Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Street Tesco

Options
  • 09-06-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭

I heard on pretty good authority that Tesco, Paul Street is set to close.

While it's a pretty rubbish Tesco, I do think it would be a loss to the city centre. Also, I can't see any of the other businesses in there surviving without Tesco or a replacement tenant.

I'm not much of a fan of Tesco but I think this is a setback for the city centre, just as things seemed to be getting better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it's a kip of a place, the entire premises. Close it up, re-develop it and call it progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

While it's a pretty rubbish Tesco, I do think it would be a loss to the city centre. Also, I can't see any of the other businesses in there surviving without Tesco or a replacement tenant.

I'm not much of a fan of Tesco but I think this is a setback for the city centre, just as things seemed to be getting better.

Not doubting your source, but I'd be very surprised - always seems fairly busy in there although I did hear that Lidl had hurt Paul Street when they opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

We'd have done most of our shopping in there when we lived in town. That was over three years ago now. I can imagine our spend in Tesco being a fraction of what it was, had we access to a local Lidl. Having said that it always seems busy when I pass.

I agree on the "feel" of the store. It's a bit grim - although it's positively Harrods like compared to the former Dunnes North Main St. It's just that it always struck me as if it was half way through a redevelopment. It just looks unfinished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Do not see it closing down at all.

That store is always so so busy i have never seen it quite.

Also Tesco would not give up a prime city centre supermarket ;).

They keep Polebary open in waterford city so another supermarket will not take it as a prime city centre location for a super market people will trow them selfs at it ;).

As Dunnes in north main will have been rented if it wasn't for Dunnes owning the place and not wonting anyone in there

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Very hard to imagine it will actually close. Maybe a redevelopment? It definitely needs it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I can't imagine it closing. It's always very busy. They could do with doing it up though. Bit of a kip alright!

I liked the Dunnes on North Main Street! Mainly because it was so quiet so I was able to do my shopping quicker :o

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

I have a friend managing in there this is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zico ! wrote: »
    I have a friend managing in there this is rubbish

Despite the obnoxious post, I hope you are right but I don't believe so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Despite the obnoxious post, I hope you are right but I don't believe so.
    What is obnoxious about the post? If you are incorrect, then the poster is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Dunnes don't own north main street

• Advertisement

What is obnoxious about the post? If you are incorrect, then the poster is right.

Just saying someone else's post is rubbish is rude and unnecessary.
    They could have stated that they don't believe it to be true in any number of ways but, imo, how they said it was obnoxious. And if they turn out to be wrong, well then it's obnoxious and wrong!

What's it to you, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

They didn't just say it was rubbish. They stated they have someone managing there and the rumor of it closing was rubbish.
    If you are proving incorrect information, then that is totally unnecessary. Getting called out on it, and then calling someone obnoxious is being rude.
    This is a public forum I believe. Take it offline if you have a problem with people adding to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

As others said I cannot see Tesco leaving a City Centre place with parking access. The store itself could do with a refit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

goochy wrote: »
    Dunnes don't own north main street

They own the unit in which they occupied on North Main Street, i was in there earlier this week and there were workers in there, all that is left of that 'shopping centre' is day break and the chemist, which can both operate independently of that kip.

As for Tesco, i'm an ex Tesco employee, i still keep in touch, this is news to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

They could have stated that they don't believe it to be true in any number of ways but, imo, how they said it was obnoxious. And if they turn out to be wrong, well then it's obnoxious and wrong!

Mother. Of. Sweet. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Give it up beer revolu... Asking people to have manners and common decency on the Internet is a fools errand.

Ludo wrote: »
    Give it up beer revolu... Asking people to have manners and common decency on the Internet is a fools errand.

You're right.
    May as well go on the langer's forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

I thought north main street was bought a couple of years ago by dublin company ? Maybe if Tesco moved there and offered free customer parking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

goochy wrote: »
    I thought north main street was bought a couple of years ago by dublin company ? Maybe if Tesco moved there and offered free customer parking

Any retailer moving into that unit in its current state would need their head checked. Horrible, horrible kip of a "shopping centre".

By chance I was in Paul st Tesco today and it was madly busy....id be very surprised I'd they'd close it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I certainly hope they don't. Living in the center with no car it's limited what's practical and I'm not as convinced by the great Lidl as many others seem to be. Good instore bakery though!

nerwen wrote: »
    I certainly hope they don't. Living in the center with no car it's limited what's practical and I'm not as convinced by the great Lidl as many others seem to be. Good instore bakery though!

I was in Lidl today as well, airport style fabric barriers but only three staff on....huge queues does nothing for me either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

By chance I was in Paul st Tesco today and it was madly busy....id be very surprised I'd they'd close it

Yeah it's always packed whenever I go in there.

I think the issue is that they're not getting the full trolley shoppers. It's busy but it's all small spends.
    As I've said, I hope I'm wrong but the source seems pretty reliable.
    Bad form if it is true and essentially public knowledge while the staff are oblivious.

I think the issue is that they're not getting the full trolley shoppers. It's busy but it's all small spends.
    As I've said, I hope I'm wrong but the source seems pretty reliable.
    Bad form if it is true and essentially public knowledge while the staff are oblivious.

Hit the nail on the head there i reckon, now i think of it, i can't remember the last time i seen someone with a full trolley of shopping in there.

Lots of small baskets yes.

KC161 wrote: »
    Hit the nail on the head there i reckon, now i think of it, i can't remember the last time i seen someone with a full trolley of shopping in there.

Lots of small baskets yes.

Can say the very same thing about Lidl in Town all small baskets ;).

There is money in that as well so don't worry ;).

I don't see the need to do a fully trolly shop at all in this day and age when you have super markets every wear I get what ever i need and go back in like 2 days and repeat you always have fresh food and notting sitting around.

Can say the very same thing about Lidl in Town all small baskets ;).

There is money in that as well so don't worry ;).

I don't see the need to do a fully trolly shop at all in this day and age when you have super markets every wear I get what ever i need and go back in like 2 days and repeat you always have fresh food and notting sitting around.

Can't say i frequent Lidl in Cornmarket street.

Twice ever i was i there and both work related occasions.

KC161 wrote: »
    Can't say i frequent Lidl in Cornmarket street.

Twice ever i was i there and both work related occasions.

I used to live about 2 secs away from Lidl there and i never seen people with a trolly in there always with baskets just like Tesco in Paul St. As really where are you going to park the car for Lidl in Corn market St if you are getting a Trolly ?.

I suspect that the business model for that Lidl allows for the small basket shopper. The overheads and staffing levels are probably way, way lower than in Tesco. It's a much smaller footprint too.

• Advertisement

Lads, a quick one for ye, not too far away from Tesco/Lidl.

Can someone explain why they put a concrete island in the middle of the road heading from Batchelors Quay to Grenville place?

You now need to swing left and go around by the Mercy to get to Pat McDonnell paints.

Advertisement