Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't change address

Options
  • 09-06-2017 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

Moved in to a place in January, paying over market value for a less than nice rural house. After first week here I received around 15 letters, for a mixture of landlord, he's sons daughters brothers and sister. I asked for his address so I could post them to him and asked him to change he's address.
    He declined and decided to call for it. Long story short, he calls every two weeks looking for the post for all his family members.
    I told him two weeks ago that I was getting fed up of all this post so now he wants to build a little steel box outside so I can put all the post into every Saturday.

This may seem like a small inconvenience to some but it really annoys me, I feel I'm paying enough rent to enjoy a peacefull dwelling? We are not registered with the PRTB and I feel there must be a reason he flat out refused to change his address or give me his current address.

What can I do about this situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Write "not known at this address" on it and pop it in the nearest postbox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Sorry to hear this. It's very frustrating having to live with the landlord hovering around your home.

You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home. If noise from other tenants or neighbours is disturbing you, ask them to stop and also inform your landlord. If this does not work, you can make a formal complaint.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

I'd make a formal complaint to the RTB, and they can also judge the market value of the property.

Moved in to a place in January, paying over market value for a less than nice rural house. After first week here I received around 15 letters, for a mixture of landlord, he's sons daughters brothers and sister. I asked for his address so I could post them to him and asked him to change he's address.
    He declined and decided to call for it. Long story short, he calls every two weeks looking for the post for all his family members.
    I told him two weeks ago that I was getting fed up of all this post so now he wants to build a little steel box outside so I can put all the post into every Saturday.

This may seem like a small inconvenience to some but it really annoys me, I feel I'm paying enough rent to enjoy a peacefull dwelling? We are not registered with the PRTB and I feel there must be a reason he flat out refused to change his address or give me his current address.

What can I do about this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Write "not known at this address" on it and pop it in the nearest postbox.

I did just that over a month ago. "Not known at this address, return to sender" but they still keep flowing. About 10-15 letters a week. Car tax renewals, Revenue letters, bank statements.

All his family are moved around the country and world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Put one line through the name and address on the envelope. Write "not at this address", and pop them back into a post box.

gizmo81 wrote:
    You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home. If noise from other tenants or neighbours is disturbing you, ask them to stop and also inform your landlord. If this does not work, you can make a formal complaint.

gizmo81 wrote:
    I'd make a formal complaint to the RTB, and they can also judge the market value of the property.

It has nothing to do with noise. Happy here other than the post issue.

We are not registered with the RTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Burn them and if he asks about them just say you never saw it.

Burn them and if he asks about them just say you never saw it.

Isn't that illegal? I don't want to draw any trouble on myself and don't want to get evicted as I like the area and houses are scarce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

sKeith wrote: »
    Put one line through the name and address on the envelope. Write "not at this address", and pop them back into a post box.

Before taking the advice above I wonder could you talk to him, explain that you don't want this to continue and ask him to arrange that the local post office either redirects or keeps his post for him?

If he refuses then ... ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I did just that over a month ago. "Not known at this address, return to sender" but they still keep flowing. About 10-15 letters a week. Car tax renewals, Revenue letters, bank statements.

All his family are moved around the country and world.
    Try the nearest bin then or put them up the chimney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Peaceful and exclusive enjoyment is not just to do with noise.

It's up to you, I wouldn't have the landlord visiting my home every week.

He obviously has no understanding of the RTA 2004.

It has nothing to do with noise. Happy here other than the post issue.

We are not registered with the RTB.

C3PO wrote:
    Before taking the advice above I wonder could you talk to him, explain that you don't want this to continue and ask him to arrange that the local post office either redirects or keeps his post for him?

As stated in the OP , I said this to him after a few weeks. I said it again recently and now he wants to put a steel box outside that I put his post into.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why are you paying above market value? That doesn't make sense.

Re the mail it annoys the hell out of me too. We been in our house 15 months and the previous tenant pops up periodically to collect post. Never mind the fact that they can use these letters as 'proof' that they are living in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you know if the property has a mortgage against it. Sometimes landlords will pretend to be resident to protect a distressed property from the bank, if its their PPR its hard to recover. Just something to be aware of in case you find him to be evicted. You'll know if you get bank statements in the door.

Otherwise have a chat with the Postman himself and ask him not to deliver that mail.

C3PO wrote: »
    ask him to arrange that the local post office either redirects or keeps his post for him?
    Can you call to the post office and tell them that this chancer doesn't live at your address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

We used to get letters ever month for the previous tenants, they called ever so often for them (they moved a few doors down) We popped, "not known at address" and crossed out the address, popped them into the letter box, they've stopped coming now :) , I'd do the same in your case, if no mail comes it's not your fault

If it was only previous tennants id have no problem telling them straight up that I will bin any letters but this is the owner of the house and his family members. We are the first tennants to rent his former family home. He has two other rentals that I know of.

Some of the post for his brother is named to his haulage company, said brother hasn't lived here for 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Try the nearest bin then or put them up the chimney.

It's a fine up to 75k or up to 5 years in jail to interfere with someone's post.

Write addressee unknown and pop in post box.

I did that over a month ago with a revenue letter, they still flying in the door

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Do you know if the property has a mortgage against it. Sometimes landlords will pretend to be resident to protect a distressed property from the bank, if its their PPR its hard to recover. Just something to be aware of in case you find him to be evicted. You'll know if you get bank statements in the door.
    It's a red flag all right, along with the lack of RTB registration.

I don't think this house has a mortgage, I'm almost certain it doesn't as his father owned it originally so it's in the family 80 odd years.

I've never seen anyone receive so many revenue letters, especially named in the brothers haulage company. Maybe he's business is morgaged with this address or something crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Paying above market rent, not registered with the RTB and landlord is getting all his post at that address.

Stinks tbh and as a renter you shouldn't put up with that nonsense.

Wait until you've been there six months and then register yourself with the RTB. After six months have passed you have security of tenure and cannot be evicted except in accordance with the law.

Until then get a load of stickers printed up with "Unknown at this address" on them, stick them on whatever comes in the door, and then lash them in the nearest postbox whenever you go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It's a fine up to 75k or up to 5 years in jail to interfere with someone's post.

If you burn them there's no evidence :p

seamus wrote:
    Paying above market rent, not registered with the RTB and landlord is getting all his post at that address.

seamus wrote:
    Stinks tbh and as a renter you shouldn't put up with that nonsense.

seamus wrote:
    Wait until you've been there six months and then register yourself with the RTB. After six months have passed you have security of tenure and cannot be evicted except in accordance with the law.

seamus wrote:
    Until then get a load of stickers printed up with "Unknown at this address" on them, stick them on whatever comes in the door, and then lash them in the nearest postbox whenever you go out.

Thanks for that. Very helpfull. I'm just afraid to rock the boat and get evicted. I will wait untill the 6 months are up so.

We only got a 6 month lease, typed out on an a4 page 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Isn't that illegal? I don't want to draw any trouble on myself and don't want to get evicted as I like the area and houses are scarce.

Only if you admit you did it :)

Is there anyway I can find out if my landlord and the brothers haulage company are tax compliant or are up to some sort of trick? If I find this to be the case I would report it and move out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Looking into that would a) be none of your business as it has nothing to do with the letting of the property b) how would it help you? moving out wont help you as you said you like the property and there are few available in that rural area...just speak to landlord again and make it clear your dislike of his post coming to the house and if no joy, write return to sender until he gets the message.

Looking into that would a) be none of your business as it has nothing to do with the letting of the property
    Tax compliance is everyone's business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People have given tue solution.
    Just keep returning them "not known at this address", they will stop, just tell landlord they stopped coming.

Funny the difference, I hate having to call to tue rented property, had to bring a tradesman few months back and couldn't wait to get away. When they're there it's their house.

Advertisement