Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink grass

Options
  • 09-06-2017 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me with this, I've noticed over the last few weeks my grass has taken a turn for the worse. It looks like it's drying out but obviously with the rain we have had that can't be right.
    The tips seem slightly sticky ish and are looking a pinkish colour. thanks, Nigel

Edit; sorry had to post pics separately as files were too large

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Another pic

Pic

Pic

Pic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd suspect mould of some sorts.
    The thatch is awfully dense there with no sunlight or air getting to the soil, I see mushrooms - again signs that mould is growing.

If your mulching the grass I'd stop.

It looks like it would benifet from detaching.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I'd suspect mould of some sorts.
    The thatch is awfully dense there with no sunlight or air getting to the soil, I see mushrooms - again signs that mould is growing.

If your mulching the grass I'd stop.

It looks like it would benifet from detaching.

Cheers yeah I pulled away some of the grass and noticed there is crazy thick stuff between the grass and soil, I always use the grass box and have been cutting the grass weekly this year on a medium setting and had been delighted how well it was looking up until recently. Any ideas what's caused it?

Two close ups, it's feels kind of spongey, like a moss?
    Edit; just reading up on the causes of a thick thatch and I think I might be guilty of using too much fertiliser this year, will a normal steel rake be any use at dethatching? It's a leaf rake so has lots of skinny tines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The pinkish parts are the natural colour of the leaf sheath of the stolons ( horizontally growing part of grass instead of vertical) of this species. Nothing to worry about and doesn't require chemical treatment.

Give it a cut; rake with the spring time and cut again, using a different route. Keep the regular maintenance and feeding programme without overdoing it.

The pinkish parts are the natural colour of the leaf sheath of the stolons ( horizontally growing part of grass instead of vertical) of this species. Nothing to worry about and doesn't require chemical treatment.

Give it a cut; rake with the spring time and cut again, using a different route. Keep the regular maintenance and feeding programme without overdoing it.

Thanks for that, I gave it a quick raking on one small area and got a massive amount of stuff up. The garden isn't huge so I'll get stuck into it tomorrow and see how I get on. So should I just use an "aftercut" type feed when I'm finished?

That what I'm aiming to remove?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes the rake with long springy tines is the one to use, and yes that is what you are aiming to remove :)

Cheers lads, much appreciated

So I mowed it very short today and dethatched it in both directions, removed a massive amount of stuff so hopefully it starts to recover, should I feed it or water it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Light feed would be no harm, rule with feeding is little and often.

_Brian wrote: »
    Light feed would be no harm, rule with feeding is little and often.

Cheers, I have evergreen feed weed and moss stuff there, that any use or what should I be using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The grass has been stressed very much by what has happened, so a feed is in order. Use a feed that has a low enough N content (3-5%) because it is roots that will drive the recovery and you don't want the plant focusing on producing lots of grass just yet. Spring or Autumn feed will be fine if you can get it. Tomato feed can be used too but I'd advise diluting it further if it is very high in N.
    In a few weeks you could apply a higher N fertiliser.

The grass has been stressed very much by what has happened, so a feed is in order. Use a feed that has a low enough N content (3-5%) because it is roots that will drive the recovery and you don't want the plant focusing on producing lots of grass just yet. Spring or Autumn feed will be fine if you can get it. Tomato feed can be used too but I'd advise diluting it further if it is very high in N.
    In a few weeks you could apply a higher N fertiliser.

Thanks I'll have a look tomorrow and see what I can pick up local

Advertisement