Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route suggestions from Dingle

Options
  • 09-06-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi
    I will be going to Dingle in July. Can anyone suggest cycling routes for two days, would look to do about 100km to 140km on one of the days and maybe a 60km to 80km the next day both from and to Dingle. I am staying in Dingle village. Would look to stop for coffee once on the 100/140Km day and would not for the other day.
    If the routes was on Garmin connect it would be a massive help and bonus.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

There aren't many. But the ones that are, are spectacular. Slea head is the obvious one but you'll be back home in 2 hours. Connor pass is the other obvious one but once you get over that you're on a busy flat road to tralee and the inch road is equally busy and unpleasant.

Ive spent half my life West of Dingle and I usually do two laps of slea head if I want a 100k spin and add in a Connor pass climb, turning around at the top or going down the other side and then turning around. There lots of criss cross mountain roads you can take and explore too up M?m Casach from Paudie S?'s to Ballyferriter for example.

Tbh if you're only there a few days you've plenty to occupy the senses West of you. I wouldn't bother heading east (aysht de road).

Though if you do head for inch, between inch and miltown look out for a "scenic route" sign and "road unsuitable for caravans" its a savage steep mountain pass that will bring you down into Camp on the tralee road. From there you can head back to Dingle via Connor pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

This might be of some use http://threerockbooks.com/index.php/cycling-tour-dingle/ however it is a bit more touring focussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

fat bloke wrote: »
    There aren't many. But the ones that are, are spectacular. Slea head is the obvious one but you'll be back home in 2 hours. Connor pass is the other obvious one but once you get over that you're on a busy flat road to tralee and the inch road is equally busy and unpleasant.

Ive spent half my life West of Dingle and I usually do two laps of slea head if I want a 100k spin and add in a Connor pass climb, turning around at the top or going down the other side and then turning around. There lots of criss cross mountain roads you can take and explore too up M?m Casach from Paudie S?'s to Ballyferriter for example.

Tbh if you're only there a few days you've plenty to occupy the senses West of you. I wouldn't bother heading east (aysht de road).

Though if you do head for inch, between inch and miltown look out for a "scenic route" sign and "road unsuitable for caravans" its a savage steep mountain pass that will bring you down into Camp on the tralee road. From there you can head back to Dingle via Connor pass.
    Thanks the above, was thinking of doing this one, do you think this would be a good one?
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/15497467

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

Delboy.
    day 1: Leave dingle and head for Inch via Lispole, then when you have passed the beach take the next left which will bring you up onto the annascaul-camp road. Turn right and climb Gleann na Gealt and then descend into camp. Then after camp you come onto the tralee-conor pass rd. Turn Left for conor pass.
    Up and over the conor pass and back down into dingle. If you're still fresh the cycle out to slea head and coumenoolebeach. Turn around and cycle back the same way to Dingle. Its more like 115km but it will be plenty !!

The next day for the short one go out to slea head and continue on and the the full slea head loop. If you feeling fresh then on returning to dingle head straight up the conor pass. Stop at top, turn around and descend home to Dingle. Maybe 50-60km but again plenty !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Whatever route you choose, include the Conor Pass - one of the most beautiful climbs anywhere. West of Dingle is spectacular. I'd suggest a loop out to Slea Head, back to Dingle then over and back on the Conor Pass, followed by re-hydration in one of the many excellent local hostelries. If memo serves that's a nice 80k or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement