Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a new business idea - would like feedback from some of the experienced folks

Options
  • 09-06-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for the ramble:

A number of years ago I posted a thread on this very forum. It was my idea for an 'explainer video' production website. I received some savage feedback and loads of ideas and criticism from business owners who actually know what it means to run an SME in Ireland.

On the back of that the site went on to do quite well. I was still in a Business degree at the time (2014). I wound up having to teach myself motion graphic software, video production, web design and more. After some traction on Reddit I had quite a few hair-raising moments where the site made more in a weekend than I'd make in two or three months in my retail job.

It eventually wound down due to the market changing and me having to finish my degree, thesis etc... But I was very grateful to those who originally helped out on here.

After I finished my BA I got a 'real job' etc... I hated it after six months. The 'new' challenge was gone and I was essentially an office worker with only middle management to look forward to. I spent my weekends playing with Wordpress sites and ideas. I saved up while teaching myself basic programming (Javascript mostly) and quit my job.

I went back to college and did a one year ICT converstion (Computer Science) course. Undoubtedly the worst year of my life. Not because of the course. Because of being constantly broke, stressed and watching my peers collect decent salaries and the live single graduate lifestyle that comes along with it. Anyone whose ever stepped 'backwards' on the career ladder and back into education will know what I mean.

Anyways. Finished top of my class. Actually re-did the video site as my final project and automated some of it. It was cool. Got a paid internship. Remained at the company for a year. Left to do freelance work (while retaining previous employer as a client) and set up an Ltd for these gigs. Since then I've been working on systems for companies in finance and the eHealth fields (mostly Python, Java for Android and Angular for web apps if any devs are reading).

My Idea
    Anyways. Backstory over. I've recently wanted to build specialized 'off-the-shelf' systems for small niche industries that are 'behind' on tech. Most of these industries get by with Wordpress websites.

My first 'test' is going to be a website and backend system for vehicle recovery companies which takes a customers GPS location when they request a truck.

Flow would be:
    Customer breaks down and pulls out smartphone to get a tow truck -> Goes onto website via Google Search -> Presses 'Request a Tow Truck' button -> Fills out basic form (name, number, vehicle type) and hits 'Submit' -> Their GPS location is also requested at this time and they accept (pretty standard "Chrome would like to know your location" request these days)

At this point, three things happen in the space of a few seconds:
    -> SMS goes to customer to assure them their request has been received
    -> SMS goes to Tow Truck driver/company alerting them a new job has come in
    -> Email goes to driver/company with customer details and a Google Maps link. Details also available on site admin panel.

Research so far:
    Yesterday I rang ten tow truck companies around the country and spoke to the owners. All were very receptive to the call but a common theme was not knowing much about IT. Some do compete heavily on Adwords (it's crucial to be on page 1 results to get any work in that industry it seems).

Barriers to Sales identified:
    -> Many expressed the view that they 'already have a website - 'tis grand as it is'
    -> Others don't invest in Google/online at all and are happy with contract work, garage work, work off local Garda station etc...
    -> Don't understand GPS, system, Internet etc...
    -> Interested but reluctant to make a purchase/part with cash (understandable, I guess)

Common Business Problems Identified:
    -> Many drivers said they often struggle to actually locate a customer on the road. They're often lost, in an unfamiliar area, no major landmarks etc...
    -> Lots of people actually ring multiple tow trucks and make them 'race' to them :eek:. It'd be like ordering three taxis to your house and jumping in the first one that arrives. :confused:
    -> Missing phone calls and hence the job. I was surprised to see how these guys operate. Often the sole traders run 24/7. If the phone rings at 3am they're out of bed and into the truck. These are also usually the guys pushing hard on Google too.

Something else I picked up on is that they're all mad for their trucks. They love posting pictures, looking for new trucks on Done Deal all the time, bragging a little etc... Some even give them names :p So I think a fleet gallery on the site would be a good idea.

My Plan:
    Yesterday I kind of realised cold calling will only get me so far. I'm essentially a bloke with a fuzzy idea calling some very busy small business owners. I know I'll also struggle to actually bag sales. I'm not a natural sales person although I have no problem meeting/calling people etc... it's just not something I particularly relish spending my time doing.

Step 1: Validate
    I'm going to make a basic marketing site, video and product description over the weekend. I haven't the time to drive traffic to a landing page organically. Nor is there much online buzz to be made about vehicle recovery. So I'm going to outsource sales calls to an agency and have them pitch, explain and gauge interest. I'd like some form of qualification here too - a definite 'I'm very interested' or a 'Nope, not for us'. This should build a decent list of prospects I think

Step 2: Build Prototype:
    I could easily build this system in a week. Maybe a little more if I have to divert attention to my other work which happens sometimes on short notice. I have a base Content Management System that I use anyways for my personal projects.

Step 3: Launch Demo site and Recruit Guinea Pig
    Maybe guinea pig isn't the right phrase. Beta Tester perhaps :P Maybe offer a site for free or heavily discounted to one of the top Google adwords buyers. Let it run for a month and make any changes needed.

Step 4: Selling
    This is my main problem (I think). It's convincing a small business to part with X amount of cash for a new website/system. Even if they see the value in it I know small businesses are often trying to keep their head above water for next week, not looking at potential value generated over 6 months. Any thoughts or ideas about selling this kind of thing to small businesses?

Additionally, any ideas or feedback or holes you see in my system/approach/idea would be much appreciated. :)

Cheers Guys,
    Dean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Fukuyama wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for the ramble:

A number of years ago I posted a thread on this very forum. It was my idea for an 'explainer video' production website. I received some savage feedback and loads of ideas and criticism from business owners who actually know what it means to run an SME in Ireland.

On the back of that the site went on to do quite well. I was still in a Business degree at the time (2014). I wound up having to teach myself motion graphic software, video production, web design and more. After some traction on Reddit I had quite a few hair-raising moments where the site made more in a weekend than I'd make in two or three months in my retail job.

It eventually wound down due to the market changing and me having to finish my degree, thesis etc... But I was very grateful to those who originally helped out on here.

After I finished my BA I got a 'real job' etc... I hated it after six months. The 'new' challenge was gone and I was essentially an office worker with only middle management to look forward to. I spent my weekends playing with Wordpress sites and ideas. I saved up while teaching myself basic programming (Javascript mostly) and quit my job.

I went back to college and did a one year ICT converstion (Computer Science) course. Undoubtedly the worst year of my life. Not because of the course. Because of being constantly broke, stressed and watching my peers collect decent salaries and the live single graduate lifestyle that comes along with it. Anyone whose ever stepped 'backwards' on the career ladder and back into education will know what I mean.

Anyways. Finished top of my class. Actually re-did the video site as my final project and automated some of it. It was cool. Got a paid internship. Remained at the company for a year. Left to do freelance work (while retaining previous employer as a client) and set up an Ltd for these gigs. Since then I've been working on systems for companies in finance and the eHealth fields (mostly Python, Java for Android and Angular for web apps if any devs are reading).

My Idea
    Anyways. Backstory over. I've recently wanted to build specialized 'off-the-shelf' systems for small niche industries that are 'behind' on tech. Most of these industries get by with Wordpress websites.

My first 'test' is going to be a website and backend system for vehicle recovery companies which takes a customers GPS location when they request a truck.

Flow would be:
    Customer breaks down and pulls out smartphone to get a tow truck -> Goes onto website via Google Search -> Presses 'Request a Tow Truck' button -> Fills out basic form (name, number, vehicle type) and hits 'Submit' -> Their GPS location is also requested at this time and they accept (pretty standard "Chrome would like to know your location" request these days)

At this point, three things happen in the space of a few seconds:
    -> SMS goes to customer to assure them their request has been received
    -> SMS goes to Tow Truck driver/company alerting them a new job has come in
    -> Email goes to driver/company with customer details and a Google Maps link. Details also available on site admin panel.

Research so far:
    Yesterday I rang ten tow truck companies around the country and spoke to the owners. All were very receptive to the call but a common theme was not knowing much about IT. Some do compete heavily on Adwords (it's crucial to be on page 1 results to get any work in that industry it seems).

Barriers to Sales identified:
    -> Many expressed the view that they 'already have a website - 'tis grand as it is'
    -> Others don't invest in Google/online at all and are happy with contract work, garage work, work off local Garda station etc...
    -> Don't understand GPS, system, Internet etc...
    -> Interested but reluctant to make a purchase/part with cash (understandable, I guess)

Common Business Problems Identified:
    -> Many drivers said they often struggle to actually locate a customer on the road. They're often lost, in an unfamiliar area, no major landmarks etc...
    -> Lots of people actually ring multiple tow trucks and make them 'race' to them :eek:. It'd be like ordering three taxis to your house and jumping in the first one that arrives. :confused:
    -> Missing phone calls and hence the job. I was surprised to see how these guys operate. Often the sole traders run 24/7. If the phone rings at 3am they're out of bed and into the truck. These are also usually the guys pushing hard on Google too.

Something else I picked up on is that they're all mad for their trucks. They love posting pictures, looking for new trucks on Done Deal all the time, bragging a little etc... Some even give them names :p So I think a fleet gallery on the site would be a good idea.

My Plan:
    Yesterday I kind of realised cold calling will only get me so far. I'm essentially a bloke with a fuzzy idea calling some very busy small business owners. I know I'll also struggle to actually bag sales. I'm not a natural sales person although I have no problem meeting/calling people etc... it's just not something I particularly relish spending my time doing.

Step 1: Validate
    I'm going to make a basic marketing site, video and product description over the weekend. I haven't the time to drive traffic to a landing page organically. Nor is there much online buzz to be made about vehicle recovery. So I'm going to outsource sales calls to an agency and have them pitch, explain and gauge interest. I'd like some form of qualification here too - a definite 'I'm very interested' or a 'Nope, not for us'. This should build a decent list of prospects I think

Step 2: Build Prototype:
    I could easily build this system in a week. Maybe a little more if I have to divert attention to my other work which happens sometimes on short notice. I have a base Content Management System that I use anyways for my personal projects.

Step 3: Launch Demo site and Recruit Guinea Pig
    Maybe guinea pig isn't the right phrase. Beta Tester perhaps :P Maybe offer a site for free or heavily discounted to one of the top Google adwords buyers. Let it run for a month and make any changes needed.

Step 4: Selling
    This is my main problem (I think). It's convincing a small business to part with X amount of cash for a new website/system. Even if they see the value in it I know small businesses are often trying to keep their head above water for next week, not looking at potential value generated over 6 months. Any thoughts or ideas about selling this kind of thing to small businesses?

Additionally, any ideas or feedback or holes you see in my system/approach/idea would be much appreciated. :)

Cheers Guys,
    Dean

Congrats on graduating top of your class - that's no mean feat.

With these ideas and many others, it's actually all about the sales and marketing, not the tech or even the idea itself.

So I see a potential flaw or challenge here:

Customer breaks down and pulls out smartphone to get a tow truck -> Goes onto website via Google Search ->

How do you plan on getting traffic to your website in the first place? If you use AdWords, you will be competing with some of the very companies you are hoping to attract.

Ultimately for something like this to succeed, you will be betting on the tow truck guys being willing to pay you more for leads than you spend on sales and marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The flaws

1 - cars don't break down as often as they used to.

2 - Most people have breakdown cover either as a direct member of the AA or via their insurance or if they have business credit cards, as part of that package.

3 - Considering #2 above, your target market is very small and then you ahve to get this small number not to know someone who will come to their aid, find your website and know how to do everything and not to seach for a local tow guy they can ring and talk to.

Good idea, but I can't see a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

Could you tailor it to insurance companies who use a call centre for their breakdown service?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Good idea and I considered it myself before. Few things I learned:
    • The likes of the AA and similar have extensive integration now for breakdown. Its all built into their own App. Their AA App delivers me their breakdown service along with a host of extras like route planning and rewards. I'm fairly sure AXA and some others are not far behind. Its like Uber, you can even see the van coming towards you. I also note they have branched into 'Home Rescue' and repairs, that to me would indicate the breakdown industry for cars is declining as they are diversifying.
    • Mechanics in Ireland are very low tech for the most part. A lot of them who have breakdown trucks are connected to the larger insurance players who all centralise their breakdown and accident recovery to a single point of contact (MAPPA? Or something like that?) Look at the likes of Kellys in Kilmacanogue, a massive firm with deals with the M50 and the Gardai. The smaller guys are low tech, they get a text or a call and go out to collect the client. The payout is fixed, they rarely if ever respond to a random person. Its always via the insurance company as if they don't, they can loose the call the next time e.g. Too many missed calls and they stop calling you. Hence its in their interest for a person to ring their insurer and for the insurer to ring them to collect them. Guaranteed payment.
    • You would be dependent on someone using your App versus calling their insurer. Which would be the first response of most people, remembering nearly every decent policy has breakdown assist and most people are clueless of cars. Yes, you'll have those that will want a local guy to come pick them up but your market will be tiny and no garage will entertain you for subscription without solid 'sales' figures which will take a small fortune in advertising to ascertain.
    johntune wrote: »
    Could you tailor it to insurance companies who use a call centre for their breakdown service?

As above, this already exists and is centralised / outsourced for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I just want to clear up that my idea is not to build a centralized tow truck website (like Uber for tow trucks or something). Rather build a website package and sell it repeatedly to tow truck companies.

So XYZ Tow Trucks Ltd might show interest and I would customize the system for them and host it for them under their domain, xyzrecovery.ie or whatever.

Dean

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    The flaws

2 - Most people have breakdown cover either as a direct member of the AA or via their insurance or if they have business credit cards, as part of that package.

Good idea, but I can't see a market for it.

This is more an issue for the tow truck companies. They currently have websites and the ones I spoke to all seem pretty busy from direct call outs. I would have thought the AA, AXA etc... had the market sown up but it doesn't seem to be the case. However, the market does seem quite diversified and maybe my solution isn't a good fit.
    johntune wrote: »

I think tha'd be too much work. I also imagine they already have their own systems
    ironclaw wrote: »
    Good idea and I considered it myself before. Few things I learned:
    • The likes of the AA and similar have extensive integration now for breakdown. Its all built into their own App. Their AA App delivers me their breakdown service along with a host of extras like route planning and rewards. I'm fairly sure AXA and some others are not far behind. Its like Uber, you can even see the van coming towards you. I also note they have branched into 'Home Rescue' and repairs, that to me would indicate the breakdown industry for cars is declining as they are diversifying.
    • Mechanics in Ireland are very low tech for the most part. A lot of them who have breakdown trucks are connected to the larger insurance players who all centralise their breakdown and accident recovery to a single point of contact (MAPPA? Or something like that?) Look at the likes of Kellys in Kilmacanogue, a massive firm with deals with the M50 and the Gardai. The smaller guys are low tech, they get a text or a call and go out to collect the client. The payout is fixed, they rarely if ever respond to a random person. Its always via the insurance company as if they don't, they can loose the call the next time e.g. Too many missed calls and they stop calling you. Hence its in their interest for a person to ring their insurer and for the insurer to ring them to collect them. Guaranteed payment.
    • You would be dependent on someone using your App versus calling their insurer. Which would be the first response of most people, remembering nearly every decent policy has breakdown assist and most people are clueless of cars. Yes, you'll have those that will want a local guy to come pick them up but your market will be tiny and no garage will entertain you for subscription without solid 'sales' figures which will take a small fortune in advertising to ascertain.

I agree with all your points. Particularly the 'low tech' one. It might be one of those problems where people just prefer to make phone calls. Mechanics/recovery industry is also pretty stuck in its ways outside of the big brand names.

My main idea is basically to build websites for companies which solve very industry-specific problems. These problems are very hard to solve with a Wordpress website and a handful of plugins. The problem arises when I try to find industries that would be receptive to having such websites.

I'm trying to figure out how I could sell websites to SMEs which go a step beyond the usual ecommerce 'add to cart' solution and actually help their business processes.

I could even frame this as a more general marketing question as to how I should approach medium-sized businesses with this kind of product or service... As I said I have lots of ideas for web-based systems which could solve business problems. I'm in no way married to the vehicle recovery industry. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

As said by other posters you are competing against insurance companies and the AA as towing and roadside assistance is often included

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This really is a sales issue.

You have to quantify just how many rescue truck operators are taking direct calls from stranded customers who found them via Google. Then you've got to make an informed call on how many of them are doing the volume that would merit a system upgrade.

If what you say about Google Adwords is right, then there can't be more than a handful of companies in the mix - especially if users almost always search via a smaller smartphone screen.

The alternative model signing up and integrating into your business as many operators as you can, and then fight for Google space in your own right, has more potential business. Google is a bitch though - and rife with rivals clicking on your ads until your daily budget is gone. It's very easy to haemorrhage cash.

Lastly be wary of enthusiastic responses from potential customers. A good proportion of people will just say nice things but have no intention of putting their money where their mouth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many of these small operators have teh capacity to deal with an increase in business? You are proposing to change how their get their jobs. But what's the benefit for them - they're already getting enough jobs to get by (or they wouldn't be able to afford your package).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I just want to clear up that my idea is not to build a centralized tow truck website (like Uber for tow trucks or something). Rather build a website package and sell it repeatedly to tow truck companies.

So XYZ Tow Trucks Ltd might show interest and I would customize the system for them and host it for them under their domain, xyzrecovery.ie or whatever.

Dean

Sounds like a great idea but a small market.

Why not do this for small taxi companies? Uber, mytaxi etc are great but outside the major cities they are non-existent. A taxi office in Carlow, portlaoise, naas and other towns of this size might be interested in your platform

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    This really is a sales issue.

You have to quantify just how many rescue truck operators are taking direct calls from stranded customers who found them via Google. Then you've got to make an informed call on how many of them are doing the volume that would merit a system upgrade.

If what you say about Google Adwords is right, then there can't be more than a handful of companies in the mix - especially if users almost always search via a smaller smartphone screen.

The alternative model signing up and integrating into your business as many operators as you can, and then fight for Google space in your own right, has more potential business. Google is a bitch though - and rife with rivals clicking on your ads until your daily budget is gone. It's very easy to haemorrhage cash.

Lastly be wary of enthusiastic responses from potential customers. A good proportion of people will just say nice things but have no intention of putting their money where their mouth is.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The two truck business might indeed be a bad market to target for the reasons you pointed out, but your last post I think hits home.

I've often gotten emails and genuine interest from small business owners. Often they'd actually contact me first. Genuine interest, multiple phone calls, meetings and then they kick the can down the road once or twice and it becomes apparent that they've no intention of ever pulling the trigger. I've no idea how some people have the time to kick tyres like this when they're supposed to be running a business but anyhow...

I usually like having two or three 'serious' clients who know what they want and pull zero punches. I have that at present and it's great. But this idea of building website systems which I can sell multiple times as a form of near-passive income plagues me :D

However perhaps the kind of industries I was targeting just aren't a good fit and would be more trouble than they're worth anyhow.

But this idea of building website systems which I can sell multiple times as a form of near-passive income plagues me :D

However perhaps the kind of industries I was targeting just aren't a good fit and would be more trouble than they're worth anyhow.
    If you have the skill to build a system like that, great. There's no doubt an industry there in need of something similar... it's a matter of finding the right one with the big market. Keep thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Hi guys,

Dean

This is whats happening now for a lot of restaurants & takeaways, getting their own app/website instead of working through deliveroo and Just Eat etc

There are app companies offering this service, a template out of the box app that they just need to customise for abc takeaway or restaurant, the process is always the same.

I would think that if Des and Mary driving their 02-D Mondeo broke down outside Virginia in the lashing rain and they had a smartphone, they would search "break down service virginia" or "break down service cavan" looking for someone local instead of the AA

BUT the hit a big report button.. i just cant see them following that flow, they will be flustered, in a panic and will want to speak to someone immediately.

Its probably worth a sell, Volcano Insurance...but cant see anyone actually using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Buttercake wrote: »

BUT the hit a big report button.. i just cant see them following that flow, they will be flustered, in a panic and will want to speak to someone immediately.

This is a good UI/UX point to be honest. And thinking about it, I can see someone trying to get a fix quick answer over the phone or they may even know the problem (e.g. Battery flat) and want to convey that. Do you spend 5 mins tapping info into a form or call someone? You call someone.

I'd also remember that Apps and online ordering don't apply to every industry. I'm involved in a booking product and its incredible the amount of people who still want to call you. They have a question, they want their mind at ease about it and they won't book, no matter how many FAQs or otherwise your write, until they talk to someone. Some industries have normalised the online experience e.g. Food and taxis, as they simple and they have no real variables. Add in a few uncertainties or an activity someone doesn't do very often, and it all gets a little pear shaped pretty quick and your sales will dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I skimmed through this thread (it’s even more verbose than I am on a bad day!) and there iappears to be no mention of how to manage/generate an income stream. How will it pay? Forget the techy stuff! How can it be monetised? I think OP that you appear to have great tech skillsets but are ignoring the fundamental bit ....the bottom line.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'd also remember that Apps and online ordering don't apply to every industry. I'm involved in a booking product and its incredible the amount of people who still want to call you. They have a question, they want their mind at ease about it and they won't book, no matter how many FAQs or otherwise your write, until they talk to someone. Some industries have normalised the online experience e.g. Food and taxis, as they simple and they have no real variables. Add in a few uncertainties or an activity someone doesn't do very often, and it all gets a little pear shaped pretty quick and your sales will dive.
    100% agree with the idea that no matter how much easy, clear information you provide people with - a percentage of people will ALWAYS want to talk.

Depending on how much you value business you can either take calls, or hide your contact details behind a dozen clicks a la Ryanair.

A breakdown situation is one where people want reassurance from an actual person that they will be rescued.

I skimmed through this thread (it?s even more verbose than I am on a bad day!) and there iappears to be no mention of how to manage/generate an income stream. How will it pay? Forget the techy stuff! How can it be monetised? I think OP that you appear to have great tech skillsets but are ignoring the fundamental bit ....the bottom line.

True. I tend to do this - I get buried in the tech side and assume my cool system will print money for me.

I think I'm going to reassess this a little. I know there is money to be made in solving these problems but I think I need to target larger businesses/industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Dean you are a solution looking for a problem to solve. I was one of your first explainer customers, so I know you have great "go" in you. The real dough in towing is 120KPH zoned motorway breakdowns and as I understand it, only contracted operators can lift cars/vans/truck on these roads, juicy charges apply!

Your challenge is to find a nice problem to solve or the new niche to create. Either must have a clear ability to create a decent revenue stream.

Are you sure you have exhausted the explainer potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

True. I tend to do this - I get buried in the tech side and assume my cool system will print money for me.

I think I'm going to reassess this a little. I know there is money to be made in solving these problems but I think I need to target larger businesses/industries.

Have you heard of the lean startup? You might find it interesting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_startup

mrawkward wrote: »
    Dean you are a solution looking for a problem to solve. I was one of your first explainer customers, so I know you have great "go" in you. The real dough in towing is 120KPH zoned motorway breakdowns and as I understand it, only contracted operators can lift cars/vans/truck on these roads, juicy charges apply!

Your challenge is to find a nice problem to solve or the new niche to create. Either must have a clear ability to create a decent revenue stream.

Are you sure you have exhausted the explainer potential?

I think I'm going to find another problem to solve! :P The towing industry was just one example :). But I definitely need to think bigger.

The expainer videos started doing pretty good but I was soon swamped. Particularly when one or two clients shared it on Reddit which caused an influx of orders. My relatively 'manual' method of processing orders was overwhelmed.

It's actually what pushed me into software development. I was running VF off a Wordpress site and was getting used to hacking away at it. I wanted to build a system to automate much of the admin/order processing which I did for my final project in college.

The market soon became quite saturated with copycats and soon people doing it even better than me.

It still has potential. And I'm actively working on something which will offer a new level of service which none of the other competitors do. However it's very slow going - it involves Machine Learning which I'm kind of learning on the fly in order to build it :eek:

But for now my days are filled with regular old web development work and related project ideas :)

• Advertisement

Have you heard of the lean startup? You might find it interesting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_startup

I have and it's definitely a methodology I should embrace more often. I tend to go down the damn rabbit hole and wind up building massive systems for weeks on end without ever even showing a potential customer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Cheap/quick/easy website/social media platforms/hosters/designers/packages are common as muck... the worst bit is that they only appeal to people who want to spend the minimum...or better still nothing.

If you want to succeed, you must innovate to a sufficient degree that your offering stands out with a product delivered that is going to be both hard and expensive for others to emulate and make money!! Once you have it, you need to be able to sell..or it is worthless!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bubbleboy22

It sounds to me like a crm solution for transportation.. are you sure that this is something new and there is no similar solution? While crm systems records all calls, as well as track GPS locations and build route, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rainbow_beard

Maybe you could concentrate on fixing the problem of people ordering multiple tow-trucks. Imagine that after someone rang one company they get a text back immediately with a link to a map where they could see the progress of the truck (like how lyft, uber etc work). Wouldn't this make them less likely to call someone else? If you could convince these small businesses that such a service would reduce their missed call outs by a certain percentage they might be happy to provide you with some monthly recurring revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bubbleboy22

My Idea

To my mind, you are a little bit late, while there are already similar systems, I do not really know what the difference is between yours and for example this solution - https://www.bpmonline.com/transport which actually also provides back-end system for vehicle controlling with inbound customer service, where you can build your GPS route. You should probably make an investigation in this field and see if your business will be really original.

Advertisement