Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers terrorizing Circular Road.

Options
  • 09-06-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

A family has received a council house next to Roberts Hill (on the circular road). Since these people have moved in the area has been terrorized, Old people live right next door and they are being terrorized, afraid to leave their homes. Today I saw one of their offspring with a golf club hitting the wall of the neighbors homes, clearly attempting to terrify these elderly people. The guards have been called there multiple times but it's always a joke and a laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

In the last week one of my lads was cycling down Bleach Road during the afternoon and a car full of middle-aged traveller men passed him and one of the lobbed a takeaway coffee at him which drenched him. Lucky it wasn't hot.

Then earlier this week in the wee hours my other boy was driving to MacDonalds and on the roundabout by Nowlan Park a group of about nine traveller twentysomethings passed him and one of the threw a capped full bottle of Budweiser at his car shattering the back passenger window and exploding in the car. Luckily neither him nor his front seat passenger got cut by the glass but anyone in the back seat would have had the head blown off them.

I'm normally a live and let live person but this has wound me up no end.

Terrorising elderly people is awful. Nobody wants to tangle with the <SNIP> though.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

In the last week one of my lads was cycling down Bleach Road during the afternoon and a car full of middle-aged traveller men passed him and one of the lobbed a takeaway coffee at him which drenched him. Lucky it wasn't hot.

Then earlier this week in the wee hours my other boy was driving to MacDonalds and on the roundabout by Nowlan Park a group of about nine traveller twentysomethings passed him and one of the threw a capped full bottle of Budweiser at his car shattering the back passenger window and exploding in the car. Luckily neither him nor his front seat passenger got cut by the glass but anyone in the back seat would have had the head blown off them.

Terrorising elderly people is awful. Nobody wants to tangle with the <SNIP> though.

The McDonald's spot is bad for that. Twice I've had things thrown at the car. They hide on the slope at the side of the ring road opposite the Toyota garage, so you can't see them until they pop up.

The first time was a tennis ball which startled me, but not too bad. The second one was a rock that bounced off the windscreen. Thankfully it didn't break or crack, the rock came from an angle so it wasn't straight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

These people must think they are at war with the '"settled folk" and that is how I see it. I'd guess there must be close to 20 kids roaming the street from that house and they have those elderly neighbours absolutely terrified. Is this how we treat we are old folks here, they work all their lives and deserve peace and quiet. Instead they have these put next to them. I actualy felt my blood boil driving past, I had a good mind to get out and ring the twats neck. If they did that to my wall outside my house he wouldn't be walking home. These <SNIP> thrive by preying on the weak and vulnerable. When will we stand up to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Unfortunately in this country noone will stand up to them expecially the law.

They are a law to themselves and settled people can do nothing about it.

Best advice is move. It's a battle that will never be won.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

out & out bigotry and inflammatory remarks wont be tolerated. Stick to facts not sweeping generalisations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Wow...

I love the ordinary decent people who suddenly turn into the Fourth Reich with the mention of travelers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

That is a no go area with them, they seem to think that's there patch , I have heard people saying even in st kierans cemetery people are getting haseled.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I work in a retail shop in the city. Of all the people that come in, travellers are by far the worst group that we have constant trouble with. I don't blame the small kids, it's the parents. Those children are brought up that way and taught how to steal etc.. We have had 2/3 mothers come in suss out the place, see what they want to rob. Then a few hours later send in small children to rob.
    Another example was that a couple of adults distracted us while 2 kids, aged about 4, robbed 3 poor boxes off the counter.
    There is a huge problem with another family who've recently been moved into an apartment on Maudlin St. Rubbish dumped all over the place at night. Windows smashed on the adjacent apartments. They are making life hell for the rest of the residents.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Curious really, all the stories mentioned above.

Did the people these happened to report the incidents to the gardai straight away ? Or did you just go about your business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Now I don't know what's been edited out of the previous post by the Mod, but I really feel uneasy when discussions like this get censored. I think people should be able to share their experiences and feelings on the issue frankly. I've a load of respect for the hard work Mods do and it seems we've still been able to read about people's experiences here, which is good. However, as long as people are talking about their own feelings from direct experience of anybody in society they should be free to explain how it makes them feel. I know there's a fine line between making discriminatory statements and freedom​ of expression, but the almost paranoid inability to talk honestly about this social group is part of the problem in Ireland IMO.

Those sound like horrible experiences. I hope the powers that be address them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

Gaspode wrote: »
    out & out bigotry and inflammatory remarks wont be tolerated. Stick to facts not sweeping generalisations

What do you mean by 'stick to the facts'. People are being terrorised in their home in Kilkenny. What facts do you want, other than first-hand accounts of the behavior of the SNIPS?

Sounds like a poorly veiled attempt by you to shut down the discussion Mr Mod.

I can provide dozens of FACTS about the snip community if you'd like, with citations included. How's that going to shut down the discussion though... hmm.

EmoCourt wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'stick to the facts'. People are being terrorised in their home in Kilkenny. What facts do you want, other than first-hand accounts of the behavior of the SNIPS?

Sounds like a poorly veiled attempt by you to shut down the discussion Mr Mod.

I can provide dozens of FACTS about the snip community if you'd like, with citations included. How's that going to shut down the discussion though... hmm.

I think calling for forced sterilisation and ethnic cleansing was the problem there. Nothing to do with with shutting down the discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

boombang wrote: »
    Now I don't know what's been edited out of the previous post by the Mod, but I really feel uneasy when discussions like this get censored. I think people should be able to share their experiences and feelings on the issue frankly. I've a load of respect for the hard work Mods do and it seems we've still been able to read about people's experiences here, which is good. However, as long as people are talking about their own feelings from direct experience of anybody in society they should be free to explain how it makes them feel. I know there's a fine line between making discriminatory statements and freedom​ of expression, but the almost paranoid inability to talk honestly about this social group is part of the problem in Ireland IMO.

Those sound like horrible experiences. I hope the powers that be address them.

Not censored, moderated.

The same moderation would have been applied if we were talking about any other grouping of humans sharing a common trait or background regardless of what that group is.

It is eminently possible to discuss travellers or any other topic in an adult manner without resorting to name calling and advocating violence.

It is not unreasonable to expect adults to express their distaste or unhappiness about something without resorting to what some of the posters above resorted to.

Any further comments or discussion regarding moderation can be done by PM please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think given their recent status upgrade travellers are being given a green light to up the anty on their "way of life".

I honestly feel for their neighbors but I think the answer is move away from them, you could try and stick it out in the hopes they'll move, but life is too short.

I would love to see some decent compromise where the social aspects of their lifestyle is accommodated but while they refuse to acknowledge the scale of the antisocial behaviours and address same nothing will improve.

The usual "it's a small minority" speech is trotted out by their representatives, and they close ranks.

If it were truly a small minority wouldn't you think they'd easily weed them out considering the nad press this "small minority" brings on them.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Curious really, all the stories mentioned above.

Did the people these happened to report the incidents to the gardai straight away ? Or did you just go about your business?
    Yes I reported an incident on the Hebron road one Sunday evening my wing mirror was been lashed at by a young lad, people wont except this also there was people been haseled in st kierans cemetery that was reported went to the kilkenny people.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

Am I right in understanding the travellers are free to post here, like anybody else, to defend themselves and their actions? I look forward to see what they have to say, y'know, for purposes of balanced debate

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

My friend is selling her house in Robertshill because of this family. Anything that isn't tied down has been lifted from her back garden. Everything reported to police but they won't do anything unless they catch them in the act.
    I had a near miss on the circular road in February when one of the kids from the house threw a tricycle out onto the road right in front of my car. I was lucky there were no other vehicles coming as I had to swerve towards the ditch on the other side of The road to avoid hitting the trike. Part of me did wonder was he trying to stage a fake accident but I don't know...he was only about 10. I reported that to the cops too but they just seemed like they'd heard it all before and told me they'd send a car down there. Never heard anything since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    Am I right in understanding the travellers are free to post here, like anybody else, to defend themselves and their actions? I look forward to see what they have to say, y'know, for purposes of balanced debate

Somehow I don't think this will happen.. I don't think they're that advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

A friend of mine in Robertshill had his bike stolen and noticed the eldest sibling of the "neighbours" riding it on the Circular Road and into the house, rang the gardai who said "we cannot just go in and accuse him of stealing the bike" friend said get a warrant then I want my bike back. 3 weeks later after hearing nothing from the cop he went in himself and took the bike out of the yard. Every single "incident" in and around Robertshill/Circular road is reported to the gardai and council but nothing is done. The council housing dept. were asked by resident associations and councillors not to place this family there because of their previous form but everyone was ignored and now they are in it's a bigger problem to move them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Somedude9 wrote: »
    Wow...

Nice addition to the thread. Anything else you'd like to add or do you just troll these forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

fg1406 wrote: »
    My friend is selling her house in Robertshill because of this family. Anything that isn't tied down has been lifted from her back garden. Everything reported to police but they won't do anything unless they catch them in the act.
    I had a near miss on the circular road in February when one of the kids from the house threw a tricycle out onto the road right in front of my car. I was lucky there were no other vehicles coming as I had to swerve towards the ditch on the other side of The road to avoid hitting the trike. Part of me did wonder was he trying to stage a fake accident but I don't know...he was only about 10. I reported that to the cops too but they just seemed like they'd heard it all before and told me they'd send a car down there. Never heard anything since.

Your friend is dead right, life's too short.

_Brian wrote: »
    Your friend is dead right, life's too short.

His argument was if they can walk into my house and take it without prosecution then why can't I? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

If it's a council house, would enough complaints to the council from the public and gardai not evict them?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

AnneFrank wrote: »
    If it's a council house, would enough complaints to the council from the public and gardai not evict them?

Citizens information site refers only to other LA tenants or Housing Association tenants affected by anti social behaviour. Can Joe Public make a complaint?

AnneFrank wrote: »
    are they not private houses there was problems there from the time they were built, if they are private rented out to the council and there was on going problems can you not go to the prtb make a complaint that way.

DickoHara wrote:
    are they not private houses there was problems there from the time they were built, if they are private rented out to the council and there was on going problems can you not go to the prtb make a complaint that way.

What house's?

Comerman wrote: »
    What house's?
    The houses in Roberts hill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There is no legal solution to dealing with Traveller crime.
    Gardai do nothing.
    The Courts do nothing.
    The politicians do nothing (yet idiot voters keep reelecting them).

You have 2 options . One is to move.

• Advertisement

A majority of the houses are privately owned and then there's rented, council and RAS in Robertshill but I must point out that the house in question is NOT in Robertshill but on the circular Road. It was a privately owned house the council purchased for e250, 000 and Done it up the neighbours have been living there all their lives. I'm in Robertshill 14 years and any trouble was mainly due to council tenants but I will say don't always believe what you hear ðŸ‘

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement