humid all morning and when the sun came out i was glad i only had about 10k to go, must have been tough going as it got warmer for you mad lunatic 100krs, hats off to anyone who did the 100, ill stick to 50's for a while:)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Pmaldini wrote:
    how did you get on Jakey? i did the 50, really enjoyed it until my legs seized up, found it very humid all morning and when the sun came out i was glad i only had about 10k to go, must have been tough going as it got warmer for you mad lunatic 100krs, hats off to anyone who did the 100, ill stick to 50's for a while

Ran a comfortable 9hr pace up until 60k, then died a death! Lots of walking from there on, with some burst of shuffling and even the odd km at race pace. Finished the last lap strongly to finish in 10:37.

Yep, hot at times and windy around the marina. Had to put on my undershirt though for about 25km when my pace slowed.

While it was good to have the company of the 5/10k and half marathons, it was congested at times and had to call for groups of slower runners to move over more often than I would have liked.

Very well organised overall, will be back for one of the shorter races.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Well done guys, hats off to both of you. Must have been really tough in that humidity and heat. Was my first time on the course and really enjoyed it. Thinking I might return next year for the 50k, was hard to enjoy the atmosphere while pushing it for the half. Would much prefer to slow it right down and not worry about pace, just enjoy the buzz. Actually found the loops a help, thought it would be boring but was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Well done guys, hats off to both of you. Must have been really tough in that humidity and heat. Was my first time on the course and really enjoyed it. Thinking I might return next year for the 50k, was hard to enjoy the atmosphere while pushing it for the half. Would much prefer to slow it right down and not worry about pace, just enjoy the buzz. Actually found the loops a help, thought it would be boring but was ok.

I actually enjoy the loops too, did the half last year and wanted to try the longer race this year, I'll be back next year for the 50 again, not sure I'm ready to jump to 100!! The last 5k for me were tough, calves cramped very badly so had to hobble home, I'm blaming the humidity:D

• Advertisement

Pmaldini wrote: »
    I actually enjoy the loops too, did the half last year and wanted to try the longer race this year, I'll be back next year for the 50 again, not sure I'm ready to jump to 100!! The last 5k for me were tough, calves cramped very badly so had to hobble home, I'm blaming the humidity:D

The humidity was a killer, wasn't a day for a pb that's for sure. Loved the vibe around the finish area, it was really relaxed and with the loops it's great passing it every 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 G1raff3

Very well organised event and a nice course too. Done the 50k and also found it very humid, sweating buckets from the 2nd lap on.. That final stretch before the start/finish seemed to get longer each lap!

Advertisement