Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown shrimp

Options
  • 09-06-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of cooking unshelled brown shrimp around ireland?

When bait collecting for sea fishing I come across a lot of these and they would make a nice side for cooked fish. The ones we catch are small , around an inch and a half to 2 inches.

I know they are peeled and cooked in potted shrimp in the UK but dont want to go through the labour of shelling them as they are so small.

So my main question, is it possible to just deep fry them and eat whole, or with the heads off perhaps? I enjoy the crunch of shell on prawns so dont mind that but wanted to check there was no issue with eating the small digestive tract. Assume there isnt. Wikipedia seems to suggest whole shrimp are eaten in belgium and I have had a similar species in Italy etc but just wanted to check. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crangon_crangon

Will be collecting them from clean atlantic waters.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You can eat the shell and tail of most standard-sized prawns, no problem. Just bite below the head (which you discard). So any smaller should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

You can eat the shell and tail of most standard-sized prawns, no problem. Just bite below the head (which you discard). So any smaller should be fine.

Great will try it with heads off and shells on

Advertisement