Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identification help please!

Options
  • 09-06-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Anyone know what this is?
    It's like a trailing ground cover covering a raised flower bed outside my house.
    I thought it might be nice in hanging planters inside but I've no idea what it is.
    It kind of looks like a Jade/money tree plant but with long stalks?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

raemie10 wrote: »
    Anyone know what this is?
    It's like a trailing ground cover covering a raised flower bed outside my house.
    I thought it might be nice in hanging planters inside but I've no idea what it is.
    It kind of looks like a Jade/money tree plant but with long stalks?!

It looks like golden creeping jenny, Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

TAZ32 wrote: »
    It looks like golden creeping jenny, Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'.

Thanks. It does look similar but also quite different. Just googled lots of images and mine isn't near as green, more brown!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a form of sedum (stonecrop) possibly Sedum hybridum 'Immergrunchen'

looksee wrote: »

THANK YOU!!!
    That's it! http://mountaincrestgardens.com/sedum-hybridum-immergrunchen/

I moved into a house that looks like it was once home to an insanely beautiful garden but everything's so overgrown, I don't know what half of everything is!

raemie10 wrote: »
    THANK YOU!!!
    That's it! http://mountaincrestgardens.com/sedum-hybridum-immergrunchen/

I moved into a house that looks like it was once home to an insanely beautiful garden but everything's so overgrown, I don't know what half of everything is!

Perchance do you know what the below is either?!
    The second one has really sticky stems and seems to choke other plants!

• Advertisement

If anyone likes this, it seems to be very hardy and would travel well. I can post if anyone wants some :)

Never mind the ivy looking one. An app where I uploaded that pic just got back with an answer - https://www.penlanperennials.co.uk/plant/pond-and-bog-plants/houttuynia-cordata-chameleon/

I cannot open the pic for the sticky stem one, but it seems more than likely it is a pestiferous weed called variously cleavers, goosegrass, stickyback and numerous other names. Wear some good gloves and pull it out by armfulls! The theory is that you can use weedkiller on it, but it is sometimes hard to separate it from the plants and my experience is that if you continually pull it up it gets fed up and goes away. Mostly.

I cannot open the pic for the sticky stem one, but it seems more than likely it is a pestiferous weed called variously cleavers, goosegrass, stickyback and numerous other names. Wear some good gloves and pull it out by armfulls! The theory is that you can use weedkiller on it, but it is sometimes hard to separate it from the plants and my experience is that if you continually pull it up it gets fed up and goes away. Mostly.

That's it! Thanks again. I loathe weed killer so will be donning the gloves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Any chance I could jump on the bandwagon and ask does anyone know what this is?
    It has berries and I want to know if they're toxic for children.

• Advertisement

It is a Mahonia and the berries are not poisonous, though not a good idea to eat them. Children should be taught not to eat berries unless they are told they are ok by an adult, as too many of them are toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

It is a Mahonia and the berries are not poisonous, though not a good idea to eat them. Children should be taught not to eat berries unless they are told they are ok by an adult, as too many of them are toxic.

Thanks very much Looksee. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sometimes called the "Oregon Grape" but not a grape, obviously, although as @looksee pointed out, these berries are not poisonous and are eaten by some (not recommended)

The main beauty of the Mahonia is the sweet-smelling trails of flower in the dead of winter, dropping delicious fragrance into the cold air.

Advertisement