Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't change address

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

conf101 wrote: »
    Either way, OP shouldn't be obliged to provide some sort of sorting/holding service for their LL's mail.
    Are we in a world whereby we are only interested in screwing someone over on terms and conditions? What about the human factor and contributing towards a good working relationship between parties?

Sure, screw the LL over and don't cooperate in placing mail in a box OUTSIDE the property - that he will provide and install. Suggest that it is a major chore to place a few letters in a box (with the greatest will in the world, I wouldn't have an ounce of respect for someone who believed this to be a chore!).

What will happen next is - the LL will start the same crack i.e. screw the tenant over - as per the terms of conditions of the contract/lease - and give them no lee-way.

If people don't have the smarts and foresight to think of the bigger picture and treat human beings as exactly that, then I don't have any respect for them.

I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shivral

Did you try talking to him again and explaining that his presence in the property every two weeks is bit excessive and maybe some deduction in rent is a possibility as a result of this inconvenience? it's obvious he needs this address for some reasons, to prove that he lives there although he is not....PRTB will discuss your case over the phone and you don't have to be registered with them, I've found them super helpful and we aren't registered either.

shivral wrote: »
    Did you try talking to him again and explaining that his presence in the property every two weeks is bit excessive and maybe some deduction in rent is a possibility as a result of this inconvenience?

My understanding is that he's placing a box outside the property? Who does this disturb unless he's constantly ringing the doorbell (which there shouldnt be any need ....if he is collecting from said box).?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

I agree that the refusal to provide a forwarding address is fishy.
    It means the landlord has all the "contact" power, and most professional and above board landlords would see no problem with providing such info. After all, they know where the tenant lives. It is a partnership/contract which requires trust from both sides.
    However, it could be that the landlord is living somewhere like a van, so I would sympathise with such a situation and disclosing it to the tenant would be tricky.
    OP, can you perhaps ascertain if the landlord has any family at all in the locality? Then you could suggest to landlord that they redirect their post to that person. How much do you know about this person? I hope he actually owns the property and isn't subletting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

If you bought a house off someone and then you kept on getting their letters for years would you be so keen to accept the same solution. Sure I'll just add some task to my daily life to facilitate your families dodgy shenanigans.

• Advertisement

Banks absolutely do care about this sort of thing. I have seen credit cards cancelled over it when an account holder's statements were returned multiple times. They will be marked "Gone Away" in the bank's system and if they're not able to provide proof of address, the account is potentially suspended.

The banks are legally obliged to have your *current* address under anti money laundering legislation.

Well the the banks I deal with (3 of them on a regular basis) don't care as I have told 2/3 them straight out that I don't live full time at the address which I use for my accounts, the address I will supply them as my proof of address and where all my other correspondence is sent to (and always has been).
    If you bought a house off someone and then you kept on getting their letters for years would you be so keen to accept the same solution. Sure I'll just add some task to my daily life to facilitate your families dodgy shenanigans.

No comparison whatsoever. The ops LL still owns the property the op is only living there on a temporary basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

On the plus side OP, once this box is installed, you'll have somewhere to put all your junk mail, free newspapers and takeaway menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Sure, screw the LL over and don't cooperate in placing mail in a box OUTSIDE the property - that he will provide and install. Suggest that it is a major chore to place a few letters in a box (with the greatest will in the world, I wouldn't have an ounce of respect for someone who believed this to be a chore!).

Well said, life is tough enough

Bend over backwards for him and be grateful for it. The Irish sure love to get ridden by the land owning classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

There is no issue here.

Landlord has offered a solution, separate box. This does not compromise your peaceful enjoyment and therefore there is no issue the RTB would be interested in. You do not own the address the landlord does, you lease the property which is a different matter.

This kind of attitude is why we need to replace small-time landlords with large scale entities. If your business is renting out premises you need to do that professionally.

• Advertisement

Bend over backwards for him and be grateful for it. The Irish sure love to get ridden by the land owning classes.
    This kind of attitude is why we need to replace small-time landlords with large scale entities. If your business is renting out premises you need to do that professionally.
    Yeah, then you will find out all about the 'land owning classes'!
    Some hedge fund based in Connecticut. There won't be any issues with mailboxes - but you'll pay good and well for the privilege.
    Good luck.

Well the the banks I deal with (3 of them on a regular basis) don't care as I have told 2/3 them straight out that I don't live full time at the address which I use for my accounts, the address I will supply them as my proof of address and where all my other correspondence is sent to (and always has been).

No comparison whatsoever. The ops LL still owns the property the op is only living there on a temporary basis.

You are a born gombeen. There's no gombeenism you won't defend.

To rent something out is to provide a service. That service should be a professional service.

If someone were to rent out a commercial property to google he wouldn't expect them to deliver his mail when he turns up every two weeks with his arse hanging out of his pocket looking for his mail.

That works across all scales of rent. Across all types of rental property.

Yeah, then you will find out all about the 'land owning classes'!
    Some hedge fund based in Connecticut. There won't be any issues with mailboxes - but you'll pay good and well for the privilege.
    Good luck.

I own now but I have lived in the US and rented in large apartments owned by large corporations. They are fine. Well run. Professional. Nobody popping around from new York for their mail every two weeks.

I own now but I have lived in the US and rented in large apartments owned by large corporations. They are fine. Well run. Professional. Nobody popping around from new York for their mail every two weeks.
    I don't doubt it...and what were you paying? OR...what will you be paying with the irish implementation of that?

Of course it would be much preferable to rent from some faceless corporation than a mickey mouse bog chancer and his family of 12.

I don't doubt it...and what were you paying?  OR...what will you be paying with the irish implementation of that?
    Market rate. Rents are always set at the market rate .

Market rate. Rents are always set at the market rate .

Yes, market rate - agreed. You want a more professional approach - you will pay the market rate for it i.e. all those extra bits n pieces will be factored / priced in. Then there is the irish penchant to pander to larger entities - so don't expect the way things are run by bigger entities abroad to match the impemention in Ireland.

One last thing.....given the nature of our laws here in Ireland, you can be sure that any major entity is going to price in the likelihood of being screwed over by a tenant (given our tenancy laws) - and those other decent tenants will pay for those circumstances whereby the property remains in the hands of a non-paying tenant for months on end.

You think that rents are high now - just you wait :-D

Of course it would be much preferable to rent from some faceless corporation than a mickey mouse bog chancer and his family of 12.

No way, give me a local lad any day of the week. Let him call for his mail and I'll give him a cup of tea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

And how quickly would you be evicted if you didn't pay the rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

pilly wrote:
    And how quickly would you be evicted if you didn't pay the rent?

Really, you try evict a bad Tennant. Trust me it won't be quick

And there is the issue, is it any wonder LL try all the tricks they can to maintain control of their property when this is the case yet the pitch forks are out by many here just becuse LL try to protect themselves.

Bad tenants, those not paying rent etc should be out within 30 days, physically removed if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This is one of the fundamental problems with the crapper variety of Irish amateur landlord. The landlord still owns the house, but they can't do whatever they want with it while it is being rented to someone. Many amateurs do not seem to fully grasp this. It's the landlord's possession, and not the tenants, of course. However, it is the tenant's home and not the landlord's.

To be clear, I'm not saying that all landlords are like this by any means. But it's more common than you'd expect.

That was my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Absolutely. Took 13 episodes to get rid of this one.

1533514250789959970.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭irelandrover

How would a postbox outside the gate work, would all the mail now go to that meaning someone else has access to the OPs mail?
    Or would the landlord need to give that a different address, in which case they need to change their address anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Even if there was a post box outside, if say there's an average of 10 letters a week that would fill fairly lively if the landlord didnt collect - what then. The postman resorting to then putting it back in the letter box and back to where the OP started.

GBX wrote: »
    Even if there was a post box outside, if say there's an average of 10 letters a week that would fill fairly lively if the landlord didnt collect - what then. The postman resorting to then putting it back in the letter box and back to where the OP started.

I think the extent of post is over exaggerated here to be honest. I've received 1 letter this week and that would be about average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP. Try to talk to your local postal service, seeing as the landlord isn't cooperating.

I am a landlord myself, and I wouldn't dream of doing this to a tenant. They are not my personal secretary.

Likewise, when a tenant leaves any of my properties, they need to have a redirect set up. I will not tolerate being someone's personal postal service.

Furthermore, and most importantly, it's the height of stupidity! You seem like a decent law abiding person, trying to do the right thing. What is the stop some not-so-honorable tenant diving in there for a bit of identity fraud. Here's a bank card arriving in the post, I will just wait now for the PIN... here it is a few days later... off you go to clear out his bank accounts.

He's an outright moron to do this.

I would keep the post, indoors or at work, for about two months, and not be there when he calls for it. I'd give it back when he showed some proof of a postal redirection, or a dramatic drop off in the levels of post arriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And there is the issue, is it any wonder LL try all the tricks they can to maintain control of their property when this is the case yet the pitch forks are out by many here just becuse LL try to protect themselves.

Bad tenants, those not paying rent etc should be out within 30 days, physically removed if necessary.
    In a rare case, I actually agree with you. There should be more powers to remove bad tenants.

But it should be balanced with rights and remediation. Give the landlord the ability to evict tenants at short notice.

But if they can't prove the eviction was legal, make them liable for minimum fines of €20,000+, as well as compensation awards to the tenant they've evicted.

If the tenant has stopped paying rent, and you can prove that you issued the correct notice at the correct time, then you have nothing to fear. But if you just fancy bullying a tenant out of their home, you stand to lose a lot.

The balance will always have to tip towards the tenant. For them, it's a roof over their head, a basic human right. To the landlord, it's just money, it's just an asset. It's not a human right or a necessity.

Advertisement