Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbs and spices to put into scrambled eggs

Options
  • 09-06-2017 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

What would be good herbs and/or spices to put into scrambled eggs to give a better taste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I love a few drops of tabasco sauce added into my scrambled eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Chives.
    Oregano and crumbled feta.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Chives are good. My current favourite is lovage, but that's not a commonly available herb in the shops. Ridiculously easy to grow though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Logged in to thank the cheese post. Undoubtedly my favourite herb and/or spice!

I like to dice a few jalapenos and throw them in.

• Advertisement

:confused: Cheese is a herb / spice now ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Black pepper with herbs de Provence

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Alun wrote: »
    :confused: Cheese is a herb / spice now ???

I could be wrong but probably...

joke
    dʒəʊk/Submit
    noun
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter
    synonyms: funny story, jest, witticism, quip, pleasantry;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Dill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Fresh herbs, first of all.

Chives
    Parsley
    Majoram
    Mint
    Sorrell
    Spring onions (the green bit)

All chopped very, very fine. And some grated hard cheese like Peccorino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Paprika. Smoked paprika even better!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Do you all put the herbs, cheese or whatever in from the start and cook it all at once? I made scrambled eggs with chopped tomato and mushrooms once, and the eggs turned grey from the colour in the mushrooms. It tasted good but looked awful, and I've kept my eggs plain since. I fancy having them with feta and spring onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

I put cheddar cheese in mine and then top with a drizzle of chilli oil. Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't think I would fancy my scrambled eggs with mint? I like them pretty much plain with butter and a bit of black pepper.

Do you all put the herbs, cheese or whatever in from the start and cook it all at once? I made scrambled eggs with chopped tomato and mushrooms once, and the eggs turned grey from the colour in the mushrooms. It tasted good but looked awful, and I've kept my eggs plain since. I fancy having them with feta and spring onions.

No. Make the scrambled eggs as usual, and add the extra ingredients just before the end of the cooking, and serve straight away.

I put the herbs and cheese into the eggs first, then pour the mixture into a really, really hot pan. The cheese will mean there'll be brown, slightly crispy bits, which I love.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I put the herbs and cheese into the eggs first, then pour the mixture into a really, really hot pan. The cheese will mean there'll be brown, slightly crispy bits, which I love.

The exact opposite of what I do then :)

looksee wrote: »
    Don't think I would fancy my scrambled eggs with mint? I like them pretty much plain with butter and a bit of black pepper.

I love the mixture of all the herbs, they do work well together I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

I do mine in the microwave in 20 second bursts. Takes about 1.5 mins. Comes out perfect and no messy pot to clean!

Alun wrote: »
    The exact opposite of what I do then :)

I always found that "How do you like your eggs?" is a much more loaded and difficult question than people think ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Shenshen wrote: »
    I always found that "How do you like your eggs?" is a much more loaded and difficult question than people think ;)

:D

I'll try both ways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

3 eggs, spinach , mustard powder, strong cheddar cheese, red onion and a knob of butter all mixed together before cooking. Serve With home made soda bread and a pint of milk
    Best to take off heat before fully cooked and then keep stirring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

:D

I'll try both ways :)

Fertilised? :pac:

Pepper and salt is the only thing i like on my scrambled eggs. Cook em low and slow.

Anything else, and you are in omlette territory.

pwurple wrote: »
    Fertilised? :pac:

Pepper and salt is the only thing i like on my scrambled eggs. Cook em low and slow.

Anything else, and you are in omlette territory.

What I Put into my scrabbled egg is the same as what use for my omelette...I just call it scrambled egg if I **** up the omelette :D ...or if I am lazy and don't want to wait for an omelette to cook...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Slice a chilli real fine. Mix 3 eggs. Big lump of butter in the pot. Scramble on low heat. Golden buttery ribbons with a chilli kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Thyme, parmasean, few chillli flakes, touch of garlic paste, salt and pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well if we're going into scramble or omelette territory my husbands favourite is black pudding, diced chillis and coriander. supposed to be an omelette. Often ends up scramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

an american in a cafe in derry made scrambled eggs with celery salt and they were delicious but i havent found celery salt in any shops locally.

(it could be that i hadnt eaten for over 24 hours as i was getting a capsule endoscopy)

an american in a cafe in derry made scrambled eggs with celery salt and they were delicious but i havent found celery salt in any shops locally.

(it could be that i hadnt eaten for over 24 hours as i was getting a capsule endoscopy)

Tesco and super value both stock it ...

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=289081489

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

harr wrote: »

local supervalu didn't have it when i looked last, will look elsewhere when i'm out of donegal town !

Advertisement