Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think they will compress mens weight classes again for Olympics? Or have "non-

• 09-06-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭

(Title: Do you think that they will compress mens weight classes again for Olympics? Or have "non-Olympic" weights)

The quotas for two weight classes will be moved from male to female boxing for Tokyo.
    Given that boxing moved from 12 weight classes to 10 not so long ago, do you think that there is scope to further compress to 8 for the Olympics? I remember when the previous change happened and there was a bit of confusion as to how the weights would change, and then when it happened there was concern that it would compress a lot of boxers from two very popular weights of welter and light-middle into one weight. Getting rid of featherweight left arguably bigger relative gaps for the remaining lighter weights, but they wouldn't be as popular (at least not in the European countries)
    I think that it would leave the gaps too big to be honest.
    But what is the alternative? Have two weights with no Olympic places?
    I guess that you could bring down the SH limit to 85/86 maybe (equivalently, bring lower limit for heavy to 85/86 and do away with upper limit for heavy and no SH)  and bring up the light fly base and then try to squeeze two out.
    Keeping the same categories would mean designating two weights which don't have Olympic places. But I'd assume AIBA can still have what they want for World Championships etc. Maybe that's the way to go.
    What do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

I think it's pathetic that there's any consideration for less weights in the first place. Did athletics have to reduce men's events when various women's distance events, triple jump and pole vault were introduced? No. And rightfully so!

I think the top honchos in boxing need to stand up for themselves and stop being such pussies. Boxing was one of the original core Olympic sports! If they want less competitions, get rid of synchronized swimming and the likes. I can't imagine too many average punters would shed any tears at their absence.

Advertisement