Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't change address

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

I can understand how somebody would prefer not to have their landlord calling to the house regularly but reporting him to Revenue etc ... really?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

C3PO wrote: »
    I can understand how somebody would prefer not to have their landlord calling to the house regularly but reporting him to Revenue etc ... really?

Even more importantly, why would you allow your mail to go to an address where someone else controls what you receive and when you receive it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pkiernan wrote: »
    rport your LL to the RTB.
    People who fail to report their dodgy landlords are one of the reasons that slum lords exist .

Report him for what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Report him for what exactly?

Failing to register tenancy.
    OP has stated twice that tenancy is not registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

C3PO wrote: »

Yeah God forbid that the LL is tax compliant....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Failing to register tenancy.
    OP has stated twice that tenancy is not registered.

I had a tenant that I registered with the RTB that never showed as registered on their website for the duration of the 4 year tenancy. The OP will have no way to know if the tenancy is registered and tbh it doesn't concern them whether it is or not as their rights are not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Isn't that illegal? I don't want to draw any trouble on myself and don't want to get evicted as I like the area and houses are scarce.

I don't know if it is illegal but if you did that and simply make them disappear it would force the issue very quickly. He would be forced to act, to do something. He will have no proof that you got rid of them. It would also as you know further worsen your relationship with LL.

I think you have to be registered with the PRTB as they contact the tenant directly re some matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

OP : The guy offered to put in a box - so that you could sling his post in there. That's accommodating. i.e. you don't want to have contact with him (which I understand) so he has compromised and offered a solution. If you can't meet him half way and bung his post in a box outside the house every once in a while, that doesn't say a whole lot about you.

And in the same way....speculating about this or that ...revenue this, prtb that - it all sounds mean spirited and begrudging (an irish speciality).

Isn't it healthy to maintain a good relationship with your landlord and vice versa? I have to say - if I was him and you couldn't accommodate him with this, I'd think twice when it comes to other stuff down the road (and there will be other points of discussion). If you have a thorn in your ass over the price being paid, then why did you agree to it?....or if it was a rental increase, then why don't you move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Steal locked postbox outside near the gate. Postman puts in there. Landlord can drop by and get em without even darkening your door.you never see them again.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I had a tenant that I registered with the RTB that never showed as registered on their website for the duration of the 4 year tenancy. The OP will have no way to know if the tenancy is registered and tbh it doesn't concern them whether it is or not as their rights are not affected.

But when you register a tenancy the tenant gets letter from the RTB in the post with the registration number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Steal locked postbox outside near the gate. Postman puts in there. Landlord can drop by and get em without even darkening your door.you never see them again.

What about the OPs post?

As for the do gooders saying burning the post that An Post deliver to their post box is illegal, An Post don't deliver to people they deliver to the premises, and that they should just write not known at this address they are also advising on an illegal activity. Once a letter is delivered to get it returned you have to attach a stamp, that'll cost the OP a fortune.

Plenty of work places open all incoming mail regardless of the nature of the mail, so it may be legal for an item once delivered to be opened/burnt as it's no longer mail after its delivered to the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Let him put up the postbox. Then either put up a sign on the box saying "All post not for Ultimate Seduction here", OR have a talk with the postman and he will do that for you easily. I've never met a rural postman who wasn't accommodating that way.

But when you register a tenancy the tenant gets letter from the RTB in the post with the registration number?

Not always. Do not over estimate the competence of the organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

It is nonsense, you can live in more than one place also so how can you inforce a rule like that. Banks etc don't care about this sort of thing that is a fact.

I still just can't understand why people are so awkward as not to just give the LL his letter, it's just petty and wanting to cause trouble for the sake of it.

Banks absolutely do care about this sort of thing. I have seen credit cards cancelled over it when an account holder's statements were returned multiple times. They will be marked "Gone Away" in the bank's system and if they're not able to provide proof of address, the account is potentially suspended.

The banks are legally obliged to have your *current* address under anti money laundering legislation.

Likewise, you will find yourself in serious hot water if you turn up in court having missed a speeding fine etc if it's found you've deliberately provided inaccurate addresses to the licensing authority.

Your car insurance is also only valid if you're actually keeping the car at the address you've given. The premium is partially calculated based on this.

It's also a very common problem that people will provide multiple versions of addresses to mobile phone companies or credit card providers etc etc to make it impossible to run a credit check or, to find that they've bad debts registered against them. So, in those cases if your letters start coming back as not-at-this-address, the company may suddenly suspend credit facilities until they've proof of who you actually are.

They don't go through the hoops of trying to prove your address with utility bills and so on for the craic.

The basic problems you get :

Seamus Mc Ainm-Bréagach
    James FalseName

registered at two different addresses.

Ultimately, that gets seen as two completely different people by most companies and state bodies trying to deal with credit ratings / fraud issues.

It's also not petty. The landlord *does not live* at that address. They are simply continuing to use what is someone else's residence now as their home address, which is misleading at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

redbel05 wrote: »
    Let him put up the postbox. Then either put up a sign on the box saying "All post not for Ultimate Seduction here", OR have a talk with the postman and he will do that for you easily. I've never met a rural postman who wasn't accommodating that way.

landlord is still calling to the house to collect mail
    It's intrusion - tenant is entitled to privacy.

I'd suggest following the advise - sit out till 6 months in , then register a complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If it is a first time landlord he may simply be nervous and wants an excuse to visit the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Let the owner set up "His Post Box" preferably out by the entrance gate with his surname and those of his family clearly marked on it and stick something else on your letterbox and inform the postman what letters go where.
    The rest is meh as you are only going to be there for six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you know where the landlord lives. You are entitled to have this information.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Once a letter is delivered to get it returned you have to attach a stamp, that'll cost the OP a fortune.
    This is wrong - just mark it "return to sender".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Victor wrote:
    Do you know where the landlord lives. You are entitled to have this information.

He wouldn't give it to me when I asked. His address on the lease is the house that I'm renting.

He wouldn't give it to me when I asked. His address on the lease is the house that I'm renting.

You obviously have other issues with your arrangement with this landlord - otherwise, there isn't a chance in hell that you'd be raising this....not when he's offered to put in a box that you can throw his mail in (or the postman can throw his mail in). Other than that, all I see is people looking to work an angle.

Tell us what the actual grievance is? You said that you are paying too much. Is it in relation to this?

• Advertisement

The grievance is I should not have mail for 5 people and a haulage company flying in my door everyday.

It's my address, No one else should be using this address.

The grievance is I should not have mail for 5 people and a haulage company flying in my door everyday.

I don't believe that for a second - not when he's offered to put in a separate box for said post...meaning that your enjoyment of that property will not be compromised in any way, shape or form.

His arrangements are exactly that i.e. his own. Your speculation as to what may be right or wrong has nothing to do with you. The fact that you have time to invest in this sort of thing speaks volumes to me.
    How very precious of you.

What ruddy difference does it make to you? How forward thinking do you think this attitude of yours is? You think when you need him for something he's going to come running - given this nonsense? I know I wouldn't if I was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

This would drive me mad too tbh.

Scraggs wrote: »
    This would drive me mad too tbh.
    What the hard work of having to drop a few envelopes into a box on your way out the door?

Please.

What the hard work of having to drop a few envelopes into a box on your way out the door?

But why should I have to do this? I pay rent for a peacefull dwelling. Literally carrier bags full of mail every fortnight. Why is there company's registered to MY address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

OP didn't say if he has a lease or not.

if not maybe the LL intends moving back into the house himself after 6 months so that will be his address again.

if OP has a lease then would earlier suggestion of two separate postboxes not solve the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Why is there company's registered to MY address.

Because it's your landlords house... And he's too lazy to change the details.

As I see it there's two ways to go about this, let it get on your nerves.. act like a d**k, return to sender etc. etc. or try getting on with your landlord and do him a favour and maybe he'll do you a few in return.

I'd the same issue in a previous house I lived in, never bothered me. I just left them in the hall and whenever the landlord was about I'd give them to him. I got on with the landlord so had no issue. In the time we where there he put in two bathroom suites, new boiler, entire new kitchen, new appliances. I asked for all of these to be done and he never hesitated... It works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Everyone here is talking about a way to get rid of the letters. Try use it to your advantage.

You say you paying over the market rate.
    Why not say it to him out straight and ask him for a better deal?

You can always keep a few letters and report him when you leave if he is being a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

There is no issue here.

Landlord has offered a solution, separate box. This does not compromise your peaceful enjoyment and therefore there is no issue the RTB would be interested in. You do not own the address the landlord does, you lease the property which is a different matter.

Advertisement