Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't change address

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is no issue here.

Landlord has offered a solution, separate box. This does not compromise your peaceful enjoyment and therefore there is no issue the RTB would be interested in. You do not own the address the landlord does, you lease the property which is a different matter.

So you'd be happy to have your landlord popping over to your house every few days? That's not peaceful enjoyment of the OPs home. They will also need to separate their own mail from the LLs mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Del2005 wrote: »
    So you'd be happy to have your landlord popping over to your house every few days? That's not peaceful enjoyment of the OPs home.
    You mean, they will call within the vicinity of the property to empty a mail box? That doesn't involve intrusion in any way, shape or form.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    They will also need to separate their own mail from the LLs mail.
    For real?

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My brother hasn't lived at home for over 20 years. He has a company registered to our home address because he has rented and moved many times in those 20 years. Including living in America for a time.

You're supposing a lot of things.

Ask the postman to post their envelopes in the letter box at the gate.

Then report them to whoever/where ever you think you should for what ever it is you think they are doing wrong. Let whoever it's reported to investigate it and see if anything illegal is going on.

Don't expect to hear back one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Tennant from hell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tennant from hell

Hardly.
    I had a tenant who I had to power wash blood off the driveway after.
    I had another who still owes me €5k plus.
    A bit of hassle with mail would be like a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Activewearuser

You can call the RTB with the address of the property or ask the landlord for their PPS number to check if it is registered.

Re the letters it's a 6 month rental so maybe he's moving back after that. Taking it to the RTB - he's offered you a solution to calling & you don't want to accommodate it, with that attitude I can't see any offer for an extention on the 6 months, so I'd put your energy into looking for another property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The OP has said he was refused the landlord's address. This is rather significant. He is supposed to provide an address and yet there are posts with stuff like "tenant from hell".. Thats a bit rich.

The post situation is frustrating but not a big deal in itself, if that were the only issue here...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

It is nonsense, you can live in more than one place also so how can you inforce a rule like that. Banks etc don't care about this sort of thing that is a fact.

I still just can't understand why people are so awkward as not to just give the LL his letter, it's just petty and wanting to cause trouble for the sake of it.

Live myself in a farmhouse
    its the old family home of my landlord and he self living somewhere else but still owns the house and the next door farm
    Get at my adres all the post for the farm and the post from some family members living somewhere else
    Put up a mailbox myself on one of the farm buildings and when there is mail for them put it in that mailbox
    Don't need to know why or what his reason is he s not changed his adres its his business

On another address there was fraud going on
    Previous tenants on social welfare moved out the house without changing their address
    Got loads of mail from SF
    After 6 months I stopped saving their post and brought it back to the SW office telling them they re gone 6 months ago
    Heard later they were gone to England working in Londen on the Olympic city and still got jobseekers allowance

Don't need to know why or what his reason is he s not changed his adress its his business
    Exactly. Lest people forget, it's normal human behaviour to cooperate with one another. Some have suggested that it's a chore to put a few letters in a separate mailbox! That you would admit such a thing should be embarrassing for you.

Then, this groundless speculation that some sort of fraud is being committed. Unless the OP receives information that confirms such a thing, they have no business being presumptive.

There's nothing at work here but begrudgery. If you can't be civil and reasonable - and more to the point - if you can't have a little bit of foresight, you will pay for this nasty approach (the first opportunity the LL gets).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

By the way if you mark return to sender on letters they go to the returned letters branch. It can take some months for them to be returned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry, but the landlord putting a separate box for his mail is not a "solution". The tenant is paying for exclusive enjoyment of the property he is renting, and he is entitled to that. That includes not having the landlord coming onto the property every other day to collect his post.

Would you be happy if you had a neighbour coming onto your property all the time to pick up their post? No, you wouldn't. This is exactly the same thing. The typical heads are on here nodding about "his property" and other such nonsense.

When you rent out a property, you forfeit the right to come and go as you please. It is now someone else's home and legally must be treated as such. End of story.

Stick in a separate post box outside the property, fine no problem. Outside the front gate, knock yourself out, ask the postman to stick your mail in there. But I doubt this is what the landlord is asking for.

You know what else the landlord could do? Pay to get his mail redirected to his own home. Then there's no messing with postboxes or mail going "lost". But I suspect he has many reasons why he doesn't want that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Well, it's a 6 month contract OP. Written on 1 A4 piece of paper.
    Here's to hoping that LL is not familiar with further part 4 but if it's a 6 month contract expect to be asked to leave in 6 month - not sure what the notice period is but it's short enough.

For the moment, I'd agree with the postbox outside and see if you can manage to stay for 6 month +1 day.
    Once you have security of tenancy I would take action.But not before - not if you want to have a least a shot of staying there.

For the moment, I'd agree with the postbox outside and see if you can manage to stay for 6 month +1 day.
    Once you have security of tenancy I would take action.But not before - not if you want to have a least a shot of staying there.
    Yeah....that sounds slimey (given that folks on here have been trying to take the moral high ground). If you GENUINELY have an issue in placing his post into a box OUTSIDE the property, then go ahead and tell him.

Then you can start looking for other accommodation in 6 months from now - as If I was the LL and another sentient human being couldn't accommodate that simple request, my mind would be made up.

Waiting to go 1 day over 6 months - without having an honest conversation on the matter - enough said.

Yeah....that sounds slimey (given that folks on here have been trying to take the moral high ground). If you GENUINELY have an issue in placing his post into a box OUTSIDE the property, then go ahead and tell him.

Then you can start looking for other accommodation in 6 months from now - as If I was the LL and another sentient human being couldn't accommodate that simple request, my mind would be made up.

Waiting to go 1 day over 6 months - without having an honest conversation on the matter - enough said.

And that sounds judgmental. If you've read the whole threat - the OP has already been down that road to no avail.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Just readdress his mail OP and drop it back in the postbox. Since he won't tell you his actual address, you'll just have to guess. Start at the first page of the phonebook for suggestions as to where he might live.

And that sounds judgmental. If you've read the whole threat - the OP has already been down that road to no avail.:mad:

The road of waiting until 6 months and ONE day? Sure. Or you mean they had a conversation - and the landlord accommodated by saying he would put an external mailbox in place?

The laws of cause and effect apply - as the OP will find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The landlord refused to give his address, which he's supposed to by law. Now, why is that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

These threads are the reason I don't rent out my property anymore. Fcuk that. Every man and his dog thinks LL's are evil, tax avoiding, law breaking pricks and thinks they've every right to be ringing up bodies to report them.

It's a nasty attitude that's building up and it's going to backfire on tenants imo. If you look at Daft now there are 4 times as many house-shares as full places to rent. No-one wants to do it anymore. Too much of this LL hating crap going on.

pilly wrote: »
    These threads are the reason I don't rent out my property anymore. Fcuk that. Every man and his dog thinks LL's are evil, tax avoiding, law breaking pricks and thinks they've every right to be ringing up bodies to report them.

It's a nasty attitude that's building up and it's going to backfire on tenants imo. If you look at Daft now there are 4 times as many house-shares as full places to rent. No-one wants to do it anymore. Too much of this LL hating crap going on.

:( mwoah. i don't think that. But assess case by case.And this specific case is just fishy.:cool:

:( mwoah. i don't think that. But assess case by case.And this specific case is just fishy.:cool:

Yeah, maybe it is but the amount of people who just suggest going overboard straight away.

Set fire to post, ring the revenue etc. etc.

And there's an element of paranoia involved here as well.

A company still getting post to a certain address can happen for years with revenue because unless the company is deregistered they'll keep sending post regardless of whether there are taxes outstanding.

I actually don't like the fact that tenants may know my other address either. What if things turn sour?

Does everyone have to give their address to people they do business with? No.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe it is but the amount of people who just suggest going overboard straight away.

Set fire to post, ring the revenue etc. etc.

And there's an element of paranoia involved here as well.

A company still getting post to a certain address can happen for years with revenue because unless the company is deregistered they'll keep sending post regardless of whether there are taxes outstanding.

I actually don't like the fact that tenants may know my other address either. What if things turn sour?

Does everyone have to give their address to people they do business with? No.

That really depends. A private LL will have to give his address and PPS number to the RTB I think. My own lease holds the LL address and his PPS number and so did the 2 prior ones with different LL. I think that's quite common but I stand to be corrected. If you have a management company thats a different story. But in this particular case I seriously doubt that. And I would NOT set any post on fire-drop it back to the mailbox.Rural, let the local postman know he'll just won't deliver it anymore would be my guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

pilly wrote:

pilly wrote:

This particular instance IS rather fishy: five people and a business all mailing to the same address, of which the mail contains road tax renewals
    (Cheaper insurance for rural areas?)
    Bank statements (ID fraud/not actually living at that address?) and revenue letters???
    I'd be careful lumping ALL landlords together though, most who I've dealt with only have one or two properties and its not their sole source of income (fat chance with all the taxes!) but more like their pension or nest egg. Vilify them enough and more and more will simply quit and sell up which won't be in one go so there won't be any significant price drops (per se) and just wait till the big REIT's move in to fill the vacuum left.
    But, y'know, "Grr landlords!"

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    This particular instance IS rather fishy: five people and a business all mailing to the same address, of which the mail contains road tax renewals
    (Cheaper insurance for rural areas?)
    Bank statements (ID fraud/not actually living at that address?) and revenue letters???
    I'd be careful lumping ALL landlords together though, most who I've dealt with only have one or two properties and its not their sole source of income (fat chance with all the taxes!) but more like their pension or nest egg. Vilify them enough and more and more will simply quit and sell up which won't be in one go so there won't be any significant price drops (per se) and just wait till the big REIT's move in to fill the vacuum left.
    But, y'know, "Grr landlords!"

I haven't seen any posts mentioning road tax renewals and bank statements?

Maybe I've missed them but I think it's a load of other posters jumping in with paranoia to be honest.

Edit: Okay, I've seen that now. Okay, that's not on. Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    the mail contains road tax renewals
    Who pays road tax? :confused:

Who pays road tax? :confused:

I don't. I pay pothole tax...(sorry mod off topic)

Landlord is only obliged to provide his address to the prtb. He only needs to provide contact details to the Tennant such as phone number.
    Should he provide a post box outside the perimeter and post be directed their this will not infringe on the Tennant's rights for privacy or enjoyment etc.
    Landlord here seems to know more about both parties rights than op.
    I suggest op adhere to the laws set out by prtb and mind his own business in regards to the landlords personal affairs. As you would expect your personal affairs to remain private

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

The road of waiting until 6 months and ONE day? Sure. Or you mean they had a conversation - and the landlord accommodated by saying he would put an external mailbox in place?

The laws of cause and effect apply - as the OP will find out.

You sound like you're taking this all very personally. Are you the OP's landlord?

conf101 wrote: »
    You sound like you're taking this all very personally. Are you the OP's landlord?
    Nothing personal at all. I have never been a landlord, contemplated being one - but I have to say, between the attitudes of people here and all the other issues (insane tax rates between taxes, ongoing costs and hassle, potential for bad debts due to the fact that the law favours the tenant, usc, property taxes), only someone who is into S&M would bother going down that road.

Some tenants seem to think that LL's are loaded - that may be the case or it could be far from the case...shouldn't really matter either way. I'd imagine that this has shaped some of the aggressive suggestions that have been brought up here.

Some may have had bad experiences with LL's in the past and that is colouring their views. Yes, there are bad LL's out there - but it's a vicious circle. I talked to someone who had the whole house stripped of anything that was of value. When I say 'stripped', they removed ALL the wiring from the complete dwelling. These individuals were going from house to house doing that. They were known to the Gardai - but the Gardai told the LL to chalk it down as a 'bad experience'!
    You might say that the LL didn't do his due diligence. The fact is that you never really know who you are taking on. The guy has multiple properties and gave me another example. An accountant - who gave the impression that she was a decent and reasonable human being. When she moved out, he said he has never seen a house in such a state - rubbish everywhere.....the attic space wedged with refuse.

One final example for you. LL had property which it turned out was rented to scumbags. They were refusing to pay rent and refusing all attempts to have them evicted. These guys were dangerous. The Gardai told him 'off the record' to get some heavies and physically remove them! Yes, you heard that right - they advised him to break the law....which he did...and that was the only way he could solve the problem. If you go through the legal process, it can take months (a hell of a lot of months) to evict someone - by which time, they live there for free - and likely, they'll wreck the place to boot - just to piss you off.

So....I have an opinion on the matter....is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Nothing personal at all. I have never been a landlord, contemplated being one - but I have to say, between the attitudes of people here and all the other issues (insane tax rates between taxes, ongoing costs and hassle, potential for bad debts due to the fact that the law favours the tenant, usc, property taxes), only someone who is into S&M would bother going down that road.

Some tenants seem to think that LL's are loaded - that may be the case or it could be far from the case...shouldn't really matter either way. I'd imagine that this has shaped some of the aggressive suggestions that have been brought up here.

Some may have had bad experiences with LL's in the past and that is colouring their views. Yes, there are bad LL's out there - but it's a vicious circle. I talked to someone who had the whole house stripped of anything that was of value. When I say 'stripped', they removed ALL the wiring from the complete dwelling. These individuals were going from house to house doing that. They were known to the Gardai - but the Gardai told the LL to chalk it down as a 'bad experience'!
    You might say that the LL didn't do his due diligence. The fact is that you never really know who you are taking on. The guy has multiple properties and gave me another example. An accountant - who gave the impression that she was a decent and reasonable human being. When she moved out, he said he has never seen a house in such a state - rubbish everywhere.....the attic space wedged with refuse.

One final example for you. LL had property which it turned out was rented to scumbags. They were refusing to pay rent and refusing all attempts to have them evicted. These guys were dangerous. The Gardai told him 'off the record' to get some heavies and physically remove them! Yes, you heard that right - they advised him to break the law....which he did...and that was the only way he could solve the problem. If you go through the legal process, it can take months (a hell of a lot of months) to evict someone - by which time, they live there for free - and likely, they'll wreck the place to boot - just to piss you off.

So....I have an opinion on the matter....is all.

There are crappy tenants and there are crappy LLs. Whether OP's LL is a crappy one or not is the subject of far too much speculation based on very little knowledge. Either way, OP shouldn't be obliged to provide some sort of sorting/holding service for their LL's mail. Some people would, and that's fair enough, but they're not obliged to and if OP is receiving the volume of mail they claim to be I can well see how it's an inconvenience.

The fact is, the address now belongs to OP and they're entitled to exclusive use of it, no matter how begrudging you, or anyone else, thinks that to be.

I certainly wouldn't allow my neighbour, for example, to have mail for five people and one business delivered to my house daily. Would you?

• Advertisement

conf101 wrote:
    The fact is, the address now belongs to OP and they're entitled to exclusive use of it, no matter how begrudging you, or anyone else, thinks that to be.

Correct, but the landlord is entitled to put a box on the perimeter.

Advertisement