Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't change address

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Personal tax compliance is each individuals business..ensuring that every assessable person is tax compliant is Revenue's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Looking into that would a) be none of your business as it has nothing to do with the letting of the property b) how would it help you? moving out wont help you as you said you like the property and there are few available in that rural area...just speak to landlord again and make it clear your dislike of his post coming to the house and if no joy, write return to sender until he gets the message.

Of course it's my business! Would you be happy if your employer never paid a cent of income tax out of your wages yet paid you as if you were. I don't wish to aid tax avoidance if I can help it.

I've returned letters and spoke to the landlord, neither worked, that's why I'm here looking for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭paulpd

Personal tax compliance is each individuals business..ensuring that every assessable person is tax compliant is Revenue's business.

Then why do many businesses insist on evidence of tax clearance being issued before engaging with a potential supplier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Of course it's my business! Would you be happy if your employer never paid a cent of income tax out of your wages yet paid you as if you were. I don't wish to aid tax avoidance if I can help it.

I've returned letters and spoke to the landlord, neither worked, that's why I'm here looking for advice.

Patience, you admitted that you have not been there even 6 months yet. It can take a few months for the mail to dry up. Make sure to do returns to every piece of mail, if you give over a letter to landlord, then it will continue to come as business never got it back to tell them not to send to that address again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

_Brian wrote: »
    People have given tue solution.
    Just keep returning them "not known at this address", they will stop, just tell landlord they stopped coming.
    If the post comes back after being marked "not at this address" by you, escalate the situation. Something like "Are you stupid, they don't live here. Twat." Put back in the postbox. Repeat as often as necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Is there anyway I can find out if my landlord and the brothers haulage company are tax compliant or are up to some sort of trick? If I find this to be the case I would report it and move out immediately.

You don't need to find out if they are tax complaint, thats revenues job. If you think they are not then report them to revenue.

You don't need to find out if they are tax complaint, thats revenues job. If you think they are not then report them to revenue.

I do need to find out. If he is not paying tax in the property then he is committing fraud with MY money.

The more I've posted here, the more I realise there is something very shady going on.

Looking into that would a) be none of your business as it has nothing to do with the letting of the property b) how would it help you? moving out wont help you as you said you like the property and there are few available in that rural area...just speak to landlord again and make it clear your dislike of his post coming to the house and if no joy, write return to sender until he gets the message.

Of course it's my business!  Would you be happy if your employer never paid a cent of income tax out of your wages yet paid you as if you were. I don't wish to aid tax avoidance if I can help it.

But youre not an employee of the company..you have no vested interest in the company....dont balls it up OP ;)

But youre not an employee of the company..you have no vested interest in the company....dont balls it up OP

I really shouldn't be replying to you, but if I see a woman get mugged down the street, Id have no vested intrest in reporting it, but I still would. A crime should be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I do need to find out. If he is not paying tax in the property then he is committing fraud with MY money.

The more I've posted here, the more I realise there is something very shady going on.

You seem to have misread or misunderstood my post. Revenue will investigate him and ensure he is tax complaint. You don't need to do anything except report him. And probably look for a new place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If you are only there a few months it may not yet show on RTB, they can be slow sometimes to show.

But youre not an employee of the company..you have no vested interest in the company....dont balls it up OP

I really shouldn't be replying to you, but if I see a woman get mugged down the street, Id have no vested intrest in reporting it, but I still would. A crime should be reported.
    But in the example you give youve witnessed something...a woman getting mugged...you have 0 knowledge of anything ontoward going on with your landlords brothers business...no facts what so ever...other than post coming there...maybe that house is the registered address of the company...you might wax lyrical about being non tax compliant but youve no evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I'm just afraid to rock the boat and get evicted. I will wait untill the 6 months are up so.

A bit of pot and kettle in there if you ask me. If you're so sure about all this tax fraud, just go ahead and report him now, but stand by to get focked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

emeldc wrote:
    If you burn them there's no evidence

But we know what you did last post day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

It's actually misrepresenting yourself to use an address that isn't your residence on all sorts of things from bank accounts to taxation documents.

This is basically a form of identity fraud no matter what way the landlord might see it.

Cross off the address on the unopened mail and write return to sender.
    The various companies and government agencies can sometimes take a while to cop on that the address is invalid as they usually have to get processed by a mailroom somewhere.

They'll often contact the addressee though to clarify what's going on or, may even suspend things like credit cards.

But the landlord owns the house albeit they are not living there...it makes no difference to the senders what the correspondance address is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

It's actually misrepresenting yourself to use an address that isn't your residence on all sorts of things from bank accounts to taxation documents.

This is basically a form of identity fraud no matter what way the landlord might see it.

The various companies and government agencies can sometimes take a while to cop on that the address is invalid as they usually have to get processed by a mailroom somewhere.

They'll often contact the addressee though to clarify what's going on or, may even suspend things like credit cards.

I think this is incorrect - students away all year don't commit identity fraud.

I have no idea why it's such a big deal to put them in the post box he is proposing. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest to do it.
    seamus wrote: »

Until then get a load of stickers printed up with "Unknown at this address" on them, stick them on whatever comes in the door, and then lash them in the nearest postbox whenever you go out.

A rural post man will likely know the ops LL and will ask him what's up and will probably ignore this sort of stuff if he is told to.

Nonsense imo. I've moved out of home about 7 years ago but I still address everything there from revenue to bank accounts to car ownership docs as I've no interest in having any of it sent to rental address and all the hassle of moving it on again or the risk of it going missing etc. It will also be where I'll most likely be living again (no house numbers in rural areas so even if I built a new house in the area the address would stay the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

emeldc wrote: »
    If you burn them there's no evidence :p

I've lost count of the letters sent up the chimney, only solution is to incinerate and forget

When grate is full, toss cooled ashes over hedge into forest into wheelie bin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

You keep returning them, they'll keep coming back, unless they're stopped at the delivery office,(the middle man) companies just print them off and send them out regardless. I was the same once, getting letters for someone else, so I put "Deceased" on some of them and returned them, didn't work, and one company sent another one back some weeks later.......
    John Smith.....Deceased, for feck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

This cowboy is up to something. Mark all his post "not known at this address", talk to the postman and local sorting centre, ask them not to deliver his post anymore. Then report him to the PTRB and send anonymous tips to Revenue and see if you can identify which bank is sending those statements to your address (without opening the post obviously). Advise that bank that he's no longer at that address and that he's renting the property out to you.

He's probably not declaring the rental income to revenue, and probably hasn't told the bank he's a landlord to avoid having them jack up his mortgage rates and/or to avoid having to pay landlord-level home insurance. Hit him where it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MackMack

Sounds like he's claiming he's living there so that all the rental can be put down under the rent-a-room relief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Alot of probablies and maybes in this thread with no actual evidence. The landlord maybe just can't be bothered changing the address. This does not mean he is a master criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    I've lost count of the letters sent up the chimney, only solution is to incinerate and forget
    You do realise that if you don't send them back that they will just keep coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

It's not nonsense.

You are legally agreeing to provide YOUR HOME ADDRESS where you are normally resident. Students away for 9 months are a special case. It is not their permanent address.

If you let your house and move somewhere else, you are no longer resident at that address and it is not your home address. You can't continue to setup or operate accounts from what is now someone else's address.

To continue to claim it is your home address when you no longer live there is at best sloppy and dishonest but could be construed as an attempt to do something fraudulent eg a mortgage application with a clean address and all your debts at your other address.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's not nonsense.

You are legally agreeing to provide YOUR HOME ADDRESS where you are normally resident. Students away for 9 months are a special case. It is not their permanent address.

If you let your house and move somewhere else, you are no longer resident at that address and it is not your home address. You can't continue to setup or operate accounts from what is now someone else's address.

To continue to claim it is your home address when you no longer live there is at best sloppy and dishonest but could be construed as an attempt to do something fraudulent eg a mortgage application with a clean address and all your debts at your other address.
    Firstly, that's not at all how mortgage applications work.

Along with that, you've got people who inevitably move or might move every year, it makes no sense to change the address for everything if you do have family in the country, especially if it's where you grew up and you have your own room etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Put a date on the back of the envelope, aswell as the sticker. I had letters coming for the old house owner for over a year. I saved them all up, for about 6 months and sent them all back. Even had the guards call round with a summons. It's fairly easy to pick up the phone and find out where he resides now, I told them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

MackMack wrote: »
    Sounds like he's claiming he's living there so that all the rental can be put down under the rent-a-room relief.

Exactly what I think too.

OP just either throw the letters away or rport your LL to the RTB.
    People who fail to report their dodgy landlords are one of the reasons that slum lords exist .

You'll regret this situation in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You could also write to Revenue saying that you are receiving revenue correspondence addressed to relatives of your landlord at the dwelling you are renting from your landlord.

• Advertisement

It's not nonsense.

It is nonsense, you can live in more than one place also so how can you inforce a rule like that. Banks etc don't care about this sort of thing that is a fact.

I still just can't understand why people are so awkward as not to just give the LL his letter, it's just petty and wanting to cause trouble for the sake of it.

Advertisement